log loading.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paccity

paccity

Addicted to ArboristSite
overkill . got the guys on the 160 ton steam crane to lift a log on the old c cab jimmy. thanks to sheldon for the help.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

hanniedog

hanniedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
Got to see a steam crane in action in the early seventies prior to Penn Centrals going belly up. The last train near my house derailed some wheels on a coal car. The crane barely chugged when it picked up the end of the coal car. Rolled under the new wheels and it was good to go. That track ran from Cincy all the way to Cleveland.

paccity

paccity

Addicted to ArboristSite
would have used tongs and spreader bar, but the crane crew felt more comfy rigging it this way. they usually anly lift a set of trucks for demos. aint much that crane can't lift.

hanniedog

hanniedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
Think the coal car was rated at 150,000 gross weight and the crane was good for 300,000. Who ever was in charge of the crane had it looking like new. Sad to think it probably got scrapped.

paccity

paccity

Addicted to ArboristSite
wish i had some pics of torinocobra and i when we were skidding from the deck , sheldon is a good chokersetter . the ol clark is sometimes hard to turn with twotires down and a descent 33 footer behind it. sheldon even rode the turn a couple times. " na he didn't" :msp_rolleyes::msp_wink::msp_sneaky:

paccity

paccity

Addicted to ArboristSite
What is the little truck? Is that Crocodile Dundee over seeing things? JK

1919? gmc logger. he was one of the crane guys signaling too the operators. if you look at the truck just before and after the loads on it only squatted about 3" . and with hard rubber you don't want to drive it much unloaded.