Log splitter advise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
firemedic565
F

firemedic565

I'm in the market for a log splitter. I'm thinking 26-28 ton vertical and horizontal. What is a good brand to buy and what should I stay away from. I like the Oregon the iron and oak and the brave units so far. Thanks

Whitespider
I can't testify to quality... but the thing looked to be extremely well built.
I was at Menards just a few days ago and spotted a 22-Ton on sale for $899.oo (normally $999.oo) plus a $200.00 mail in rebate... damn hard to beat $699.00 for a 22-Ton horizontal/vertical convertible these days. I believe it's their "house brand", Forest King or some such, with a 6.5 HP LCT horizontal shaft engine, 24-inch stroke, log cradle, 8-inch wedge and 14 second cycle time. The engine looks like those 6.5 HP engines that sell for $99.oo on sale at Harbor Freight... so likely the splitter is a Chinese build, or at least parts are sourced from them. But still... $700 (after rebate) leaves a lot of cash free if an upgraded part may (or may not) be needed down the road.

Here's a link...
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...22-ton-gas-log-splitter/p-1705000-c-10115.htm

c5rulz

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Wow, Whitespider you are the bargain hound. For the money that doesn't look bad and a horizontal shaft motor too.

A month ago I got a Speeco 28 ton at Farm and Fleet for $1350 and a $100 off that if you opened one of their credit cards.

ponyexpress976

ponyexpress976

nipple fritters
$700 is a great price for a splitter...even if you need to replace a few bits here and there. After all, it's a splitter. Not much to it so if your half way decent with maintenance, the crappy parts should last quite a while.

Whitespider
$700 is a great price for a splitter...

Yeah, I thought so.
But a fella' would have to make up his mind pretty quick, that sale price is good through this Sunday (don't know how long the rebate is offered). I did a bit more checking, it is a Chinese build, but so is a lot of stuff with an American brand name on it. Not everything coming out'a China is crap; just like American made stuff there's low quality, good quality and high quality. That splitter appears to be made by Jiashan Superpower Tools Co. Ltd, model LS22.
Here's a link...
http://www.cnsuperpower.com/product...=comp-FrontProducts_list01-1312788152541.html
I looked that splitter over pretty good and it didn't look like a crap build... but looks can be deceiving. I will say the welds looked well done and Menards isn't known for selling crappy stuff.

But hey... I ain't recommending purchase, just passing-on what I came across.

Last edited:
tomtrees58

tomtrees58

Addicted to ArboristSite
if you can get one i&o is your best bet or timber wolf
28ui6nn.jpg
hvq9fk.jpg

diezelsmoke

diezelsmoke

ArboristSite Operative
Menards has been doing this deal for about 3 years now a couple times a year and I always buy a new one everytime and sell mine and get between 850 - 1000 on craigs list, I missed it one time because I was on vacation and had to keep it for 10 months. These are great units out of the box, never had a problem with the engine hyd. etc., they have like a 2 year warranty.

damato333

damato333

ArboristSite Operative
A couple a years ago I had the chance to buy a timberwolf for $1,000. It was really beat up. Now that I think about I'm pissed I didn't because for an extra $2,000 and a little work I could've had a brand new tw-5 for 1/3 of what a new one costs. I suggest if you have the tools and the know how, look for an old beat up timberwolf and overhaul the whole thing. You'll spend more than those horizontal/vertical spitters but it will last a very long time.

saxman

saxman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a 26 ton Brave for the last 8 years and it's been a great unit. My splitter has a Briggs Intek 8 hp and it's done a good job

John R

John R

Addicted to ArboristSite
I can't testify to quality... but the thing looked to be extremely well built.
I was at Menards just a few days ago and spotted a 22-Ton on sale for $899.oo (normally $999.oo) plus a $200.00 mail in rebate... damn hard to beat $699.00 for a 22-Ton horizontal/vertical convertible these days. I believe it's their "house brand", Forest King or some such, with a 6.5 HP LCT horizontal shaft engine, 24-inch stroke, log cradle, 8-inch wedge and 14 second cycle time. The engine looks like those 6.5 HP engines that sell for $99.oo on sale at Harbor Freight... so likely the splitter is a Chinese build, or at least parts are sourced from them. But still... $700 (after rebate) leaves a lot of cash free if an upgraded part may (or may not) be needed down the road.

Here's a link...
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...22-ton-gas-log-splitter/p-1705000-c-10115.htm
That's a great price, even if you find out it's not the one for you, you could most likely recoup your money by selling it later on.

ash man

ash man

ArboristSite Guru
It looks like the Champion I bought at Rural King for $699 after discounts, except mine has a full beam. So fare it has split everything I've thrown at it including some really knarly 3' rounds. Very happy for $699.

angelo c
A couple a years ago I had the chance to buy a timberwolf for $1,000. It was really beat up. Now that I think about I'm pissed I didn't because for an extra $2,000 and a little work I could've had a brand new tw-5 for 1/3 of what a new one costs. I suggest if you have the tools and the know how, look for an old beat up timberwolf and overhaul the whole thing. You'll spend more than those horizontal/vertical spitters but it will last a very long time.

The problem with that theory is that you need to find a "beat to hell" TW...there are none...they are beat, they are used hard, they are put away wet and you still get a phenomenal return on your investment. Ive been looking for one used and ragged for years....a beat to hell TW 5 in theses parts still sells for $4000. I would love to repower one with a lombardini diesel

lon

ArboristSite Member
I first had a Iron and Oak and sold it to buy a TW-5. Both great splitters but the TW-5 is my favorite by far. Large difference in price too! Like most items you buy, you get what you pay for. Especially true with log splitters. Sorry I did not get a TW-5 many years ago.

Latest posts