Log Splitter Beam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck building the splitter and hope I didn't offend anyone with the tech talk.

Um, "offend"?

Marine, anybody who is offended because someone who has REAL knowledge shares it with us hobbyists is just off his rocker, and can go pound sand!

Thanks for the good info, and keep it up! :cheers:

No problem at all. I like to help when I can and like to see what you guys are designing and building.
Funny that I actually have never made a wood splitter for myself, but the physics and mechanics can be applied to lots of steel designs including wood splitters.
I have however been asked on several occasions for input on home made designs to solve some problems for friends and acquaintances wood splitter designs and other steel designs (trailers, structures, ramp designs etc.).
I enjoy it and am pretty good at it I guess (without being arrogant...lol).
Maybe I should build myself my own wood splitter some day.
I may save a bit of cash buying firewood in log lengths and cutting and splitting them.

I'll start

I'm still in the planning stages for building a splitter. Most use a W shaped beam for the backbone but what if you don't have one. How would you construct a beam to handle a true 20 to 25 tons out of of pieces like what Blades did? Beam length would be 7ft. The current beam I have is 4 pieces of 5in wide 1/4inch plate welded into a box with small over hangs. Can you determine the strength of this setup? It is a 3pt splitter with a 4x30x2 cylinder. Also have access to I beams that are 12in tall. Not sure on width or thickness of the material. Thanks for any help

Brian

Here is another pic of my beam with the cylinder and push plate. I went this route after noticing rotation force being applied to the original beam ( nasty twisted elm ect.) Rather than taking a w unit and then boxing it figured it was already done this way. Guide wings for the push plate are 1x1x.125" angle iron welded on, easy enough to replace if get mangled. I have since upgraded the push plate guide/ keepers to 1/2" material. This resolved a problem of deforming these when splitting large rounds due to pressure applied at the top of the push plate. The center line of the cylinder is about 4" above the beam.

Back