Log Splitter bogs and makes excessive vibration noise?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livennine01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Not sure what the problem is here. My splitter will run fine when idling but when you extend the cyclinder it makes a weird noise. It's not the squeal noise when you are at the end or anything. Also the noise occurs again when you retract it. I've opened the lines and tried to bleed them thinking there might be some air, but no dice still does it. This is not to say that I am not bleeding correctly either. Last night I redid the fittings from the filter to the pump. Something also is that my splitter made a similar noise like this a long time ago with the coupling. However that problem was that the new engine didn't properly align exactly to the pump and shredded the love joy spider. I've since found a pump mount and it has ran fine good until now. I've also checked the spider and without taking the whole thing apart, it looks good and mounting bolts are tight. I am at a lost as to what is causing this.

8hp Briggs engine, rebuilt cylinder 1 1/2 year ago, high usage split almost weekly.

Thanks in advance

It should self bleed. It could be the cylinder,valve,filter etc. Try grease on the slide? A guage on the pressure side will help you pinpoint a lot of problems.

If it has a suction filter inside the tank remove it and check it out.Mine was clogged and the pump was making noise.

It doesn't have any problems with sliding up and down the plank. Something I did notice is when I first start her up, she is fine. It does not start making the noise until after about 1/2 hour of splitting. This is starting to lead me to that there might be air getting into the system or as you stated about the filter/pump, because the filter is right before the pump, so perhaps there is something clogging somewhere. I'll see what I can find on my next day off. Thanks again for the ideas.

The fluid isn't that old. Actually had the cyclinder rehoned about a 1 1/2 ago. At that time all new fittings and hoses were put in it plus fluid. However, upon looking at it more closely noticed something new. The cylinder is leaking. Someone told me that it might be wearing out the seals since the cyclinder case is welded to the plank and it doesn't have much give. Basically, if splitting something and say your going through something hard and it has knots, maybe it my push the cylinder to one side or another eventually wearing out the seal. Anyway, the point is could that cause it to suck air in then though the cycinder? Again, it only starts making the noise after a half hour to an hour. So I can only assume that the fluid needs to get nice and warm for the viscosity to be right for it to begin allowing air in it. Thanks again for all the help and recommendations so far. This thing has just got me puzzled? Have not had a chance to run a pressure guage. Looked those up and for the price $75-125, I might just take it in.

Want to thank you all for the comments and suggestions. While out cleaning it and getting ready to redo the lines again, I found that the Direction Control Valve was missing a bolt in the back on a cap cover. There is a cap and I guess my lever is universal for which end to put the lever on and the cap was missing a bolt which allowed air in. I've put another bolt in it and have ran it twice for 1-2 hours each time and no problems!
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back