log splitter damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic8852

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My buddy loaned out our splitter to his neighbor...got it back looking like this. wow i said. He's taking it to the welding shop tomorrow to have it fixed for us.....View attachment 254031
254031d1348453182-v__5302-jpg

That sucks but at least he is taking care of it. I only lend stuff out to the people close to me that if somthing happens to it when they have that can and will take care of it.

Yeah, my buddy and i discussed the situation this evening and we decided that loaning our toys out may not be a good idea anymore. Loaned it out to a different guy last year that brought it back with a flat tire. Hopefully the machine shop/welding shop isn't too busy, we've got a ton of wood to split...

doesnt look like a difficult fix ,Ive seen much worse carnage when operators under estimate the power of hydraulics p.s. I never loan ANY of my firewood toys jk

ever tried to tow a trailer with a 2" hitch with a 1-7/8"ball?
well me and a friend built a splitter together he loaned it out to a friend
towing down the highway and it came off the splitter bounced over the guardrail and into oncoming traffic. it shot across both lanes and smashed into the fence..
the guy re-hitched it back up and hulled ass back to my friend place before the cops showed up..
all that happened to it was popped a tire and broke two hydraulic lines

towing down the highway and it came off the splitter bounced over the guardrail and into oncoming traffic. it shot across both lanes and smashed into the fence..
the guy re-hitched it back up and hulled ass back to my friend place before the cops showed up..

HWY12? I doubt Ian will loan that splitter out to him again...

This hits very close to home- my brother borrowed my Mule yesterday. On his way home the ball mount broke where is welded to the drawbar. Luckily the safety chains held and it only ground the jack foot down. He was able to limp on home at 20MPH with the chains holding. The jack foot is held in place with a clevis pin, so that will be a quick fix. This particular hitch was a 2" which is seldom used and still looks brand new. He will be calling the mfg to see if they want the piece back. There is no doubt it was a manufacturing defect. We are just thankful no one was hurt.

i don't loan any equipment out to anyone except for dhibbs75 my neighbor or maybe someone off of AS,, i loaned my riding mower to another neighbor a few years back and it came back screwed up,, loaned the same mower to another guy i knew about the same time and it came back with bent blades,,, i hate to say no to neighbors but dang i hate when it comes back torn up,, so i don't loan anything out any more

I see all the time on here where folks talk about how they will not loan anything out.

I wonder how many of those same folks have NEVER borrowed something ?

I look at it much differently. If a guy needs something for a short time and you have it why should they buy it, use it then shelf it. Tools are one excellent example. There are thousands of specialty tools that make jobs so much simpler. If I own one I will gladly loan it out. If it comes back damaged I know it will be taken care of. How many times does the average individual have to use a serpentine belt tool? How about a power steering pulley puller ?

I live in farm country. Loaning, borrowing, trading ,and bartering has always been a normal practice. I will say that with the influx of newer people moving out here it has steadily declined. There is a gentleman in the community that has a mini-excavator. I think it gets used by others more than by him. I can I was building fence last fall and was having a heck of a time drilling holes. I ended up borrowing the neighbors Danuser. It spent teh winter in our shed as he said he did not need it back anytime soon. As it sat there I noticed it had a slight bend in the male shaft. It still worked find but I was not sure if I did that or not. I wanted it to be right so I bought another complete Danuser digger and switched the shaft out with his. When I returned his unit it had a better shaft in it then when I borrowed it. I know if the situation was reversed with any neighbor around here the result would be the same.

Bill

I see all the time on here where folks talk about how they will not loan anything out.

I wonder how many of those same folks have NEVER borrowed something ?

I look at it much differently. If a guy needs something for a short time and you have it why should they buy it, use it then shelf it. Tools are one excellent example. There are thousands of specialty tools that make jobs so much simpler. If I own one I will gladly loan it out. If it comes back damaged I know it will be taken care of. How many times does the average individual have to use a serpentine belt tool? How about a power steering pulley puller ?

I live in farm country. Loaning, borrowing, trading ,and bartering has always been a normal practice. I will say that with the influx of newer people moving out here it has steadily declined. There is a gentleman in the community that has a mini-excavator. I think it gets used by others more than by him. I can I was building fence last fall and was having a heck of a time drilling holes. I ended up borrowing the neighbors Danuser. It spent teh winter in our shed as he said he did not need it back anytime soon. As it sat there I noticed it had a slight bend in the male shaft. It still worked find but I was not sure if I did that or not. I wanted it to be right so I bought another complete Danuser digger and switched the shaft out with his. When I returned his unit it had a better shaft in it then when I borrowed it. I know if the situation was reversed with any neighbor around here the result would be the same.

Bill
The only problem is disrespectful people, and there seem to be alot of them nowadays. Ive load tools out, and they bring them back broken and say "i didnt do it" or "it was that way when i got it" When you get burned over a couple times from someone busting your stuff up, you tend not to lend out anymore lol. I see from your perspective though, if people were as respectful for other peoples property as mentioned, wouldnt be an issue.

Almost anything I've loaned out has come back broken or not at all. People don't respect other people tools, and abuse them. I let a neighbor borrow a couple garden hoses, and had to ask for them back half a dozen times before finally getting them.

Most people won't even offer to repair or replace the tool, and claim that it was already broken, or "just broke" for no reason.

It's sad that things have made it to that point, but I don't even like to loan tools to some family members. I know how well they take care of things.

Seems like there are three kinds of people when it comes to tools

1) The guy who wants the right tool for the job, pays what it takes to get the right tool, learns how to use the tool properly and takes care of the tool. He may even see one single use for the tool, but figure the investment is worth it because a future use might occur and having that right tool on hand can save all types of time and grief.

2) The guy who wants to use the right tool for the job, but can't justify the expense for the one time or occasional use, so he goes to a tool rental shop and rents the appropriate tool for the job.

3) The guy who is too cheap to buy or rent the tool and he figure his buddy who owns the right tool for the job is obligated to let him borrow it. This guy could care less about learning how to use the tool properly, when he damages the tool he figures it's the manufacturers fault for making a defective tool, and when he returns it to th owner looking like he'd drug it behind his pickup he's baffled that the owner is pizzed about the abuse to the tool. He says, "Well heck, if you cared about the tool so much, why did you let me borrow it."

I think you'll find most here fall into catagory number 1.

I have a good friend who has a well apointed shop, a complete mess, but he's got plenty of tools. I remember once mentioning I'd just bought a pneumatic nailer, he said why didn't just borrow mine? Not only did I want to have the nailer for future jobs, but I feel bad borrowing a friends tool because I would hate to return it in anything less than the condition it was in when I borrowed it. I'd be bummed to loose a friendship over ruining a friends tool.

I guess it comes down to the guy who is too cheap to buy the right tool, is too cheap to replace yours when he damages it. And there are plenty of guys who I would gladly let borrow a tool, but they always seem to be the guys that already have that tool, and take care of that tool.

BTW, I lent my chainsaw out once. Came back not running, both chains well and goodly driven into the dirt, and the two wedges I loaned out with the saw to free a pinched bar had been lost and all the pre-mix and bar oil was used up. I couldn't be mad because this was to clear land for building a church. But if I was asked to loan my saw again for the same project, I'd give them $100 and say go to the tool rental place, rent one of there saws and buy a spare loop of chain, a file and a couple wedges to free a pinched bar and appropriate fluids.

Seems like there are three kinds of people when it comes to tools

1) The guy who wants the right tool for the job, pays what it takes to get the right tool, learns how to use the tool properly and takes care of the tool. He may even see one single use for the tool, but figure the investment is worth it because a future use might occur and having that right tool on hand can save all types of time and grief.

2) The guy who wants to use the right tool for the job, but can't justify the expense for the one time or occasional use, so he goes to a tool rental shop and rents the appropriate tool for the job.

3) The guy who is too cheap to buy or rent the tool and he figure his buddy who owns the right tool for the job is obligated to let him borrow it. This guy could care less about learning how to use the tool properly, when he damages the tool he figures it's the manufacturers fault for making a defective tool, and when he returns it to th owner looking like he'd drug it behind his pickup he's baffled that the owner is pizzed about the abuse to the tool. He says, "Well heck, if you cared about the tool so much, why did you let me borrow it."

I think you'll find most here fall into catagory number 1.

I have a good friend who has a well apointed shop, a complete mess, but he's got plenty of tools. I remember once mentioning I'd just bought a pneumatic nailer, he said why didn't just borrow mine? Not only did I want to have the nailer for future jobs, but I feel bad borrowing a friends tool because I would hate to return it in anything less than the condition it was in when I borrowed it. I'd be bummed to loose a friendship over ruining a friends tool.

I guess it comes down to the guy who is too cheap to buy the right tool, is too cheap to replace yours when he damages it. And there are plenty of guys who I would gladly let borrow a tool, but they always seem to be the guys that already have that tool, and take care of that tool.

BTW, I lent my chainsaw out once. Came back not running, both chains well and goodly driven into the dirt, and the two wedges I loaned out with the saw to free a pinched bar had been lost and all the pre-mix and bar oil was used up. I couldn't be mad because this was to clear land for building a church. But if I was asked to loan my saw again for the same project, I'd give them $100 and say go to the tool rental place, rent one of there saws and buy a spare loop of chain, a file and a couple wedges to free a pinched bar and appropriate fluids.

It does seem as though the people that I would loan tools to, already have what they need.

My general rule of thumb is if at work, I borrow a tool more than once a month I buy that tool.

That said there is a few guys that i have bought one tool,and they another with the idea of sharing them between us. But that is only with a few people that I trust, and know they would replace it, and they have, if it breaks.

Well I lent my splitter to a buddy and he broke the welds last week too, but he has done a lot of upgrades to it and fixes it so I have no problem there. Another buddy want to split some oak with it and he'll get the job of welding it before he uses it. No problems with either guy since both can and will fix it properly (without being asked) and always bring my stuff back as good or often better than when they got it from me. Nobody else get to use it though.

The borrower took it to the welding shop today to have it fixed. I don't personally know him, but he's my buddy's neighbor, and since we share the splitter, it was his decision. The man is making good on it and everything will be fine. I also have alot of tools and such that i will loan out to certain people, ones that i know can appreciate them and take care of them. There are others out there, that as described above, will borrow your tools, return them broken, dirty, empty, or whatever and they think that its just fine and dandy. That is really the only problem I have. If you need something, sure, i got ya, here ya go, but please return in the condition you got it. All in all, the splitter is getting fixed and i'll be out in the woods soon enough. not today though, it's raining. :frown:

The borrower took it to the welding shop today to have it fixed. I don't personally know him, but he's my buddy's neighbor, and since we share the splitter, it was his decision. The man is making good on it and everything will be fine. I also have alot of tools and such that i will loan out to certain people, ones that i know can appreciate them and take care of them. There are others out there, that as described above, will borrow your tools, return them broken, dirty, empty, or whatever and they think that its just fine and dandy. That is really the only problem I have. If you need something, sure, i got ya, here ya go, but please return in the condition you got it. All in all, the splitter is getting fixed and i'll be out in the woods soon enough. not today though, it's raining. :frown:

Where abouts in IL are ya??

I will loan out almost any tool i have... except any of my saws. I always look at it as "what it i was in his position and needed that tool"
Iv never been burned, always got my tools back in good condition! :)

Latest posts

Back