log splitter help!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddy3

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I will make this short and sweet, I posted this thread around the 25 January that had many replys but I dont know what happen to it but I cant find it, anyway I had bought a Speeco 28 ton with a Honda GX270, motor cranked and run good and the cylinder would go in and out but when you put a piece of wood under it over 6 inches in diameter it would just get to the log and just stop and actually load the engine pretty bad, the control valve was worn out and someone had it hooked up with the detent on the down stroke and would not stay depressed sometimes, so I replaced the controll valve and the pump with a 16 gpm 2 stage like what was on there, changed the fluid and filter, cranked it up and was really no change except it actually loaded the engine even worse, so I supected the cylinder was bad but most people suggested that if the cylinder was bad that it would not load the engine but just return to the tank, but I finally talked to a guy that used to build them for iorn and oak and he told me to replace the cylinder and it would solve my problem, so I replaced it and needless to say it will split anything you put under it at an idle, he said it had something to do with blowing straight by with so much volume and not building enough pressure to kick the pump into high pressure and bogging the engine, any way problem solved and you can rest assure that a completely sloppy worn out cylinder will still load a properly running 9HP Honda when fluid is bypassing a a high volume.
But I would like to offer a huge THANKS to all of you guys that offered your time and knowledge.

I'm glad you got the splitter up and running. Is your other cylinder not re buildable? The first time I fired mine up I had a similar situation, rebuilt the cylinder and it's been great since.

I'm glad you got the splitter up and running. Is your other cylinder not re buildable? The first time I fired mine up I had a similar situation, rebuilt the cylinder and it's been great since.
Yes I am pretty sure it would be rebuild but I was so frustrated with the splitter that I just wanted it working now!!
Truth be known the pump was probally fine, the control valve was bad and the cylinder was deffinitely bad, I am pretty sure it will rebuild, everything about it looks fine, the only thing visually wrong is right at the end of the shaft it has a few blemishes that looks like hammer marks but I think they are far enough to the end that it would not affect the performance, it did not leak at all. I thought about seeing if I could sell the pump and either sell the cylinder cheap as rebuildable or rebuild it and sell it.

i had an old 6"x48" cyl that was leaking so bad internally that when id pressure it up good and hard it would grenade the filter and promptly dump 15 gallons of hydro fluid all over everything within 150 feet. but i run my splitter on a 21 gpm pump on a 70hp tractor too so no motor bogging

Back