Log splitter opinions please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjnspecial

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have 2 choices: Split fire 3255 or Iron and Oak Fast cycle w/ 11hp Briggs. Both are used and almost the same price, neither has a log lift. Which one would you go with?

Get you some logs and try both of them out...for a few rounds. That will be the best way to determine which one you like the most.

Pay attention to how much noise, how much power (ignore the ratings as they're hardly ever accurate), speed, and how user friendly each is for YOU.

Both are reputable units.

Waylan

Get you some logs and try both of them out...for a few rounds. That will be the best way to determine which one you like the most.

Pay attention to how much noise, how much power (ignore the ratings as they're hardly ever accurate), speed, and how user friendly each is for YOU.

Both are reputable units.

Waylan

They aren't where I can test them out readily. How do you like your split fire? Pros/Cons?

They aren't where I can test them out readily. How do you like your split fire? Pros/Cons?

I love my split-fire, although I have modified it from the way it left the factory.

For one, if you go horizontal and have larger than 16" dia. logs, definitely get the log lift. I have the log lift and would not want a horizontal splitter without one.

When I ordered my split-fire I got it with suspension.......this was a mistake as the suspension reduces the capability of the log lift. On a large round, say 24" dia. by 16" long, the suspension would squat on the side of the log lift and cause the opposite side of the splitter to lift off the ground. I fixed that by unbolting the suspension (torsion axles), and put a solid axle across the unit.........longer mainly towards the log lift, for a new track width of 48". My other modification was to do an offset tongue so that the tongue is now in the center of the track width so when I am pulling it, it is centered behind the tow vehicle (atv).

Other than that, it is a great splitter. The log lift works great as a work table. After you split a large round in 2, you can push half off onto the log lift while you reduce the other piece into firewood size. With 2 men working it, you can really go through some wood.

It does occasionally stall on large pieces with knots or crotches........for these pieces I just take a smaller bite towards one side and work the round down.......when small enough the splitter will slice through what won't split. The 3265 I got came with a 3.5" cylinder........if I were to do it again I would probably opt for the unit with the 4.5" cylinder and larger pump/engine just so the large crotches and stuff could be split any old way I wanted, but that doesn't mean I'm not happy with mine.

I also really liked the supersplit........just wish it had a log lift.

Sorry it took me so long to respond.........we have a new firewall at work and now I can't access my gmail so I don't get notifications of replies timely.

Waylan

Back