Log splitter problem - need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greyhound101

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the site here. Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Today, while splitting wood with my 26 ton MTD splitter, I noticed the valve would kick out on the return stroke before the completion of the stroke. This was odd as it has never done this before. A few minutes after I noticed this happening, the splitter would load up after initial contact with the wood as it normally does and stall the engine but now it will cause it to die. Typically, when the wedge would contact the wood, it would pause for a second or three and then continue pushing through the wood. Of course, the engine would stall a second but it would not die as it does now. The only way I can push through a piece of wood is for me to baby or ease the control as the wedge contacts the wood and begins stalling the engine. The splitter is 7-8 years old but has little use. I bought it used from the original owner who rarely used it. I'm wondering if the control valve has issues and needs replaced or adjusted?

Have you checked your filter, screen and fluid condition and level? Seems odd that a valve would suddenly be out of whack, not impossible, but certainly not the first thing I'd dive into.

Owl

Latest posts

Back