Log splitter problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, so here I'am using my log splitter making kindling with my custom wedge. All of the sudden, the splitter dies on me. Now, it does not matter if I'm into a piece or backing out, it starts to somewhat bog down and then just dies. I hit the primer bulb and pull the chord and it fires up and runs fine for a while and then it does it again.

This has been going on all day like this. I'm finally getting irritated by this. There is something also that has been making me scratch my head. Fuel will saturate the air filter, and when the engine is not running the fuel drips out of the primer bulb. It will not stop unless the splitter is out of fuel or unless it is running.

Anyone have any ideas what the heck is going on? I was thinking that my float is screwed up. But I have not touched anything!

Sounds like you need a new primer. After I replaced that I would see if you still have the problem. Where gas can get out air can get in. If it is a tiny leak it may only let air in when it is pulling hard. Fix the obvious and see what happens. Could be a gas line leaking at the bulb.

Sounds like you need a new primer. After I replaced that I would see if you still have the problem. Where gas can get out air can get in. If it is a tiny leak it may only let air in when it is pulling hard. Fix the obvious and see what happens. Could be a gas line leaking at the bulb.

Yeah, address the fuel problem first. Check back if the problem persists.

I don't think a leaky primer bulb would cause the fuel to run out the carb into the air filter, would it? I also must add to the fact that the fuel running into the air filter made its presence even last year before the primer bulb ever started leaking.

Is is saturating the filter or is it just a film?

I aint saying it is your only problem but if you dont fix each problem you have it is going to be really dificult to get it running like new. A pinhole leak sucking air will cause running problems dimilar to the orignal post.

It's loading up w/ fuel for some reason. Anything that sits as much as the average splitter (or my Troy bilt tiller for example), is going to have carb problems. At least that's my experience

If there is a leak that should be fixed as said.It could just be the needle and seat aren't sealing causing the fuel to leak out the carb and it appears as though the bulb is leaking.In that case the carb would need a cleaning or rebuild or replacement.As far as dying it can be carb related or the fuel cap can be defective not allowing air into the tank causing a vacuum on the system.

i would pull the carb and rebuild! think there is a jet is stuck. and hence leaking fuel to the intake and back out on to the filter. I am lucky and get to use my splitter all year but the dang tiller gets a carb rebuild every spring!! lol

That sounds like 2 separate problems.
  • clogged fuel filter causing it to stall and die
  • gummed, varnished, dirty needle/seat or bad float casing fuel to contaminate the air filter.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Back