Log splitter project brave 26ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newoldschool

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well I have been looking at building a splitter. Gathering steel and other parts. My dad knew of my project and was messing around on Craig'slist and found an ad that read "26 ton log splitter, 8hp needs motor work won't start $250"

I was at work so he checked it out. When he got there it turned out to be a Brave 26ton with an 8hp Tecumseh motor. A deal was made. Dad and I figured it just needed fuel lines and a carb kit......but when they were loading it, the splitter flopped onto its side breaking the intake off.

So I ordered a new intake gasket, intake, new carb, carb gasket and vent hose for $43 off eBay. The plan is to get it going and then make it a bit eayser for me to operate sence I am 6'4.

Pictures to come soon, thanks for reading along

And here are the photos
473a674334e7eefb905d60f944c1b32f.jpg
1f4187586b20bb9990754801fd4096cf.jpg
999ee567a45bd07a10394b306bafc4f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did exactly the same thing with a troybilt tiller (breaking the intake while loading). I ended up putting a Chonda engine on it since the new engine was similar to the price of the parts.

That seems like a really good deal on that splitter.

Hey streblerm,

When I was gathering parts for my splitter build, I picked up a preditor 6.5hp from harbor freight on Black Friday that was on sale for $100 out the door. I figure if I can't get the existing motor going I'll take the 6.5 back and get the 8hp model($240). Which motor did you put on your tiller?

Hey streblerm,

When I was gathering parts for my splitter build, I picked up a preditor 6.5hp from harbor freight on Black Friday that was on sale for $100 out the door. I figure if I can't get the existing motor going I'll take the 6.5 back and get the 8hp model($240). Which motor did you put on your tiller?

6.5hp on the troybilt. It bolted right up but iirc I had to find some metric bolts. It was the previous generation greyhound engine.

Be careful when retracting, without a log stripper the log wI'll rip off the hhydraulic valve and spray oil right in your face. Don't ask how I know!

Be careful when retracting, without a log stripper the log wI'll rip off the hhydraulic valve and spray oil right in your face. Don't ask how I know!

Thank you for the heads up valleyfirewood. I might need to look into fabricating one while I'm making the log table. Half my parts have arrived, just waiting on the intake now. I can't wait to get started on this thing

Well all my parts that I had ordered came in last week. After installing everything I was able to start trouble shooting as to why it was not running in the first place.

Turns out all that was wrong with the splitter was the ignition coil had gone bad(the reason the guy sold the splitter) so $15.75 later the splitter is up and running.

So I had to test it out:) here are some shots of the splitter and my fire wood tractor. Now I gotta cut more wood and the customization can begin

1b4ef04c3afc343ed95e60d9d088c57d.jpg
bfcc9d76a39df1f74462210f858c5542.jpg
d405d11df6113486d033471d248c40bf.jpg

After running it for a bit I want to ad a log table and some larger tires to help on and off road. There also seems to be a lot of play in the wedge carrier that might need some attention and a new hydro filter and fluid

I have that exact splitter love it.Original motor and if remember it's a 90' model. I did a little modifying . With that short hitch I cannot pull behind atv. My coupler was welded on as I see yours bolted.I cut it off. I then got the square tubing that fit 2" coupler and bolted where the kick stand leg bolted at tank.This way I can leave hooked to atv and split hor. Or vertical. Without un hooking.

Latest posts

Back