Log splitter Pumps and engines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phill3030

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys I have several 25 HP kohler command enines and 1 28 GPM 2 stage pump and 3 26 GPM single stage vickers V20 vane pumps was thinking of mounthing them up and selling them for log splitter builds think any one would be interested? I will try to post some pictures in the next few days. Also looking for what you thing would be fair price on set up like this thanks for you input guys

Phill:givebeer:

I would be interested in an engine. Only bad part is that I'm laid off right now so money is tight. Let me know what you want for one. Pics would be nice. Careful selling stuff in a forum other than the trading post, I got busted a couple months ago.

yes all horizontal shaft engines 1 7/16 shaft size kohler command pro ch730 0040 engines I have got tons of great info off this site and was going to check to see if there was any interest. here before i start them on ebay have one for sale now if you search for item # 200373875336 you will find pictures.

I don't think 25hp will be enough to do a reasonable job with a 26gpm single stage. I think you'll kill the engine pretty quickly in a tough spot. My splitter has a big single stage pump, PTO driven off a tractor. I often killed the engine of a WC Allis Chalmers I had (about 20HP, but a lot more torque than the small engines have) Currently running it most of the time with a 40HP M Farmall, and a good knot will open the governor, but not kill it or even bog it much, but that's a 260 CID engine.

They'd be a great match with the 2 stage if ya can just find a couple more of em.

I am running a kohler 19hp twin, with a 5" cylinder off a trash truck,and a single stage pump off a dump truck. I don't have too many issues with power. Once in a while a 3 sided oak snag (18"-24") will bog us down. I back it off a few times and it works. This set up you have should work fine.

With a 5" cylinder, you're generating more splitting tonnage at a lower pressure than if you had say a 4" cylinder, so you can split more without having to run the pressure up so high.

25hp will run a 26gpm single stage pump to about 1400psi before running out of juice. Running it up to 2500psi would require 43hp.

HP = GPM x PSI /1500

This formula takes into account some pump and valve inefficiencies. I believe the in a perfect situation with 100% efficiency, that last number is 1750ish.

Ian

Hi guys I have several 25 HP kohler command enines and 1 28 GPM 2 stage pump and 3 26 GPM single stage vickers V20 vane pumps was thinking of mounthing them up and selling them for log splitter builds think any one would be interested? I will try to post some pictures in the next few days. Also looking for what you thing would be fair price on set up like this thanks for you input guys

Phill:givebeer:

I would maybe be interested in the 2 stage pump if the price were right. How used is it? Do you have a price in mind? I can fabricate about any mount needed ..

metalmagpie

Latest posts

Back