log splitter question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey guys.. i built a rather good log splitter but am new to hydralics. the splitter works great. my question is. there has been a few times that i have had a log that stoped the wedge... is the ram suposed to stop and the engine keep running or is the engine suposed to bog way down and quit when it gets over loaded? thats really all i have.. thanks

If you get a log that stops the wedge the bypass valve will dump the pressure back to the tank. the motor will bog down some, but won't come to a stop. same as if you extended the cyl all the way out, it would come to a stop and load up the motor but not kill it.

i kinda thought that was the deal but a guy has to ask to know whats right. now if i only could post a few pics of the splitter.

It sounds like you have your relief in the valve and that was by chance. Otherwise you would have blown a hose or stopped the engine abruptly. I have run splitters with no relief and here again by sheer luck the engine was not powerful enough to blow a hose. It just stopped instantaneously if the load was too much.

Back