Log splitter questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have spilt wood for 40 years by hand. Axe or maul maul for "small stuff", brought out the wedges for the knarly, and the 20 lb sledge/wedges for the nasty.

Anyway, bad hand injury this winter, not sure how hand splitting will go but it might be good "therapy".

On to splitters questions. Considered a 3 PTH mount for my tractor, ( 74 Ford 2000) was told tractor pump output ( 4.4 gpm) would make things S L O W and tractor would suck up 4X the gas. Could also find a PTO driven unit but still have the gas issue.

So on to other options. I think I'd only use it for the knarly/nasty, and my stove will take 26", but rounds are usually 20-22" length. I'm thinking something that can be run vertical for the big 3' dia rounds.

So suggestions? Good used? Buy new (recommendations)? Your experiences?

I'll be doing a small amount to heat my home (6 cords) but have a unlimited supply of excess mixed hardwoods

Thanks in advance, I'm usually on the chainsaw forum

MTD Yard Machines from Home Depot, if they are still carrying them, are good for the home owner. One will run you a little over a grand.

I have spilt wood for 40 years by hand. Axe or maul maul for "small stuff", brought out the wedges for the knarly, and the 20 lb sledge/wedges for the nasty.

Anyway, bad hand injury this winter, not sure how hand splitting will go but it might be good "therapy".

On to splitters questions. Considered a 3 PTH mount for my tractor, ( 74 Ford 2000) was told tractor pump output ( 4.4 gpm) would make things S L O W and tractor would suck up 4X the gas. Could also find a PTO driven unit but still have the gas issue.

So on to other options. I think I'd only use it for the knarly/nasty, and my stove will take 26", but rounds are usually 20-22" length. I'm thinking something that can be run vertical for the big 3' dia rounds.

So suggestions? Good used? Buy new (recommendations)? Your experiences?

I'll be doing a small amount to heat my home (6 cords) but have a unlimited supply of excess mixed hardwoods

Thanks in advance, I'm usually on the chainsaw forum

As was stated , look at lowes ,or Home depot for a Mtd machine , Or You can check out TSC for a speeco unit . None of them are the Cadillac's of the splitter world . But, You'll thank Yourself every time You use one of them . Also there certain times of the Year that You can pick a splitter up on sale .

Hi black, was wanting to know your reason behind this. Thanks/QUOTE]

Didn't mean to step on your toes Booms, but from the looks of them and other products they make they don't look very sturdy. I could be wrong and your experience with them might be good but I would look for a used commercial splitter with a honda GX on it. I picked up a used Timber Wolf TW 2 with a four way wedge for 1,600. Sure it had some issues but I think it would blow the doors off of most if not all of the new big box store units. Again sorry if I slammed something your happy with.

Mine's a well-used MTD, vintage unknown. It was a freebee from a friend who owed me a favor. Rumor has it that it was used in a commercial firewood operation before he got it. The original 8 HP BS was toast. I ran it off of the aux hydro of a Case 1840 the first year. Big time fuel sucker that way... Re-powered it w/ a Honda GX 240 (8 HP) last year. I customized it w/ some tables & a slip on 4-way. It does EVERYTHING I need it to, but more upgrades are planned. Maybe the "build it bigger" splitter thing is a side effect of CAD???

Hi black, was wanting to know your reason behind this. Thanks/QUOTE]

Didn't mean to step on your toes Booms, but from the looks of them and other products they make they don't look very sturdy. I could be wrong and your experience with them might be good but I would look for a used commercial splitter with a honda GX on it. I picked up a used Timber Wolf TW 2 with a four way wedge for 1,600. Sure it had some issues but I think it would blow the doors off of most if not all of the new big box store units. Again sorry if I slammed something your happy with.

No toes steped on here. I have some friends that use em and the only complaint from both of them is the operator valve leaks a little. Was just wondering if you had actually used one and based your opinion on first hand experiance. 1,600 used, wow...how much are those new?

Last edited:
I just stopped by a TW dealer yesterday and notice the retail price for a TW 2 was about $ 3,300 and thats without the four way that goes for $400.

Check out the Speeco/Husky splitters.

I just recently picked up their 22 ton and love the thing. I have split a #### load of elm and have not had a piece it could not split yet.

I have not split crotchy oak yet (I don't have much oak on my property). I have a large hickory that i will be taking down soon, but I'm not worried about the splitter.

The 22 ton can be had for $1000. They also have a 27 ton and 35 ton model.

Something with the name MTD scares me... I've had bad luck with other equipment with their name on it.

Every one around here uses the units bought at the farm store/big box stores. I don't know of any real problems had by any of the 1/2 dozen guys I know using them. All residential use, no commercial works.
The tongue/hitch seems built a little "light" on 'em.
I've got one built by a private shop way back in the early 80's and have only used these "Husky/Speedco" ect.. while helping these other guys.

Speeco vs. MTD

Have used both, own neither, if I bought one, I would go with Speeco. Just because of the reviews on this site. Speeco hydraulic splitters have a pretty good reputation on here. And my TSC has them for sale right now for $999.

Iron & Oak makes a good quality splitter. The fast cycle model is commercial, horizontal/vertical, and has speed and power. Not too big, not too small.
Iron & Oak Commercial Log Splitters - PRODUCTS
$2500 delivered from this place: Iron & Oak BHVH2209FC/CAMO - EZ Split™ 22-Ton Fast Cycle Camoflage Horizontal / Vertical Gas Log Splitter
$2600 from bailey's: Bailey's - Iron and Oak 20-Ton Fast Cycle Commercial-Grade Woodsplitter - 11HP

Or, get a mechanical splitter and go with one of these:
Log Splitter, Wood Splitter - Super Split(R)
DR® Power Equipment - DR RapidFire Log Splitter

ive had the 22ton huskee/ speeco splitter for about a month now. very nice splitter splits everything i put on it. i paid $999 at tsc.also if you put it on their card its 12 months no interest.

Last edited:
All of the box store splitters are going to be about the same. I’ve worked both Husky and MTD and both did what they were supposed to do. I liked both because they were both keeping me from swinging an ax. Most home owners that split wood for their selves aren’t going to spend 3,000-4,000 on rig to split 5 or 6 cords a year for their pit or fireplace. I did check out the TW website...their processers are sweet...makes me want to sell firewood for a living. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have had both the MTD/Troybilt/Yardman/whatevernameyouwanttostickonthem, and the Speeco. Hands down, the speeco is a far sturdier machine.

I went big when I bought my Speeco and bought the 35 ton model, but the quality of build is the same no matter what unit you buy. The 22 ton model at TSC is a bargain for what you are getting, and I know plenty of guys that use theirs in a commercial type of operation, and they are more than satisfied with it. the MTD model that seems to be plaguing the big box stores may have more "advertised" tonnage, but with the $1700 price tag that goes along with it I would shy away from it and stick to the 22 ton Speeco. After all, even if its bigger it aint going to get more work done if its sitting in pieces in your garage waiting for MTD to tell you to pound sand on the warranty. And the sad fact is, no matter what happens to that splitter or when it happens, they will tell you to pound sand.Been there, done that.

If you want to read some threads on the fallacy of the MTD type splitters, here you go. Bear in mind that its a rare occasion when this type of failure happens, but when it does the machine is toast. There is little economical repairs for this kind of failure, hence the reason whey I sold it off and got the speeco.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/174531.htm?highlight=Troy+bilt
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/174880.htm?highlight=Troy+bilt
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/175209.htm?highlight=Troy+bilt
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/173407.htm

The biggest problem, and what is discussed in the threads above, is the weak trunnion type mount. While in most cases it will hold up fine, if you get one that was improperly welded in the factory, or split a lot of twisted and knarly wood that has a tendency to make the wedge wallow and wobble around and therefore putting stress on one trunnion over the other, the trunnion itself shears right off the cylinder. And when it goes under a high stress push, expect it to go not only with a bang, but a faceful of hydralic fluid as well. I figure it took me three days to get my eyebrows back down out from under my hat when mine went.

attachment.php

The red arrow shows the weak point. when it shears off, it looks like the picture below. This is an actual picture of mine after I managed to crawl to the house, down three pitchers of beer, and got my knees to stop stomping out the theme song from "Hi Ho Silver"
185600d1306702313-splitter-jpg

View attachment 239172

There are several other design flaws I am going to go ahead and point out. The log cradle is a joke. I have never seen a MTD splitter with any use on it what so ever where the original log cradle doesnt resemble a taco. The problem is, the horizontal pieces that hold up the log cradle are virtually at the same level as the flat beam, and when a chunk splits it spreads out, catches the log cradle, and bends the snot out of it. I got tired of always having to smack it back into shape with a sledge hammer, but luckily the four weak bolts that hold it on to the beam gave way before I got disgusted and broke off, and the log cradle went into the scrap heap.
The wedge that travels along the beam is held in place by a series of wedges under the arms that hold the wedge to the beam, and they have to be adjusted for wear frequently. forget to to adjust them, and the wedges fall out and you get to either make some new ones out of cold rolled steel, or buy new ones from MTD at the cost of $26 plus freight for a set of four. The bolts that allow for adjustment are very prone to catch on rounds when the wedge is splitting through and break off, and its lots of fun trying to drill them out and install new ones. If you have a limited swear vocabulary, plan on learning some new ones if you call me up and ask me how get them out. I even invented some new words when three broke off in one day, and spent an hour drilling them out, just to repeat the process again the next weekend. When a friend called me to ask about fixing his, he hung up on me by the second time I stopped to catch my breath.

These machines are fine for the occasional user, a user that does not often encounter knarled pieces of wood, or someone who just likes the paint colors. But if you are looking for a splitter that will be around for the next 50 years, keep looking.MTD is not the answer.

In response to a PM I received today, here are pics of the table & "rack" I added to my splitter. The table is a scrap piece of 3/8 plate I had. It fit perfectly right out of the scrap bin, just ground off the slag & MIGGED it on. Took longer to paint than it did to fab & weld. I used to lay pieces that needed one more split on the axle ( oil tank). They usually vibrated off before I got to them. A table on that side was out of the question, couldn't have reached the valve. I came up w/ the rack as the best solution. It'll hold a 12" or so round or a few smaller sticks that need 1 more split. Have to be conservative w/ how it's loaded ( not the weight, but the volume). Stack them too high & they interfere w/ the valve lever. All in all, a real time saver & less bending over.

In response to a PM I received today, here are pics of the table & "rack" I added to my splitter. The table is a scrap piece of 3/8 plate I had. It fit perfectly right out of the scrap bin, just ground off the slag & MIGGED it on. Took longer to paint than it did to fab & weld. I used to lay pieces that needed one more split on the axle ( oil tank). They usually vibrated off before I got to them. A table on that side was out of the question, couldn't have reached the valve. I came up w/ the rack as the best solution. It'll hold a 12" or so round or a few smaller sticks that need 1 more split. Have to be conservative w/ how it's loaded ( not the weight, but the volume). Stack them too high & they interfere w/ the valve lever. All in all, a real time saver & less bending over.

That looks great and you cant beat the price!!!

I have had both the MTD/Troybilt/Yardman/whatevernameyouwanttostickonthem, and the Speeco. Hands down, the speeco is a far sturdier machine.

I went big when I bought my Speeco and bought the 35 ton model, but the quality of build is the same no matter what unit you buy. The 22 ton model at TSC is a bargain for what you are getting, and I know plenty of guys that use theirs in a commercial type of operation, and they are more than satisfied with it. the MTD model that seems to be plaguing the big box stores may have more "advertised" tonnage, but with the $1700 price tag that goes along with it I would shy away from it and stick to the 22 ton Speeco. After all, even if its bigger it aint going to get more work done if its sitting in pieces in your garage waiting for MTD to tell you to pound sand on the warranty. And the sad fact is, no matter what happens to that splitter or when it happens, they will tell you to pound sand.Been there, done that.

If you want to read some threads on the fallacy of the MTD type splitters, here you go. Bear in mind that its a rare occasion when this type of failure happens, but when it does the machine is toast. There is little economical repairs for this kind of failure, hence the reason whey I sold it off and got the speeco.

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/174531.htm?highlight=Troy+bilt
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/174880.htm?highlight=Troy+bilt
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/175209.htm?highlight=Troy+bilt
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/173407.htm

The biggest problem, and what is discussed in the threads above, is the weak trunnion type mount. While in most cases it will hold up fine, if you get one that was improperly welded in the factory, or split a lot of twisted and knarly wood that has a tendency to make the wedge wallow and wobble around and therefore putting stress on one trunnion over the other, the trunnion itself shears right off the cylinder. And when it goes under a high stress push, expect it to go not only with a bang, but a faceful of hydralic fluid as well. I figure it took me three days to get my eyebrows back down out from under my hat when mine went.

attachment.php

The red arrow shows the weak point. when it shears off, it looks like the picture below. This is an actual picture of mine after I managed to crawl to the house, down three pitchers of beer, and got my knees to stop stomping out the theme song from "Hi Ho Silver"
185600d1306702313-splitter-jpg

View attachment 239172

There are several other design flaws I am going to go ahead and point out. The log cradle is a joke. I have never seen a MTD splitter with any use on it what so ever where the original log cradle doesnt resemble a taco. The problem is, the horizontal pieces that hold up the log cradle are virtually at the same level as the flat beam, and when a chunk splits it spreads out, catches the log cradle, and bends the snot out of it. I got tired of always having to smack it back into shape with a sledge hammer, but luckily the four weak bolts that hold it on to the beam gave way before I got disgusted and broke off, and the log cradle went into the scrap heap.
The wedge that travels along the beam is held in place by a series of wedges under the arms that hold the wedge to the beam, and they have to be adjusted for wear frequently. forget to to adjust them, and the wedges fall out and you get to either make some new ones out of cold rolled steel, or buy new ones from MTD at the cost of $26 plus freight for a set of four. The bolts that allow for adjustment are very prone to catch on rounds when the wedge is splitting through and break off, and its lots of fun trying to drill them out and install new ones. If you have a limited swear vocabulary, plan on learning some new ones if you call me up and ask me how get them out. I even invented some new words when three broke off in one day, and spent an hour drilling them out, just to repeat the process again the next weekend. When a friend called me to ask about fixing his, he hung up on me by the second time I stopped to catch my breath.

These machines are fine for the occasional user, a user that does not often encounter knarled pieces of wood, or someone who just likes the paint colors. But if you are looking for a splitter that will be around for the next 50 years, keep looking.MTD is not the answer.

Thanks for posting this here. I have never ruined one of my friends splitters like you did yours. I will never borrow again!

Last edited:
Check out the Speeco/Husky splitters.

I just recently picked up their 22 ton and love the thing. I have split a #### load of elm and have not had a piece it could not split yet.

I have not split crotchy oak yet (I don't have much oak on my property). I have a large hickory that i will be taking down soon, but I'm not worried about the splitter.

The 22 ton can be had for $1000. They also have a 27 ton and 35 ton model.

Something with the name MTD scares me... I've had bad luck with other equipment with their name on it.

The problem with avoiding MTD is sthat they build everything these days. Almost all the yard equipment in the big box stores are MTD under the hood.

Harry K

Back