log splitter questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa.hunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
building one, where is best place to put screw on filter, after valve ? can it go on suction side of pump or will ot destroy it , and does it matter where tank lines go in, i know suction on bottom or low on side and is it ok to put return on top or will this mix up fluid to much and make too much air in fluid , i made 10 gallon square tank , thanks for help

I think its best to put filter on return to tank. A lot of people put a strainer on the line from tank to pump. Line to pump should be low on the tank, maybe not directly off of bottom. When return line goes back to tank, it should be below level of fluid. So as not to aerate fluid. Did you put a divider in tank? To let oil travel around to let it cool more. If not make sure inlet and return are seperated by a good amount. Filter on suction side might make pump cavitate if it starts to get plugged. Everybody has an opinion. Maybe some others will chime in. Hope this helps!

thanks

I think its best to put filter on return to tank. A lot of people put a strainer on the line from tank to pump. Line to pump should be low on the tank, maybe not directly off of bottom. When return line goes back to tank, it should be below level of fluid. So as not to aerate fluid. Did you put a divider in tank? To let oil travel around to let it cool more. If not make sure inlet and return are seperated by a good amount. Filter on suction side might make pump cavitate if it starts to get plugged. Everybody has an opinion. Maybe some others will chime in. Hope this helps!
any more opinions out their

return line only!!!!!!

putting it on the suction side is begging for trouble and is most often NOT recommended.

it doesn't matter where it's located on the return line.

Filter Location

The filter on my Huskee 22ton was on the suction side. Several hundred hours and never had a problem. During my modifications, I removed the suction-side filter and added a filter to the return line side. No noticeable difference. However, there is a difference between filters made for suction vs. return (suction filters have a weaker spring on the bypass to prevent cavitation when the element starts to clog). You need to decide where you're putting your filter before you order/build.

Latest posts

Back