log splitter repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
log splitter repair (pump)

yea , the engine is 11 hp
i will look around for some prices on pumps:)

well for now i will try the easiest , and change the fluid, it`s been awhile
we`ll see what affect that will have on it first and go from there :yoyo:

well the splitter was cycling faster before,,,now it seems slower , i changed the fluid between rain showers , the cycle time is still slow. it`s gotta be the pump:bang:
i guess i`ll keep my eyes open for a 16 or larger pump:hmm3grin2orange:

Tocold,
It sounds like you may be having trouble drawing oil into the pump when its cold. You might try lighter oil, and if your filter is on the intake line (between the tank & the pump), move it to the return side, (between the valve & the tank). Strainers are OK on the suction side, but filters really should be on the return, and you can use a finer element (10 micron) there.
Usually a starving pump makes a whining noise. Also the suction line should be at least 1" (inside).
But if the pump is that old, it probably is worn out. I never had any luck getting parts for Barnes logsplitter pumps.
By the way, our 16 GPM 2-stage pumps are $136.

Don the Hydraulics Guy

cylinderservice, i tried the lighter oil,change,oil,filter, it`s still the same. i think that the pump is getting weak. my filter is on the return side.
i looked at your web site but i didn`t see any 2 stage pumps there , you say you have a 16 gpm, do you have a 22 gpm if so what`s the price on that ? do you also carry the half couplings incase i would need one size smaller or larger than the other??
let me know,, i have a 1/2 cord to split by hand :cry: before it gets 2 dark.

Tocold,
Sorry, the 2-stage pumps aren't on our web site yet. But nothing larger than 16 GPM for now.
And I've been trying to stay away from shaft couplings, but that may change too. Not yet though.

Don

ok i have been looking around for pumps, i could get one off ebay , or get one from northern, or from cylinder service. which size should i get , i have a 11 hp craftsman motor powering this unit. i`m thinking either a 16 gpm or a 22 gpm pump. i have so big chunks to split (2 people put on the splitter size)
the fluid tank is probally 3.5 gal
and the ram i believe it was a 4" bore x 24 stroke
HELP OUT THERE :biggrinbounce2: :deadhorse:
THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Two 'rules of thumb':

For every 1 GPM of pump capacity you need -
  • At least 1/2 horsepower to drive. (16 GPM pump = 8 HP motor)
  • 1 gallon of resevoir capacity (16 GPM pump = 16 gallon tank)

For your application, I would go with the 16 GPM pump, and build/buy a bigger tank. Empty beer kegs work great for resevoir tanks, and can be found relatively cheap. I obtain mine from the local college kids for the cost of their deposit ($10) - I get a cheap tank, and they don't have to haul their empties back to the beer distributor. A standard keg holds 15.5 gallons.

Tocold,
Sorry, the 2-stage pumps aren't on our web site yet. But nothing larger than 16 GPM for now.
And I've been trying to stay away from shaft couplings, but that may change too. Not yet though.

Don

why stay away from shaft couplings? the only other place i know of in rochester is graingers.

and, c'mon...let's get them two stage pumps on the web site!!

Last edited:
ok i have been looking around for pumps, i could get one off ebay , or get one from northern, or from cylinder service. which size should i get , i have a 11 hp craftsman motor powering this unit. i`m thinking either a 16 gpm or a 22 gpm pump. i have so big chunks to split (2 people put on the splitter size)
the fluid tank is probally 3.5 gal
and the ram i believe it was a 4" bore x 24 stroke
HELP OUT THERE :biggrinbounce2: :deadhorse:
THANKS FOR ANY HELP

i used an 11 hp briggs with my dual stage pump....it worked perfectly and split everything without any problems. i only went to an 18 hp because i had one laying around doing nothing.

well the splitter was cycling faster before,,,now it seems slower , i changed the fluid between rain showers , the cycle time is still slow. it`s gotta be the pump:bang:
i guess i`ll keep my eyes open for a 16 or larger pump:hmm3grin2orange:

Pumps last a long time. Control valves clog up a lot more than pumps wear out. Test the output of your pump with a 3000 psi pressure gauge and you will probably find that the pump is good. Take the control valve apart and clean it and replace any worn seals/parts.

ok i have 1 bolt that just won`t come loose, i`ve tried everything,,,i guess it`s time to get the liquid wrench out :hmm3grin2orange:

MGA,
OK. I sent in the page on 2-stage pumps today. It should be on our site within a few days. Thanks for the push!

Don

ok!!!

now, if only you'd have a quick link to your web site in your signature so one can readily access your site from here would be the cat's ass.

John S. Barnes Corp pump

The barnes pump # 1300159 is a 11 gpm pump.

How many gpm?.... is the Barnes pump 11295 1300159 Is it a single or dual stage pump? Thanks. I'm running the pump about 1800 rpm with 8hp Wisconsin HDI Model WE270 Engine.

How many gpm?.... is the Barnes pump 11295 1300159 Is it a single or dual stage pump? Thanks. I'm running the pump about 1800 rpm with 8hp Wisconsin HDI Model WE270 Engine.

This pump is a 2-stage pump. At 1800 rpms it will put out 1/2 of it's rated capacity or 5.5 gpm at high flow /low pressure. The 8 hp. engine will handle up to a 16 gpm 2-stage pump.

Latest posts

Back