Log Splitter tonnage rating - are they on crack, or just lying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But seriously, can anyone explain how that auction i linked to could ever get 45t from that splitter? Not even downhill with a tail wind could it get there. I doubt they are using super high PSI pumps in those things, and the cylinder isn't anything close to the diameter needed.

But seriously, can anyone explain how that auction i linked to could ever get 45t from that splitter? Not even downhill with a tail wind could it get there. I doubt they are using super high PSI pumps in those things, and the cylinder isn't anything close to the diameter needed.

Looks like a turd to me. It says 45T all over the place. At first I thought it was a marketing gimmick, but it spelled out 45 tons in the description.

If they want to market it as a 45 ton, they should be held to it.

Looks like a turd to me. It says 45T all over the place. At first I thought it was a marketing gimmick, but it spelled out 45 tons in the description.

If they want to market it as a 45 ton, they should be held to it.

Yeah... I was looking for the same thing. T does not mean Ton, it only implies it. But they definitely said 45 Tons. But that whole ad speaks of poorly translated Chinese marketing and I wouldn't believe any of it anyway.

One thing that may happen (I doubt it in this case) is the rating may be similar to generator and motor ratings. In order to get a higher number they'll quote a peak number... something the unit's capable of producing but can't sustain consistently. In the case of hydraulics there's often a pressure spike right as a relief valve opens. I've heard it called "cracking pressure." If the system spikes to 4500 psi immediately before the valve opens (that would be a very poor relief valve, btw) and maintains 2500 psi system pressure, then technically it does create a bunch of force for the briefest time. It's chitty marketing because the machine can't possibly maintain that pressure, but it's not technically wrong.

Good engineering stuff here.
BUTT-- splitting efficiency also is dependent on structure of the butt species( crotch, grain structure, 'knots', etc...).
Some of the so-called "rapid splitters" use speed , not PSI for the job. And then there's the power variety: gas, electric.
Way over my rating.

Hey kidsssss. Take a five, ten, twenty dollar bill out of your momma's purse.

Get on the number 9 bus and go downtown to meet a man named Martinez, his s$&t the bomb. It will get you so HIIIIIIIIIIGH!!!!!!

O yea he has a log splitter for sale to. Best one ever!

Yeah... I was looking for the same thing. T does not mean Ton, it only implies it. But they definitely said 45 Tons. But that whole ad speaks of poorly translated Chinese marketing and I wouldn't believe any of it anyway.

One thing that may happen (I doubt it in this case) is the rating may be similar to generator and motor ratings. In order to get a higher number they'll quote a peak number... something the unit's capable of producing but can't sustain consistently. In the case of hydraulics there's often a pressure spike right as a relief valve opens. I've heard it called "cracking pressure." If the system spikes to 4500 psi immediately before the valve opens (that would be a very poor relief valve, btw) and maintains 2500 psi system pressure, then technically it does create a bunch of force for the briefest time. It's chitty marketing because the machine can't possibly maintain that pressure, but it's not technically wrong.

Figures don't Lie, but Liars Figure!

That is why they don't rate small engines in hp anymore, just displacement. The marketing people know that most people don't question the numbers, they just look for the biggest one. The hp numbers they slapped on things were so unrealistic that someone finally sued the manufacturers.

It would seem that the same thing could happen to splitter manufacturers.

Jerry

Figures don't Lie, but Liars Figure!

That is why they don't rate small engines in hp anymore, just displacement. The marketing people know that most people don't question the numbers, they just look for the biggest one. The hp numbers they slapped on things were so unrealistic that someone finally sued the manufacturers.

It would seem that the same thing could happen to splitter manufacturers.

Jerry

What happened was a law firm sued the manufacturers, and as part of the settlement that netted the firm millions of dollars, the manufacturers cannot use hp numbers and must use displacement.

In the end the consumers lost. Chinese engines are still sold by hp and that is part of the reason they are so popular, people know basically the capability of the motor they are getting.

Mr. HE:cool:

Some countries still use 2,240 pounds to the ton as australia did when i went to school. This was spelt as TON. I think 2,000 pounds was spelt TONNE and was called an American Tonne. This would have a large effect on the pressure calculations for the log splitters. Just a thought.

I think what everyone is missing is even if your pump is rated to 3000psi, the pressure in the system is regulated by the control valve (also a relief valve) which is always set 200-250 psi below the max pump pressure to save the system. The relief valve starts opening before the pressure even reaches the 2800psi and as the pressure builds the valve opens more and more. Last year I replaced my swisher "22 ton really less than 17 ton" splitter control valve with a Prince log splitter valve 25gpm and it came set to 2250psi relief valve adjustable to max 2750. Even at that my splitter will split anything you throw at it but only running 8 inch single wedge.

Back