Log Splitter Where to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterBoy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hay guys i am at the point where i am using a friends splitter and want to buy my own but don't know what to buy seems like the mtd got cheep and made the i beams shorter im looking to spend no more the $1500 on one

can some one recommend the best splitter for my money i like the timberwolf but not sure how much they cost yet

i use a 6.5 hp with 25 tons now and am happy with it. it did everything i had this year with no problems

but dose engine horse power have anything to do with it i have seen a 5.5 hp Honda on a 27 ton id love to get a 4 way wedge so i can cut 4 pieces in one shot. what should i get i only will cut and split under 6 cord a year

thanks
Jason

Last edited:
I bought a slightly used splitter on eBay three years ago, after looking for a few months. It's a Yard Machines (MTD) splitter with 6.5 hp and 26 ton. I've split about 150 cords with it and have had almost no problems. If cost were no object, you can't beat a Timberwolf. For me, cost was an issue and I am very pleased wth the performance of the Yard Machines splitter. You can buy them at Lowe's. This one is pretty much what I have... http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=119598-270-24AF572B711&lpage=none

i am using a yard machine 25 ton now with a 6hp b&s engine and works well i would buy one just like it but the new ones like you show cut the i beam in half and the engine is now only a 5hp.

here is a picture of the one i am using it belongs to my friend
if i could find one like this id buy it because i know 6hp with 25 tons dose the job for me

thanks
Jason

Several years ago I bought a Brave 26 ton with a Tecumseh 8 hp. Also an EBay special that was about 75 miles from home. Very good machine at a great price. You can get good used stuff if you're willing to do the research, check it out thoroughly, and be willing to pick it up.

thanks mike yea for the amount of wood i will be doing hp is not a big issue.

what i don't understand is how it can cost so much for me to build one i have a engine i looked at the one i am using now and there's nothing to it a pump for the engine a shaft a lever filter hydraulic fluid container a bit of hose and a few fittings sounds like no more then $500 worth of stuff

i can get a good deal on the steal what do you think?.

btw i went to cape cod last year and it was nice had a good time. do you have a tree business there? or a firewood dealer?

thanks
Jason

RoosterBoy said:
thanks mike yea for the amount of wood i will be doing hp is not a big issue.

what i don't understand is how it can cost so much for me to build one i have a engine i looked at the one i am using now and there's nothing to it a pump for the engine a shaft a lever filter hydraulic fluid container a bit of hose and a few fittings sounds like no more then $500 worth of stuff

i can get a good deal on the steal what do you think?.

btw i went to cape cod last year and it was nice had a good time. do you have a tree business there? or a firewood dealer?

thanks
Jason

jason, i built a splitter for 450$ i had an engine and the tires/ axle. made the hydraulic tank out of an old peterbuilt airtank. junkyard steel.

Yes i do have a tree and landscape business in dennis mainly do trees and i sell firewood for winter time income. ( i love to split to ) posted is a picture of my splitter.

Back