Log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering, since some log splitters are towed behind the truck, would it need a title? I cant find anything on the net saying that one does.

probably depends on the state. I know you wouldnt need a title in texas... u might need tags and lights on it, but i think most splitter trailers are small enough that in texas you wouldnt need that either.

here in NY if it's a dedicated trailer, you don't need plates. ie: compressor, log splitter, etc.

however, i have seen some dedicated trailers with plates...maybe that was for insurance or ID purposes.

i put tail lights on my log splitter because it's on the road alot.

This splitter doesnt have any lights or plates or tabs or any of the likes. I assume myself, since I havent towed one yet, that it wouldnt matter as I would think one would still be able to see the persons tail lights. The only reason I could think that I would need the title is that they can make me pay em some of the green for having 2 tires on their pavement, for "wear and tear" purposes.

Have any idea how I can go about finding out if I need anything to tow it in my state? I'd be primarily in WA and ID.

Here in Missouri they are treated as a farm implement. You don't need anything to pull one down the highway. We have pulled ours a **** load and have never had any problems. Just drive with common sense. On excellent paved roads with no chug hole we'll pull our 50-55 mph, on the rough roads we slow down to 25-30, on dirt we slow down to 20-25, no suspension, therefore they will bounce high as you truck hitting a deep chug hole, discertion advised.

This splitter doesnt have any lights or plates or tabs or any of the likes. I assume myself, since I havent towed one yet, that it wouldnt matter as I would think one would still be able to see the persons tail lights. The only reason I could think that I would need the title is that they can make me pay em some of the green for having 2 tires on their pavement, for "wear and tear" purposes.

Have any idea how I can go about finding out if I need anything to tow it in my state? I'd be primarily in WA and ID.

How about State Patrol or DOT.....

Wa - yes you need plates on it and the only way I know to get a plate is to have a title. How to check to be sure? Just stop by your local lic bureau, cop shop, ask any State Patrol man. On could also research the statutes but that can be very confusing and time consuming.

Harry K

So what happens for someone who builds their own splitter and doesnt have a title?

...so, what would I do then, just take it down there in pickup bed and they look at it and say ok, we issue a homemade title for it and thats it or somethin?

Last edited:
Mine must be stolen! When I got it they didn't have the title. Now what?? Whould I pack a bag for jail??

So what happens for someone who builds their own splitter and doesnt have a title?

You apply your OAN (Owner Applied Number), go to whoever issues title in your state and have the 'vehicle' inspected and title/license issued.

The OAN can be anything you want but the state will probably specify a minimum number of characters/numbers.

Harry K

Mine must be stolen! When I got it they didn't have the title. Now what?? Whould I pack a bag for jail??

Hmmm...Bill of Sale? Of course when you go to the Big Box Store and buy one you won't get a title, just the usual paperwork. They don't come with "titles" as such.

I did ask a WSP officer if I needed a license "yes" but added he wouldn't stop me if I didn't have it. Dunno if that was true for everyone or only because I worked Corrections and he knew me.

Harry K

Like somebody else already said. I'd pull it till I got pulled over. I don't know what the law is in my state of Ohio but I'm guessing it's not required. (due to never seeing one on a splitter, welder, etc.

If it is a law in your state, I'm guessing the only LEO's that would care are the ones that knew ya and didn't like ya.

Hmmm...Bill of Sale? Of course when you go to the Big Box Store and buy one you won't get a title, just the usual paperwork. They don't come with "titles" as such.

I did ask a WSP officer if I needed a license "yes" but added he wouldn't stop me if I didn't have it. Dunno if that was true for everyone or only because I worked Corrections and he knew me.

Harry K

I stopped by the WSP today and asked them about this (and other things), what I was told every trailer in the state needs to have a title and tags. The only exection is pulling a car dolly with out a car, but if you are pulling a car then that car needs a tag. I also asked if I don't have a title and then no tag, what should I do. He said call and make an appointment to have it looked at and "if" you get pulled over let the cop know and he "should" verify that's were you are going.

Since my splitter as no lights I asked him about the lights, he said yes you need lights on all trailers, exect as noted above. He said in most cases they don't care about the lights (the are not checking for any safety issues) if they are working or not. They just want to make sure the trailer or parts are not stolen.

I also asked about homemade trailers without title or tags. When you bring down the trailer and show them the receats of the parts and pices then you can issue a title. If you do not have the paper work they state will register the trailer and then after 3 years they will then title it.

One thing I did pickup on was, its up to the person doing the inspection, if they are having a good day then you could get by on some small things, but if they are having a bad day, make sure to have all your ducks in line. For exaple he told me about a time when someone showed up 10 min late they told him to re book (It takes about 2 to 3 weeks to get an app). From that point on it was something else to watch.

Don't know if this would help code thing ahhh RWC(?) is 46.16.01.0 and Title 46 of the RCW(?)

Let me know if you need more info, as I need to go back down there again and follow up on some "suff"

HTH

I stopped by the WSP today and asked them about this (and other things), what I was told every trailer in the state needs to have a title and tags. The only exection is pulling a car dolly with out a car, but if you are pulling a car then that car needs a tag. I also asked if I don't have a title and then no tag, what should I do. He said call and make an appointment to have it looked at and "if" you get pulled over let the cop know and he "should" verify that's were you are going.

Since my splitter as no lights I asked him about the lights, he said yes you need lights on all trailers, exect as noted above. He said in most cases they don't care about the lights (the are not checking for any safety issues) if they are working or not. They just want to make sure the trailer or parts are not stolen.

I also asked about homemade trailers without title or tags. When you bring down the trailer and show them the receats of the parts and pices then you can issue a title. If you do not have the paper work they state will register the trailer and then after 3 years they will then title it.

One thing I did pickup on was, its up to the person doing the inspection, if they are having a good day then you could get by on some small things, but if they are having a bad day, make sure to have all your ducks in line. For exaple he told me about a time when someone showed up 10 min late they told him to re book (It takes about 2 to 3 weeks to get an app). From that point on it was something else to watch.

Don't know if this would help code thing ahhh RWC(?) is 46.16.01.0 and Title 46 of the RCW(?)

Let me know if you need more info, as I need to go back down there again and follow up on some "suff"

HTH

Gr8 post cowtipper, I have gone thru all of that here in WA.....:agree2:

Thanks for all the great help guys. I made a decision to just keep the splitter in ID. Too much liberal law in WA. That is just rediculous to go through all that just tow the dang thing! I guess if there is ever a time I need to take it to WA, its gonne be in my bed in pieces!

From what 2 people have told me today, they said here in ID I dont need a dang thing to tow it. Just tow it and call it good!

I'm gonna take it with a few grains of salt, so I suppose I'm gonna have to wait till Monday since today was the last chance until then. I called the Boise office and they said I need to call the local office where I'm at to get the specifics on it.

I got it last night finally, at midnight. What a shpiel it was to get it from the guy! Anyhoo, I'm looking at it and it is a Speeco 22ton split master. Its got a briggs and stratton 650 series motor. Apparently it hasnt even been ran. I gotta go through it and purdy it up as it looks like someone spit mud all over it. The engine and hydraulic resevoir is bone dry. I also get to replace the wheel bearings in it cause one side is toasted...

But all in all, this oughtta be one helluva splitter! Well, it is cause I never had one before, lol! :clap:

Latest posts

Back