Log truck building assistance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdoggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been searching for pictures of those old catapult type log loaders (as seen on Discovery's mule logging) I am wanting to build one for myself or at least figure out how it's built. The thing looks very simple and easy to construct but I need something to work off of besides a photo from a distance.
loggingtrucksforsale9810.jpg

Last edited:
look at a log lift for a log splitter.

I think you would be a LOT happier if you found an old small skid steer or small front end loader on tractor.

skid steer means you could go into woods drag out logs. then load them.
then unload them.
then pick and move the rounds, firewood, etc

The fact of the matter is money is tight #1 and #2 I want to have an excuse for welding and digging through scrap. I would love to get a old skidsteer or tractor but they are non existent around here for the prices I would like to pay. Besides I don't have very much to haul out of my woods for timber but I would need it to load up at my friends tree care dump.

log catapult

The catapult those guys used on Mule Logging looked like it really would take its toll on the truck. I can't imagine any truck holding up well to tossing those monster logs like that. Good luck and if it happens make sure there are pictures!

I owned a rig like your picture for several years. Its called a side loader. I could describe how it works, but it would not be enough to go on and build one.
The easiest way would be to call any of the local ( small ) hardwood sawmills in your area. Tell them you are looking for a side loader. Around here they are 500 to 800 dollars when you come across them. The ones I have seen were built in Tenn. and Alabama.

They are simple, but I believe you would need to see one to be able to build it right. You will probably only find one in a rural, backwoods area.
To someone watching that has never seen them before it always gets the comments and looks crazy, but the truth is they work pretty good in some situations.

My father in law has two side loaders. I like watching the mules drag up a log to the truck. They know just where to stop for the loader..Then it just sorta tosses the log on the truck and you done...

BD, I saw that show & thought the loader was pretty slick. Some guys ingenuity to solve a problem. But, that said, theres a reason they're becoming obsolete. #1, like nosoot said, 2000 lb logs falling on the bed of a truck have to take a toll on it somewhere. I wouldn't want it on mine. #2 is logs are about all you can load with it. The way you get around scrap & stuff, I'd look for a Hiab type boom you can mount behind the cab. Lot safer, and you aren't limited to just logs. I've made some $$$$ with the crane on my F350 moving machinery, wood stoves, gunsafes, etc. Just my 2 cents though.

Latest posts

Back