log values

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rftreeman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi guys, I made a thread in the milling forum and they suggested I put it here so, here it is.

I'm going to start taking my logs of good size to the mill myself (use to give them away) and want too know how to figure the value of them before I go, can't I buy some type of stick that will tell me the board feet of the logs or something like that, the mill is a decent haul so I want to make sure it will be worth it although I know it will.

here's the thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=48968

Last edited:
What you are referring to is a log rule. You need to know what they use for scaling. Most mills I deal with use international 1/4" rule. Other common one's are Scribner and Doyle. Bailey's has them! Board footage is only part of the equation, grade is what determines how much $$$. Talk to the log buyer and get their spec sheet which tells you the different grades they buy an how much they pay!

Good luck!

thanks, I'm going to call them Tuesday and see if they can send me their specs and such, I think the guy I use to give them to got mad at me when I told him I was going to start hauling them to the mill myself, he hasn't returned my calls about this same question, he never would tell me anything about money or even where to take them, I had to find the mill myself by asking local loggers and even some of them acted as if they didn't want to give up the info either.

Rftreeman, are you a residential treeman? And are you going to be taking logs to the mill from trees you've taken down in people's yards? If this is the case, then you are going to either have a hard time selling them or are going to take a huge cut in what you will get for them. Mills hate logs out of people's yards-never know what you are going to find in them. Probably about half of my takedowns get sent to the mill as logs-sometimes we get lucky and other times the logs are just loaded with metal. Also, turning a tree into logs while still in the air can be a bit tricky. Staple the end of a tape into the base and mark out your logs on the way up, then drop them on the way down. Usually giving yourself a couple inches extra to work with helps too. And depending on the type of tree, a bore cut of some kind is needed to keep splinters from pulling out of the butts.

If this isn't the case, then sorry to waste your time-but seems i remember you as a treeman. Good luck.

A good metal detector has a lot of use for yard trees. Lots of times there are visible indicators, but sometimes the MD will sound off on a smooth/clean looking part and save you from sending metal to the mill or finding it after you have cut to length. Then some mills might not want your yard trees no matter what.

Sounds like you want log scaling tables. If you are going to do a lot of it, a scaling stick might be a good investment. You'll also need to get info on what to deduct for defect in your local area in order to be accurate. The mills are usually merciless in deducting for defect. For those of us in the Pacific N. West, the Idaho Scaling Bureau put out a great book on scaling logs.
I heard it was out of print though. Maybe there's a similar book for your area.

Latest posts

Back