Logging vocabulary

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
I was going to say something about antiquated, but I'm not that far behind you.

Those really old landingmen have all the terms down, that's where I heard most of the color in our language.

Hey you! You're still ten years behind me...you're just a pup, ya know.;) And you're right about the language. If the average non-logger person was to overhear a bunch of loggers planning out a setting or a strip they'd think they were hearing some kind of foreign language. And, with all the accents I remember from when I started in the woods, they might have been almost right. Within the first year of working in the woods I could cuss in four different Scandinavian languages. Also Italian and Portuguese.

Ever notice you don't hear the "country or origin" accents in the woods anymore? Except for the south of the border exchange students, that is.

Last edited:
RandyMac

RandyMac

Stiff Member
While liberally salted with regular profanities, logging talk has lots of descriptive phrases. Malingering machines catch the brunt of such sayings. One machine that seemed to be everyone's favorite, was an old NorthWest loader. In it's favor, when it ran, no man could yell loud enough to be heard.

Gologit

Gologit

Completely retired...life is good.
. AS Supporting Member.
Haha, Color is right. There is probably an x rated vocab. somewhere.

There probably is but we'd all get banned if we used even a little bit of it.

We had a Christian on the crew one time. He was a good guy, hard worker, knew his stuff...but he didn't cuss. Ever. He didn't say anything if we used foul language he just didn't do it himself. He had a tree set back on him one day and he wedged and he wedged and he wedged...and he wedged some more until was red in the face and just worn out. I walked down to help him him and he said..."I don't think I can keep working in the woods...another couple of trees like this and I might just have to learn to cuss to keep my head from blowing off".

hammerlogging

hammerlogging

Addicted to ArboristSite
Red used to tell me its not until you have 3 ####s in a sentence that you're really ####ed.

I know when I throw a chain, "mother####er" is the usual. Red'd here "mother####er" and would radio over "did ya throw yer chain?"Although I did surprise myself the other day with a "god damn mother####in ##### ass whore ####" I embarrassed myself with that one, I can really crack myself up out there cutting alone (but not tooo far from the loggers....)
It really is therapuetic, I generally laugh at myself at each outburst, roll my chain back on and carry on better than ever. Now, if I throw a chain say more than 2 times in an hour, watch out.

You just have to be careful of the company you're with when the conversation gets to logging cause man, loggin and cussin just seem to go together

Last edited:
forestryworks

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Red used to tell me its not until you have 3 ####s in a sentence that you're really ####ed.

I know when I throw a chain, "mother####er" is the usual. Red'd here "mother####er" and would radio over "did ya throw yer chain?"Although I did surprise myself the other day with a "god damn mother####in ##### ass whore ####" I embarrassed myself with that one, I can really crack myself up out there cutting alone (but not tooo far from the loggers....)
It really is therapuetic, I generally laugh at myself at each outburst, roll my chain back on and carry on better than ever. Now, if I throw a chain say more than 2 times in an hour, watch out.

You just have to be careful of the company you're with when the conversation gets to logging cause man, loggin and cussin just seem to go together

I don't know if I want to work with you now, I'd be laughing to hard hearing some man in the next strip over rant and rave :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts