Logging with oxen or horses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing is, they had plenty of trees to pee on before they removed all of them from the neighbor's lot.

It was a singular event, there's nothing left worth moving equipment in to go back for (not likely to happen again), so I let it go. ;)

Thanks everyone. Yeah. I'm still not sure. You have to understand that up here logging is huge and most companies have reps and are known for what they do. Trying to break out in the market I would have to do something different. A reason why they'd pick my business over someone else. I need to stand out. Can just be another guy with a Skidder and chainsaw. I'm sure there lots that would do it cheaper and faster with more help than I could offer. But that's why thinking about having my own niche of the industry up here would be a must.

So, 7 years ago maybe a little longer I took the plunge and started logging, this was in 2008 timber prices where in the toilet, Hel they where in an overfull septic tank waiting on a well fare check to get pumped out...

Anyway everybody told me that there was no money in logging, I'd be a fool, etc. Granted at the time it was more of hobby that happened to make some ok cash to buy more crap I still don't need.

Like yerself I considered going with horses, still think about it at times, also thought I could build a short dog skidder for cheap in reality I had lots of dreams and little time or money to pull any of them off, so I nearly stole an old tractor from a friend for $300 and a bottle of whisky, spent a few weeks making it go and work properly (and mostly safely... mostly...) built up a simple arch and away I went.

But it was ****ing slow, took 5-6 weekends of brutal ass kicking work to make up one load of logs, something had to change.

So I mortgaged the house and bought myself a skidder about 3 years ago, its not big, just under 12k, not much bigger foot print then your average pickup truck, but it moves the wood. Now I can reliably bring in 1-2 loads a weekend vs 5-6 weeks for one load, and with a small amount of luck and lack of anything important breaking I'll be full time logging within a year or so.

Today I like to think I've built a reputation for the guy that can do a small job and still make money at it, without being a jerk in the process, its a slow climb but its a constant and rewarding climb.

Also I do my damndest to leave good looking sites, plan my trails to avoid soft spots, play nice with the neighbors, use existing trails when available, (if they aren't already ******), never leave a tree hung up if I can avoid it, avoid barking leave trees when possible.

One last thing that a horsey can't do is push brush, leaving the brush laying around is fine in some places, but others they want a pile so they can burn it at first chance, pony's will not push...

Anyway what I'm gettin at in my long winded rendition is that get what you think your going to be comfortable with, and make it work, do a good job and your work will speak for you, the Hel with what the competition has to say about it, make money at it and leave happy landowners the rest is just details.

One last perk for a skidder is that you can hide behind the tires to urinate, Pooing usually involves elaborate stances and large stumps in strategic locations... pooing in the woods is best left to the deer...

And no bears don't poo in the woods they use the roads... its like a handicap stall for wildlife.

One last perk for a skidder is that you can hide behind the tires to urinate, Pooing usually involves elaborate stances and large stumps in strategic locations... pooing in the woods is best left to the deer...

And no bears don't poo in the woods they use the roads... its like a handicap stall for wildlife.
lol try it on a round rock with it being covered with an ice sheet no wider than a footing stance! makes for a good laugh when watching the ravens "pickin **** with the crows"........ or the chitter trying to do the job???? lol

Why I care is because I was hoping to buy those parcels some day. Now I don't want it.

You might want to take a look at my thread in the photo's section about my swamp road. It looks a little different than the last time you tried mocking me. ;)
The thing is you're assuming the loggers are to blame. Maybe the land owner demanded max dollar. Maybe the merch timber was over ripe and needed to come off and there wasn't much worth a dam left cuz it hadn't been managed for so long. Lots of scenarios here that you could be unaware of. Every woods has its own prescription and reason for being cut.

Sometimes the LO wants it ravaged and left, don't want to pay for cleanup, just want the money and doesn't care how they get it. In reality that is pretty much what most LO's want when they do log, money... After all that is the purpose of having all those nice trees, otherwise they would clear it and plant horses or something.

Every woods has its own prescription and reason for being cut.

My issue isn't with what they took, but what they left. This parcel would be better off being fully clear cut than how they left it, and that was confirmed by a forestry professor who's also seen it from the ground (and happens to be another neighbor).

Slowp, when you get into the New Testament, it says be nice to people even if you disagree with them. Just say'n. Since you're not my mother, you can also stop telling me what to do. Thanks! :)

Thanks for all the input. Honestly I've been OTR trucking this last week and haven't had time to read everything but after a little math I figured out conservatively that using a tractor with a a winch I would come out ahead annually but in the sense of accomplishment. Idk. But I am excited to see in the next year where I'll end up. What my choices will be and truly either way doing this ill still make more than I am now and will enjoy work immensely more

Some pictures taken today. I can't say if this is a second or third entry. I suspect a third because it is easy to access. This was logged about a year ago. It was cut with a feller buncher. It hasn't been planted yet. They left hemlocks for wildlife trees, and some have blown down where they become "down woody debris" and supply habitat for little critters whilst rotting and supplying nutrients to the soil. The loggers made a few snags with their machine. Note the cedar that is slabbed off.
DSCN1701.JPG

Here is a clump. I'm not sure if it is a zag in the boundary or a clump left for wildlife, but trees have not blown over in it.

DSCN1707.JPG

They took a cull tree and made it into a snag.

DSCN1706.JPG

Nearby, we walk by an older stand where they left a few wildlife trees here and there.

DSCN1709.JPG

This is a tree farm, but I have seen deer, owls, hawks and the Demon Dog usually flushes up a grouse. There are elk tracks, but I've never seen the elk. On down the road there is a unit that had the cedar munched on big time. Yes, they had tubed the seedlings. The company replanted amongst the cedar with Doug-fir which is less tasty to deer and elk. This year I noticed that some of the surviving cedar has caught up to the Doug-fir in growth and seems to be coming out of the shock of being munched on.
The roadside has had the Scotch Broom sprayed but there are a few surviving twigs of it.

I expect they'll replant the first cutting unit this spring. I'm curious what it will be planted with. If it is a third entry, I'd put in some alder seedlings--maybe interplant that with conifer seedlings.

Wow lots of stuff...

Yes I did do some logging before striking out on my own, teenage years helping my uncle. Cat arch, and skidder logging.

Alder is a nitrogen fixer, helps rebuild the soil fer the money trees.

And to no one inparticular, coveting thy neighbors property is just rude, and verboten in Norse mythology as well, you wan't it make an offer if not shut up move on or start a small neighborly war over it. Its not your dirt not your decisions, and not your timber to manage.

Done enough cutting trees over lawsuits involving "the view" to know there are no winners in that feild

Who said anything about coveting it? Wanting to buy it in the past and not wanting to buy it now is all that was said.

How come? Does the soil need a break?

Red Alder is a good thing. It used to be considered a weed. It will seed in on its own at this elevation, but things can be speeded up by planting it. Like Northman said, it is a nitrogen fixer. A guy who bought a stump farm near that unit planted Doug-fir. It started turning yellow. This spring he was interplanting with alder and we are waiting to see if it helps.

The same company actually did plant alder in another clearcut. It is doing well.

wanting to buy is synonymous with coveting... desire to own what is not yours and not available.

Webster's would disagree with your definition. To yearn for, or lust after something is coveting. I never yearned after that parcel, nor mine for that matter. I bought a tiny lot next to it and made an offer which was accepted. There was all of about 5 weeks between those two events. No time to lust. ;)

I want to buy out the whole block, but that doesn't mean I covet it. :D I'm content with my acreage, but not looking at future possibilities is rather narrow sighted. I have expressed an interest in buying out my South neighbor's land should he decide to sell. I guess I should go to confession? :lol:

Red Alder is a good thing. It used to be considered a weed. It will seed in on its own at this elevation, but things can be speeded up by planting it. Like Northman said, it is a nitrogen fixer. A guy who bought a stump farm near that unit planted Doug-fir. It started turning yellow. This spring he was interplanting with alder and we are waiting to see if it helps.

The same company actually did plant alder in another clearcut. It is doing well.

I believe it is the same with our northern hardwood stands. Basswood is good for nitrogen and shouldnt be eliminated from a stand. Does this effect come from the decomposing leaves? I appreciate the enlightenment.

Back