Logging with oxen or horses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alder is a legume from what I've been told, not a forester or ologist by any means, so it fixes nitrogen in its root system, much like beans and clover.

Locust will do the same thing, and we get some around here, probably planted by pioneers lookin for decent fence posts... probably didn't do any readin about cedar...

Patty those are nice pics you posted. Do you know what the forest consisted of before logging? Also, were there Indians there before logging?

Scotch Broom?! Kill it! Kill it with fire!!

The Cowlitz tribe hung out in this area. There is a little chunk of "reservation" somewhere near where I live. I'm not sure what the story is on that. They had quite a trail system over the mountains where they traded with the Yakamas. Those trails are now official trails where they aren't roads. I'm thinking the forest was Western Red Cedar, Doug-fir and hemlock with the usual maples scattered about. There are a few big stumps in there--nothing huge though.

There is some kind of logging going on hot and heavy on another nearby chunk of land owned by the same landowner. I saw a nice load of alder going down the road. I'll have to go in on a weekend with my bicycle and go see what is going on. I had 6 loaded log trucks go by in about an hour from that spot. They've either got a big deck or are hitting it hard.

Back to logging with oxen or horses , I did a service call this week , was talking to the chap while working on his truck , his uncle logged with horses many years back , one day while hitching a haul his cutting partner started a saw to top a log , the horses got spooked and bolted , he lost 2 fingers when the chain cinched tight .
Oxen on the other hand are slower but they don't know fear .

Amish loggers , I wonder how much timber they actually cut ?
The thing is when they cut timber the whole village shows up. I've seen em in action. Fricken 90 degrees in long sleeves and pants with their hats on. They can use power saws tho. Thats where the modern conviences ended for them. I know of amish that run harvesters and forwarders. I think they can't own them tho.

different rules for different communities, the Elders decide what is good and what is bad, constantly evolves. Some have phones, some only have one phone per village etc. From what I've heard its supposed to be what can hurt or benefit a community... so cars mean no walking and talking face to face with neighbors, etc.

Do you guys have any substantial populations out there? We have an area called Amish country. I honestly don't know much about em. Its fun talkin to em tho. One told me once that what I do is a lot of work. Meaning cutting/skidding alone. I thought that was funny. Amish callin english a hard worker.

To be honest the whole thing is fascinating, and I think it would be fun to spend a year or so with some hard core amish just learning how they do things with armstrong power, and the whole community thing is pretty awesome. Granted all that praying and singular god thing isn't my cup of tea.

More and more Mennonites, but no "Amish" (though the Amish would consider themself's Mennonites).

They meat at a Grange down bellow in the biggish town, and there are a handfull of CSA's they run.

There is a large Mennonite population in the northern Sacramento Valley. A lot of them are farmers but there are quite a few that have logging trucks too.
I've worked with some of them for many years and I've found that they're one of the most honest, industrious, and hardworking group of people that I've ever seen. They have a work ethic that is beyond compare.
They tend to be clannish but I think that's a natural response to many years of poor treatment and ridicule by people who don't really understand them.
If you're straight with them they'll be straight with you. Once they know you're alright they're just as personable as anybody. I've never had a Mennonite truck on a job that I had any problem with.

Back