long burn times in tiny stoves ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can get a 12 hour burn time in my barrel stove. With that stove kit from menards

Sent from me to you using my fingers

Only way to improve it is better firewood with higher BTU's and then trial and error on size of splits, NS/EW etc...

Really it is amount of fuel that limits you so either a bigger stove or better fuel. Beyond that you are trying to do something the stove just cannot do.

Rounds seem to burn a little longer than splits. I had a small stove in a 320 SF cabin and we put the biggest round we could fit through the stove door on a hot coal bed for overnight burns. After it started to burn good I closed the damper for the night, then built a small hot fire in the morning to clean the pipes. Even with the damper closed all the way it would still get mighty warm,,, mid 90s maybe.

If you don't have to have a lot of overnight heat let your stove die down to coals, get at least one big chunk in and pack with small splits and put some greener wood on top and choke it down for the night, should have enough left in the morning to get you a quick fire going. Guessing your long burning wood supply in Idaho is sort of limited?

I use oak or hickory either in rounds or split blocks in as big of pieces as I can get through the door. 5 1/2" +/- X 8" X 16" usually burn all night for me. I put them on a good hot bed of coals and let them get going before i damper down.

All depends upon the individual stove, the operator and the wood source.

Even though I was born beside a wood stove, I learned much more reading Ole Wik's book WOOD STOVES, HOW TO MAKE THEM AND USE THEM.

Was finally nice getting a 7 hour burn in an 18gauge tent stove in -30C temperatures.

If you don't have to have a lot of overnight heat let your stove die down to coals, get at least one big chunk in and pack with small splits and put some greener wood on top and choke it down for the night, should have enough left in the morning to get you a quick fire going. Guessing your long burning wood supply in Idaho is sort of limited?

It looks like the local doug fir is best,I am not in the cabin this winter,stove is uninstalled,Any tips on designing in more burn time appreciated. I have another thread on other issues ..Thanks

Biggest single chunk you can get in there, gets the longest burn time. less heat, but longest burn.. Thats why I like our dual door heater, front loader, plus the top swings up so you can drop in a mambo all nighter piece.

Just curious, how big a firebox are you calling a small stove?

Like the others have said, put the biggest log you can get thru the door on a bed of hot coals and pack the box out with the smaller splits. Of course if you can you want to use locust or hickory for those long burn times, but you will have to work with what you have access too.

Two other things to think about. First many of the small EPA stoves don't do well with large logs. If you cant get a large log to burn well you won't get much heat from your stove. Also many of the EPA stoves won't let you chock the air down to level that the older stoves will to get the long burn times. The second thing is any stove with the air supply shut down to get long burns will make lots of creosote. If you aren't up to doing regular flue cleanings during burning season, don't try to get the longest burn times.

Latest posts

Back