Long distance diagnostics..... Tom, Andy HELP!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I think I'm gonna need professional help.

(and then maybe some help with the saw too :dizzy: ):laugh:

Alright my MS260 runs strong, will idle all day, and is the picture of consistency when cutting. The problem is when the saw is at idle if you tip the saw it tries to die.

Duh it's just rich easy fix dummy turn the screw...... no even with the low speed jet leaned out to where the saw will hardly stay running (like 1/4 turn out) it will die when you tip it.

Maybe carb issues....... nope again, swapped a new carb and one from a known runner and same thing.

Seals?........ passed pressure and vacuum test's and run's dead solid in every other way.

I know the 026/260 is one of the most temperamental saw’s out there for fine tune adjustments but I have adjusted this thing every way possible and nothing will stop it from doing this. I can tune this saw so you can set it down and it will idle for as long as you want to sit and watch it but tip it when you pick it up and you better be on the trigger.

The problem seems to be worse when the outside temp is cold. When it's warm out the saw just kinda stumbles a little but when it's cold out it really stalls hard and will die.

I bought this saw new back when the 026 made the change to the MS model and it has done this since it was new. Yeah I know I should have taken it in under warranty but it was never a real big deal to me just rev'er a little to clear (rich) and get to cutt'n. knowing a little more about saws now and doing my own wrench work this little quirk has become a real PIA. What am I missing here????

I know you swapped carbs and it passed a vacuum test butt try rebuilding the carb and check the gasket behind the carb try replacing that as well.

That's usually a condition of simply running too rich - the fuel pools into the inlet boot wrinkles and the bottom of the crankcase. Movng the saw causes the excess fuel to be moved. Are you sure it's just not idling too low? Turn up the LA until the chain moves then back it off a bit.

Try one thing -tip the saw, gun it a few time to clear any accumlated gas and see if it will idle in that position. If it does, it's not seals etc.

With the newer style fuel lines, you might peek in the tank and see which direction the s is pointed, it may have never been installed correctly.

That saw is an old Stihl design, and carb related problems is not unusual in the US, as I read it - never seen any here though....:givebeer: :)

I know you swapped carbs and it passed a vacuum test butt try rebuilding the carb and check the gasket behind the carb try replacing that as well.

Saw does the same thing with 3 different carbs, the carb that was on it, one that came from a perfectly good running and idling saw, and one that was brand spanking new never had gas in it. At this point I'm certain it's not the carb.

That's usually a condition of simply running too rich - the fuel pools into the inlet boot wrinkles and the bottom of the crankcase. Movng the saw causes the excess fuel to be moved. Are you sure it's just not idling too low? Turn up the LA until the chain moves then back it off a bit.

Will do it idled high enough to bump the chain and I have adjusted it to everything from 2800 - 3500 on the tach.... tip it and she dies :confused:

Try one thing -tip the saw, gun it a few time to clear any accumlated gas and see if it will idle in that position. If it does, it's not seals etc.

Yeup did that already she'll purr like a kitten. Turn it right side up and let it idle 10 seconds..... tip it and floods it out. It will idle for 10 minutes sitting on the ground and run's fine in every other way, but tip it on it's nose and .......:bang: :dizzy:

It defiantly acts as if it's pooled gas (rich) but even leaned out to barely (read not) running (1/4 turn out from seat) she'll die when you tip it.:confused:

I'm stumped???

I know I am feces on the bottom of your guy's boots, but the fuel line is the first thing to look at.

Which way is the loop pointed? is the filter hung up in the fuel cap keeper?

Did you inspect the fuel line at all?

It is easy to look and see....................................................

But since I must be on a lot of the ignore lists, I can post what I want.

My 026 is not tempermental, and have not found one that has "stumped"
me, but I am not qualified to say much.......................

But one thing is important, start with the simple things first.

But I am just rambling....................................

You have done all of the final tests, and may or may not have done them
correct. We have no way of knowing. Tried several carbs, found no
air/vacuum leaks, etc.
2 things stick out. Fuel line....... Water in the fuel.........
Maybe chafed ignition kill wires close to each other.........
But I have yet to find a haunted saw, the answer is there, somewhere,
but ignoring "Fish" is always a bad thing to do, at least in my tiny, achohol
pickled mind.

Well.......... I digress...........................................................

Okay what shape is the carb boot in?I also recomend checking and maybe replacing the fuel line it might have a pin hole in it.

I know I am feces on the bottom of your guy's boots, but the fuel line is the first thing to look at.

air/vacuum leaks, etc.
pickled mind.

Well.......... I digress...........................................................

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still like ya Fish:clap:

This happened to my 034, they rubbed on the flywheel, and it took me FOREVER to figure it out. Worst part was I was just bragging that saw up before that happened.:cry:

Do you know why women don't make good machinist?

Everyone keeps telling them this:
..............[.................................................................. ]...........

is six inches.

Back to the saw...
I modded the muffler and put a full adjust carb on a new MS 260 and while it did give it more power and performance, it also caused the idle problem discussed here to get worse. I have heard that the 026 could have fuel puddling problems, and I agree with Lake, that that is probably what is happening.
I decided to try changing the cylinder on my MS 260 to match the design change STIHL did to the MS 361 to solve a similar problem. I will take a picture of a 361 cylinder when I get to work Monday and post it. To try to describe it, there is a small hole drilled in the bottom of the cylinder, below the intake port, to drain any fuel that puddles there. After modding the cylinder on the MS 260, it did help, but I am in the habit of just blipping the throttle as I use it to keep it cleared out, and of course with the muffler opened up it also sounds cool, too!

air/vacuum leaks, etc.
pickled mind.

Not ignoring you Fish wife decided it was gonna be family movie night so I didn't have time to run down and check it.
(and I haven't checked it, never known a fuel line to cause these symptoms, but then again I don't see the number of jacked up saws you do)
I'll head down and look here in a few when my little girl goes to bed.

Now the real question's Fish

Just how big'a ole boy are ya?
You ready to go fishing yet???
I got $20.00 :jester:

:fart:
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Well off to finish watching nemo back in a few

Iignore lists, I can post what I want.

I aslo have never had one the "beat me"... and I see "several" per week..
Dying when tilted or tipped is not normal. Sure, there may be a temporary change in rpm, but that's not uncommon on most saws that have been idling.

Last edited:
Back