long term saw storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious as to the reasoning behind taking the bar and chain off during long term storage? Anyone know the reason?

I run them empty. Then I add just a tad bit of Tru Fuel and run them empty again. That way, if there is a bit of fuel stuck in the system, at least there won't be any ethanol.

Every spring I make sure the tank has gas in it (I use AVgas), run it until it is nice and warm (10 minutes), then spray fogging oil into the carb so that it will barely run for a couple moments, when smoking hard, shut it off. Done.

run the saw dry completely so that there is no fuel left in it. piston at tdc. plugging the exhaust is not a bad idea, as said to keep the critters out. or run it dry and put about a half tank of "50 fuel" or stihl motomix in it and run it for 15 minutes or so. these fuels have a 2 year shelf life out of the original bottle, so in a year you can pick up the saw and get to work.

I know a guy who runs em dry then WD40's them and shrink wraps em, they come out looking minty fresh. The oil and shrink wrap keeps the moisture out.

Chris

I like the bag or shrinkwrap idea. I wonder if you could do to saws what we do with long term dry food storage, like packing grains into sealed buckets or cans. Flood with co2 or nitrogen, something to get the oxygen out. Or use an oxygen absorber packet (or chemical handwarmer, same thing really, just much larger).

Back