Longest Bar ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can8ianTimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So just out of curiosity and because all us guys are obsessed with the biggest and best, what is the longest bar you guys have. I have a 60" Granberg for my 3120xp but I know there are longer bars out there. Oh and post pics if you can. I will post my 3120 with bar once I get it back from being Walkerized (and rebuilt b/c I burned it up). :greenchainsaw:

:cry:Well, I had the 5' bar and I was ripping Oak. I hit steel and did not realize it. Kept on pushing the saw with a dull chain. Bad idea and did not realize how dull the chain was until after when the saw would not start anymore.:cry:

Long Bar

While I don't have it, and did not buy it, I distinctly remember seeing a 108" bar in the Homelite dealer in Bountiful Utah in the 1970's for my XP1000. No pictures, it was hanging on the wall, a real monster.

While I don't have it, and did not buy it, I distinctly remember seeing a 108" bar in the Homelite dealer in Bountiful Utah in the 1970's for my XP1000. No pictures, it was hanging on the wall, a real monster.

That's freakin 9 feet.:jawdrop: That can't be for a one man saw.

108" Bar

I was a roller nose, one man bar. I cannot imagine using it. On the madsens site, they have a picture of a 3120 with an 8 foot bar being used.

"Guy VanGaasbeek is using an 8ft bar on Husky 3120 he got from Madsen's. He is cutting an old growth cedar, which had fallen and blocked a roadway in a campground in Southern California."

That bar was in Utah, and my experience logging and in forestry school there was that an 8 foot bar was not needed. Who knows it may have been a conversation piece.

Yeep that is a long bar. here is a link to that page.

http://www.madsens1.com/fall.htm

that makes my 41" bar look so.... inadequet.

I just picked up a 47" stihl duramatic E and 2 36" ES bars for my 880 of ebay, I need the 47 like I need a hole in the head but I'm sure I'll find some use for it. I wanted the 36"ers and getting the 47" and 9 decent chains (3 47" loops and 6 36" loops) was icing on the cake

There's a place here in Portland called "Chain and bar repair". The guy there has been making and repairing bars for 35 years. Last time I was in he was about to ship out a few 10' (3m) bars he fabricated to mount on an 090 (w/ helper handle). He says there is a guy in Siberia that buys a few every year and has them shipped over.
I wish I had taken a pic.
Longest I go is 36" (1m)

I talked to Bill I think it is at chain bar and repair and he told me the biggest he ever made was a 14'. He said that he would never do one again though. CRAZY

that makes my 41" bar look so.... inadequet.

I just picked up a 47" stihl duramatic E and 2 36" ES bars for my 880 of ebay, I need the 47 like I need a hole in the head but I'm sure I'll find some use for it. I wanted the 36"ers and getting the 47" and 9 decent chains (3 47" loops and 6 36" loops) was icing on the cake

I like your 3 saw plan, Im 2/3's there myself. 460 660

8' long bar! what are you using that for??? where'd you buy it, and any pics??? skip chain for sure.

curious cuz it looks like im gonna be buying an ms880 and wondering how long a bar it can handle...

hey aggie, what type of chain do you run on longer bars and what's your longest bar??

jordan

Back