Longest Bar ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8' long bar! what are you using that for??? where'd you buy it, and any pics??? skip chain for sure.

curious cuz it looks like im gonna be buying an ms880 and wondering how long a bar it can handle...

hey aggie, what type of chain do you run on longer bars and what's your longest bar??

jordan

Hey fellow aggie,

I'm using it to mill a 55" pecan tree. I bought the bar from Cannon. No pics yet. Yes, full skip square ground chisel chain ground to 10 degrees. It will cross cut 55" pecan disks in 2 minutes. If you are going to buy a bar that big, buy a double ended bar incase you ever want to run two powerheads.

8' long bar! what are you using that for??? where'd you buy it, and any pics??? skip chain for sure.

curious cuz it looks like im gonna be buying an ms880 and wondering how long a bar it can handle...

hey aggie, what type of chain do you run on longer bars and what's your longest bar??

jordan

I run 3/8" pitch full comp ripping chain.

The longest I have is 72".

I've only broken one when I hit a 60d nail that would have broke a .404 chain just the same. I like the reduced waste and increased speed that 3/8 gives me. You just have to keep them sharp and they do well.

That's the 72". Thanks.

I've only broken one when I hit a 60d nail that would have broke a .404 chain just the same. I like the reduced waste and increased speed that 3/8 gives me. You just have to keep them sharp and they do well.

That's the 72". Thanks.

hmmmmmmm!!! I have a full roll of 3/8 chain that I get with the grinder I bought off CL. I would love to switch over to 3/8 so my saws would be running off the same size chain. You've got me thinking!!!

I run 3/8 chain on my 36" 088 without problem. I will run it on a larger bar if I get one. Same chain is good :agree2:

3/8" chain on 60" bar works for me. It is more likely to come off the bar at the start of the cut since it heats up much quicker than the bar and expands so I find I have to tweak the tightness up a touch. Keeping it as sharp as possible helps.

So guys what would be the longest bar you would run with 3/8" chain??

Right now I have a 3120 with 60" bar (2 chains), 50" bar (one Chain) and 28" bar (three chains). I have about 95' of 3/8" .063 chain that came with my grinder so if I switched I could make enough chains. My future plans are to get a 372xp and if that were the case they could run on the same chain. I would also like to get longer double ended bar and second 3120 for slabing up to 8' wide. Could I slab with a 8' double ended bar on 3/8" chain??? With the clutch being outside the sprocket on the 3120 I would assume it is not that easy to switch out the sprocket, so going back and forth from 3/8 to 404would not be an option.

What do you guys recomend?

So guys what would be the longest bar you would run with 3/8" chain??

Right now I have a 3120 with 60" bar (2 chains), 50" bar (one Chain) and 28" bar (three chains). I have about 95' of 3/8" .063 chain that came with my grinder so if I switched I could make enough chains. My future plans are to get a 372xp and if that were the case they could run on the same chain. I would also like to get longer double ended bar and second 3120 for slabing up to 8' wide. Could I slab with a 8' double ended bar on 3/8" chain???

I have standardized on 3/8 for all my bars and chains, 24, 30, 36, 42, and 60". As for the 96", I would give it a go.

So just out of curiosity and because all us guys are obsessed with the biggest and best, what is the longest bar you guys have. I have a 60" Granberg for my 3120xp but I know there are longer bars out there. Oh and post pics if you can. I will post my 3120 with bar once I get it back from being Walkerized (and rebuilt b/c I burned it up). :greenchainsaw:
Longest Bar I own is a 54" refubished general bar that is mounted on my 088. It was refurbished by Mercury Manufacturing in Oregon. Longest I have ran is a 72" custom made bar by same company, It had some serious belly in it! I just used it to fall one tree and to do some rips for the helicopter. My bullbuck had a custom made 96" bar by mercury; held it but never used it (was very heavy with about 12" of belly); he got it for the 090 to do rips etc for Columbia. I also own a couple of 50" Canons for my 3120 tree service saw. I will try to round up some pics of my 54. Unfortunately the only pic I have is my 3120 after doing a tree job.:cheers:

Longest Bar I own is a 54" refubished general bar that is mounted on my 088. It was refurbished by Mercury Manufacturing in Oregon. Longest I have ran is a 72" custom made bar by same company, It had some serious belly in it! I just used it to fall one tree and to do some rips for the helicopter. My bullbuck had a custom made 96" bar by mercury; held it but never used it (was very heavy with about 12" of belly); he got it for the 090 to do rips etc for Columbia. I also own a couple of 50" Canons for my 3120 tree service saw. I will try to round up some pics of my 54. Unfortunately the only pic I have is my 3120 after doing a tree job.:cheers:
And here is one with my 54...only one I have...I just took this picture the other day...was doing a big tree job and wanted to take a picture of the bed slide that I just built with all my gear on it, and happened to have said bar in it.:cheers:

Cody

And here is one with my 54...only one I have...I just took this picture the other day...was doing a big tree job and wanted to take a picture of the bed slide that I just built with all my gear on it, and happened to have said bar in it.:cheers:

Cody

Nice set up. I like the slide bed for access to all your tools. I don't know how much good that bar protector is doing at the end of that 54" bar. nice stuff.

Nice set up. I like the slide bed for access to all your tools. I don't know how much good that bar protector is doing at the end of that 54" bar. nice stuff.
Yeah, I love that bed slide, especially if I start shoeing horses and have to transfer gear! That bar cover is a little pathetic, but it is all a have for it. I need to make a custom made cover...anybody got any good ideas?:cheers:

Cody

Yeah, I love that bed slide, especially if I start shoeing horses and have to transfer gear! That bar cover is a little pathetic, but it is all a have for it. I need to make a custom made cover...anybody got any good ideas?:cheers:

I would suggest going to your local fire department and asking if they had any hose that did not pass hydrotest probly 4 or 5 in Diameter hose would work great. then just cut to length and slide over the bar

I would suggest going to your local fire department and asking if they had any hose that did not pass hydrotest probly 4 or 5 in Diameter hose would work great. then just cut to length and slide over the bar
Thats an Idea! I will have to measure but I think my bar with 404 chain is close to 6 inches. Thanks,

Cody

Latest posts

Back