Looking for a BIG saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelofDarkness

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
something in the 80cc range that will pull a 24" bar and .404 chain nicely through hardwood. I'm looking at older Macs and Homies. Ebay has a lot of smaller saws but not many big ones, and the ones I do find are not exactly being given away. I'm not afraid of something that needs some work or something 30-40 years old as long as some parts are available.

Any suggestions?

something in the 80cc range that will pull a 24" bar and .404 chain nicely through hardwood. I'm looking at older Macs and Homies. Ebay has a lot of smaller saws but not many big ones, and the ones I do find are not exactly being given away. I'm not afraid of something that needs some work or something 30-40 years old as long as some parts are available.

Any suggestions?

I have an old Husky 480 for sale....$160. It looks like a 2100 Husky but is 77 cc versus 100cc. Also have a 2100 that I'd like $225-250 for. both are in good working order.....

Better to use .375 chain though, plenty strong and a lot cheaper.

I can't speak for Macs, but if you want ready parts-availability it'd be best to steer clear of Homelites. Parts are out there, but they aren't usually easy to come by (or cheap).

I can't speak for Macs, but if you want ready parts-availability it'd be best to steer clear of Homelites. Parts are out there, but they aren't usually easy to come by (or cheap).
I find with mac's it depends on the model my 105 is hard to get parts for I have not needed any parts for it yet but do have three air filters new in a box A lifetime for me.Stihl leads the way if you ask me as to getting parts for older saws and I am no stihl head saying this. My 041 is easy to get parts for I find. The 056 a little harder as I don't live in big timber country.

I believe the 066/MS660 is about 90CC, and slightly larger than you specified. But that would be my recommendation. They will pull .404 chain, but I see .404 being used mostly in soft wood, like pine, fir, cedar, etc. You can accomplish basically the same objective with an 8-pin sprocket and 3/8 pitch chain. I believe parts availability for the 066/MS660 will be excellent for many, many years to come. Lots of custom parts, like dual port muffler covers, lots and lots of bars and chain available. You may pay a little more up front for an 066/660, but I believe it would be a far better long-term investment, unless you just have an urge to own a 'classic saw'. In that case, for me personally, I would consider an older heavy Stihl, like the 051, 075, 076. 070, 090. A lot depends on whether you want a saw to work with, or one that is more of a compromise between a working saw and a collector's item.

Bottom line, I say, save a few more bucks, and buy an 066/MS660. In my case, I prefer the older 066 models. If you have your heart set on a Homelite, the folks here are saying very good things about the 925. I see a lot of this model for sale on Ebay, so parts availability should be about as good as it gets for an older saw. I have seen a few nice 925s sell for less than $200.00. It's about a 5 HP saw.

Stihl, BAH. Everybody and their brother here is running an 066 or an 090, and they're all from the same dealer who has somewhat of a local monopoly. I have used a few Stihl saws and was never impressed by them. I'll keep looking on Ebay and other sources, the big Homie 925's look good, and I am not going to be putting a ton of hours on the saw, just once in awhile I need to cut something really really big.

The Homelites and Macs are nice, but parts are hard to find and they don't cut that terribly fast for their size and vibration levels.

As much as you dislike the idea, there's a reason that the 066 is so popular: it works in the big stuff and is nimble enough for the smaller stuff, too.

066_Carlton_03a.jpg

Or you could just go the distance and go for the big CCs that actually like running .404:
Side_075_Stihl_02.jpg

Dolmar dealer down the road had a homey 925 in the used saw section last time there. Cant remember the price off hand, But if you need a look see, tell me your price range.

When he said BIG saw I was thinking he was looking 100+ too.

Last edited:
The Homelites and Macs are nice, but parts are hard to find and they don't cut that terribly fast for their size and vibration levels.

As much as you dislike the idea, there's a reason that the 066 is so popular: it works in the big stuff and is nimble enough for the smaller stuff, too.

066_Carlton_03a.jpg

Or you could just go the distance and go for the big CCs that actually like running .404:
Side_075_Stihl_02.jpg

What Brandon said. Why "reinvent the wheel" trying to find parts for a saw that should be retired. Find a more modern saw with good parts availability and you will be a happier camper. I've kind of lost my "thing" for really old iron. Too much time looking for parts, too much vibration to run, heavy, and slow. That said, they sound great, and are fun to play with, but I wouldn't be too keen on depending on one for work.

Mark

Just by your name, signature and your discription of a saw, a mac 125 is what you really want. There is at least one good one and two parts saws in the bay every week. Get one, rattle your bones. Why settle for anything less?

:chainsawguy:

Stihl, BAH. Everybody and their brother here is running an 066 or an 090, and they're all from the same dealer who has somewhat of a local monopoly. I have used a few Stihl saws and was never impressed by them. I'll keep looking on Ebay and other sources, the big Homie 925's look good, and I am not going to be putting a ton of hours on the saw, just once in awhile I need to cut something really really big.

The old xl 12's were good to me so I opted for the 925 when I got the oppurtunity. I run it side by side with a pro mac 800. The 800 was faster and when we switched saws it made the 925 feel like a rattletrap to me. I had a c5 and c52 homelites which were very reliable, but none of them come close to say a Stihl 045 . The pro mac 800 felt good though,smooth and had good power and speed.

Craigslist

Dude,
Check craigslist. I saw a mint 056 Mag II, that's like 94cc's and a friggin' beast of a saw. Outcuts a stock 660 and a husky 395XP. It is a beast and probably the nastiest saw under 100cc's I can think of... It's got more torque than the 3120 I tried running, that was with a 30" bar on it. If you can get your hands on it, it's $600, it's worth EVERY PENNY. You'll not be disappointed I promise. Hands down the 56Mag is my favorite saw of any and all saws I've ever run...

:cheers:

Angel,
Did You get one yet ??? Decide on one ??? Keep us informed !!!

What Brandon said. Why "reinvent the wheel" trying to find parts for a saw that should be retired. Find a more modern saw with good parts availability and you will be a happier camper. I've kind of lost my "thing" for really old iron. Too much time looking for parts, too much vibration to run, heavy, and slow. That said, they sound great, and are fun to play with, but I wouldn't be too keen on depending on one for work.

Mark

There is alot to be said for the invention of antivibe!!!!!!!! Hello??????:greenchainsaw: :dizzy: :spam:

I have a gear reduction Mac 1-86 that is a beast. 32 pounds, plus bar and chain, and all of the vibration that you can stand. $33 for one carb gasket (no kits were available)!! Look at newer saws if you plan on using it at all.
Merry Christmas

around these parts a lot of guys run 046's with 24" bars and 404 chain. It will cut 24" oak with ease. They can be had for 300-500 depending on condition. I know it isn't exactly what you want, but there are a ton of 046's and 460's out there and they still make them so parts should be around for many years.

-Steve

Back