Looking for a BIG saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Brandon said. Why "reinvent the wheel" trying to find parts for a saw that should be retired. Find a more modern saw with good parts availability and you will be a happier camper. I've kind of lost my "thing" for really old iron. Too much time looking for parts, too much vibration to run, heavy, and slow. That said, they sound great, and are fun to play with, but I wouldn't be too keen on depending on one for work.

Mark

+1 Brandon and Mark said it well. Theres a reason the big Stihls and Huskys have replaced the old iron. The old saws are fun to run once in ahile if you're into nostalgia but if I have to pack something in the brush all day and then find parts for it later I'll stick with something modern.

I'm not looking for something to run all day everyday, I don't cut the really big stuff that regularly. I would want a big saw maybe once a week or a few times a month, so I would not be putting a lot of hours on it, thats why I looked at older saws.

I ran a Mac Super 250 for a couple hours, bucked spruce with it. It had a 36" sprocket tip, full comp, full chisel .404. It did cut really well, the vibes were noticable, but not that bad, the noise however is something else. I had to use plugs under muffs to cut it to a good level. I had asked the owner about parts, since it seemed ancient to me, I was told that there are lots of parts, finding NOS stuff isn't that rare and the used parts are very common. after all, they made millions of the basic models, most parts interchange.
Anyway, at 87cc, the Supers look, sound, and cut like a big vintage chainsaw. I lusted after one I saw on ebay, it looked lots better than the one I used, it went for about $125.00 shipped. Until I can pony up the bucks, or somebody gives me one, I'll just gnaw away with the 1-43 I got awhile back.

Oh yeah, I was raised in a Stihl family and would kill for a 066.

Ray

don't know why you posted the thread. sounds like you all ready made up your mind.

i 2nd the notion of running .375 chain.

Just by your name, signature and your discription of a saw, a mac 125 is what you really want. There is at least one good one and two parts saws in the bay every week. Get one, rattle your bones. Why settle for anything less?

:chainsawguy:

Well I am not sure I would go as far as saying there are that many 125's sold each week. Lately they have been a few but not 3 per week. If you take a look at the sale prices it is obvious they are very expensive. I love old saws and have hundreds including the 125 but there is no way on earth I would give what the 125's are going for and intend on using it. As many have said before a 046 or 066 on the Stihl side or a 372 or 395 on the Husky side are fine saws. I have had all but the 395. On the Dolmar sid I cannot speak as the only one I have is a silver 112.

Bill

Bill,
Scents I said that, there has not been another one for sell lol! So no argument there haha!

I have a silver 112 also, bought it new and can't wear it out. I have a few 125s, I think I'll sell all but one, really don't see that many trees big enuff to justify having that type of beast. As you said Bill, my 440 is far my favirite saw to use day in and day out, but when I run up with a big enuff peice of wood, that Mac is a real RUSH to the operator and everyone around it.

Do you use your 112? I was a dolmar dealer for a while and I know they are collectable, but they sure are a nice saws to run.

Less than 200 but you'll need to buy a longer bar and chain.
Husqvarna%20181%20Preowned-2.jpg

http://www.amickssuperstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Husqvarna+181+Preowned

Another good thing about this saw is that it is easly upgraded to a 288 and that is a lot of saw.....

Back