Looking for a project, 026? 044?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaverman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to this site and to tinkering on saws. At the advice of several people on this site I began looking for a non-running Stihl 026 for my first saw rebuild. I like the idea of working on a relatively inexpensive saw. I have found tons of fully functional 026's in the 250-300 dollar range but no luck finding a project. I did however found several 044's, a saw I have always been intrigued with. I recently found this ad

"stihl 044 chain saw power head. Runs. All there but has hairline crack in crank case. $200 obo"

What do Ya'll think? Is this a good price for a saw in this condition? What besides the crank case would likely need to be replaced or repaired???:msp_confused:

I really can't explain my fascination with the 044, I just want one!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

My first question would be WHY is the case cracked, and then WHERE is it cracked? Epoxy may solve the problem, it may require welding, or replacing the case may be the best option. $200 isn't much for a running 044, but if the case must be replaced, then it's too much, in my opinion

I am new to this site and to tinkering on saws. At the advice of several people on this site I began looking for a non-running Stihl 026 for my first saw rebuild. I like the idea of working on a relatively inexpensive saw. I have found tons of fully functional 026's in the 250-300 dollar range but no luck finding a project. I did however found several 044's, a saw I have always been intrigued with. I recently found this ad

"stihl 044 chain saw power head. Runs. All there but has hairline crack in crank case. $200 obo"

What do Ya'll think? Is this a good price for a saw in this condition? What besides the crank case would likely need to be replaced or repaired???:msp_confused:

I really can't explain my fascination with the 044, I just want one!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Ask your local stihl dealers if they have any parts saws sitting in back they'd hawk for some cash so you have something to play with... Tell them you'll buy any parts from them and they usually become a little more agreeable...

Both saws are relatively easy to work on, but IMHO, I believe if you are new to tinkering w/ saws, you would be better served by restoring an 026 w/ a bad top-end as your first rebuild. A non running 026 can be had on flea-bay for $100 or less, aftermarket parts are available for most of the major components or used OEM parts if you wish. When you are done, sell the running,clean 026 to fund your non running 044. Personally, I would stay away from a cracked case rebuild until you get your feet wet on an easier job. That will go further to instill confidence and minimize frustration of "too much-too soon".

I've done 044 and 026

I kinda like doing the 026's better because I use that size saw the most

Seems once I get a saw done I end up opening it back up and doing more to the cylinders :msp_wink:

And so far I haven't heard that one sound you don't want to hear

I have way to many 50 cc saw's now :jester:

I've done 044 and 026

I kinda like doing the 026's better because I use that size saw the most

Seems once I get a saw done I end up opening it back up and doing more to the cylinders :msp_wink:

And so far I haven't heard that one sound you don't want to hear

I have way to many 50 cc saw's now :jester:

You are a prime CAD person. You don't have ENOUGH saws!:hmm3grin2orange:

My brother just picked up a non running 026 along with an 029s and an 019. He's going to use the 029s to complete an 029 project he has. He may be interested in selling the 026. PM me if you're interested.

IMAG0590_zps1701fe02.jpg

What's a ballpark fair price for the 026 project? Missing the starter assembly and front handle that I know of. He said it seemed to have good compression, but doesn't have a gauge. We're going to tear it down this weekend and see how the P/C look.

You are a prime CAD person. You don't have ENOUGH saws!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm not even counting the 50 cc and 60 cc class saws I got from my Dad when he died; but there are 5 50 cc saws here now

30 cc - 4

40 cc - 2 1/2

50 cc - 5

60 cc - 2

70 cc - 3

80 cc - 1

4 different brands of saws :msp_scared:

It seems the numbers goes up every couple weeks; now if I add my Dad's saw's that number goes up :jester:

I picked up a MS290 with my Echo twin yesterday, broken handle and no clutch cover. It was running before taking a dive out of a pickup truck. It would be an easy way to get your feet wet, PM me if interested.

Genious!!!

Ask your local stihl dealers if they have any parts saws sitting in back they'd hawk for some cash so you have something to play with... Tell them you'll buy any parts from them and they usually become a little more agreeable...

That is an awesome idea. I live really close to Longview Wa where two large logging/rigging supply stores are located. One sells Stihl and the other Husqvarna. I'll swing by on Friday when I go birthday shopping for my wife:hmm3grin2orange:

I bought an 026 Pro(scored p&c) yesterday from my Stihl dealer for $25 because the owner had it appraised to be repaired, found out the cost and then wouldn't pick it up...been sitting in the shop for 8 months. Get to know the tech...order some parts and you can find some deals if you be patient.:biggrin:

Back