Looking for a smaller saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056_Stihl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought some land recently and I've been taking out some of the dead oaks on the property for firewood and cleaning up some overgrown areas.

I've been using my dad's old Stihl 056 to get started, but I would like something a little handier. The 056 is great for 2-3 ft diameter stuff, but it would be nice to have something lighter for cleaning up branches and thinning out smaller trees. Maybe I'm just a wimp...the saw runs great and I don't have any complaints about how it cuts.

I have tried my neighbor's Husqvarna "Rancher?" but that might be too small...it didn't seem to have very much oomph...size/weight was good though. Any suggestions?

I have not ever picked up a 056 but it must be a hoss if you think a rancher is to small. Have you tried a current 70cc saw like a 441 or 460? My limber is a 50cc 026..............big saw is a 660.....

There are lots of choices for "lighter and handier" than that 056. It depends upon how light, and how much you want to spend.

The real lightweights are the Echo 345/3450/346 at 33.4cc and 7.5# powerhead. Their newer CS-3700 and CS-400 are a bit over 10#, but more powerful than the flyweights. Their next step up is the CS-520 with magnesium cases....each step is more weight, power, and $$.

Stihl makes rear handle versions of the 192 and 200, but the 026/MS260 is probably a better choice about 10.5#.

Husqvarna 353 and 346XP:chainsaw: (and Jonsered equivalents)would be their best bets at 10.5-11#. They make smaller saws, but I'm leery of plastic lower crankcase halves.

The Dolmar 5100s has been getting rave reviews and is much like the Husky 346xp....50cc bombs. The discontinued Dolmar PS-401 and PS-540 and Makita equivalents DCS401(8.8#) and DCS540(10.4#) are relative featherweights for their displacements, extremely well built, and bargain priced when you encounter them.

If you want more power, and a little more weight, the Stihl MS361 is about $600 and the Husqvarna 357xp a bit more.

Anything heavier than these are heavier than I want to wade through a brushpile with, so those would be my recommendations.

Saws that I own and use from the above list are the Echo CS345, CS3450, CS346 (all basically the same small rear handle), Makita DCS401 and DCS540, Husqvarna 346xp, and Stihl 026. I also have a Craftsman 42cc yardsale special that works better than the $15 I paid for it.

Check out the classifieds here on AS for new/used saws from members. Yard sales, garage sales, and flea markets often turn up bargains. Of course, there is your local dealer who can provide parts and service for what they sell, unlike the box stores selling at similar prices.:cheers:

Bought some land recently and I've been taking out some of the dead oaks on the property for firewood and cleaning up some overgrown areas.

I've been using my dad's old Stihl 056 to get started, but I would like something a little handier. The 056 is great for 2-3 ft diameter stuff, but it would be nice to have something lighter for cleaning up branches and thinning out smaller trees. Maybe I'm just a wimp...the saw runs great and I don't have any complaints about how it cuts.

I have tried my neighbor's Husqvarna "Rancher?" but that might be too small...it didn't seem to have very much oomph...size/weight was good though. Any suggestions?

Welcome to AS

After running 056, most any smaller saw you buy will seem to
be lacking oomph. Older saws run slower rpm and had more oomph.
New saws cut more with chain speed, you let it cut. You can't force
them (smaller saws) to cut like you can your 056. Good running 056 is a hoss
of a saw.

Gary

056 states almost 21 pounds on acres site, that would be tiring. I have to say for a 60cc saw I am very pleased with my Stihl 361. I am assuming from your rancher comment you are not looking for a 50cc saw. I don't cut lot of hardwood but I just muffler modded my 361 and put it in a piece of 24" dead maple and it did suprisingly well with a 20" bar. The 372xp is comparable to the 056 as far as power goes (056/5.6hp-372/5.3hp) and about 7 pounds lighter assuming acres site states specs correctly. The 372 would probably be more of a replacement for the 056 rather than a compliment though (just guessing because I've never run an 056.)

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...fb6834cf3438c53088256ba2004982af?OpenDocument

too many saws to list...

but there's basically four different classes of saws. without counting specialty top handle climbing saws. also some consider milling saws 100cc range as another class.

1. small limbing saws 50cc range
2. mid range saws 59cc range
3. medium/large saws 72cc range
4. large saws 85cc and up

most folks get along well with a two saw combo of Stihl 260/460, then add a MS200T for climbing. others can't get along without a true big saw like MS660 in their quiver.

others think a big saw starts with MS880 with a 5ft bar.

conventional wisdom says if you can only have one saw. go with a 59cc class saw like MS361/360. if your budget allows more than one saw, best to skip 59cc say altogether.

note I've used all Stihl models as examples only. Husky makes equals for all except MS200T. others make equally good saws, but don't have the dealer support network.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link!

056 states almost 21 pounds on acres site, that would be tiring. I have to say for a 60cc saw I am very pleased with my Stihl 361. I am assuming from your rancher comment you are not looking for a 50cc saw. I don't cut lot of hardwood but I just muffler modded my 361 and put it in a piece of 24" dead maple and it did suprisingly well with a 20" bar. The 372xp is comparable to the 056 as far as power goes (056/5.6hp-372/5.3hp) and about 7 pounds lighter assuming acres site states specs correctly. The 372 would probably be more of a replacement for the 056 rather than a compliment though (just guessing because I've never run an 056.)

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...fb6834cf3438c53088256ba2004982af?OpenDocument

That is a great site...i didn't know what my displacement was before (93cc assuming a magnum is the same as a magnum II), so now I have something to compare to.

You're right about looking for compliment rather than a replacement...I don't know if I need a 50 or 60 cc saw, but from the reponses so far I have a good list of saws to try!

conventional wisdom says if you can only have one saw. go with a 59cc class saw like MS361/360. if your budget allows more than one saw, best to skip 59cc say altogether.

I do agree, the problem is that everyone starts here (as I did with the 361) thinking that they only want one saw and get that more or les 60 cc saw as you described. Then they get hooked and start piling them up anyway but man it sure is fun!!!

056 or magnum

Well if your saw is the magnum then it is probably a litte more saw as I used the 056 av so a 372 might be closer to what you are looking for. However for the same type of work you were speaking of doing with a smaller saw I use my 361 75% of the time.

too many saws to list....

Yes, but I would narrow the choise down to the MS361 and 372xp.

The difference in weight and handling in the woods are larger than the specs tell you - if the capasity difference is worth it is up to you.....

Just get a longer bar for the 056 then you don't have to bend over, just swing it like a weed eater (just don't forget your chaps).

If you like the size/weight of the rancher then it has to be a MS361 or 357XP if your going new, If not how about a 036/MS360 or a Husky 262XP

Back