Looking for a thread - Dolmar/Makita cylinder upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eichen323

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've been searching for the past hour and can't seem to find a thread that, if i remember correctly, had step by step instructions on how to upgrade the 6400/6401 to the big bore. I just ordered the OEM 79cc kit for one of mine. I think I'm fairly capable of handling it but that thread would really help.

Thanks!

Sorry, I don't know the thread anymore and it didn't really help me much. It really is very easy to swap piston/cylinders. took me a little over a hour since one of the AV springs was being difficult. It's pretty straight forward and self apparent.

These instructions are not for a Makita/Dolmar but you will get the job done by following them.

I think they came from Bailey's and the instructions are for a Husky or Stihl?

Thanks Guys!

I'm sure that I'm capable, I've just never done it before.
If I run into any snags I'll just come back here;)

I just used a big Zip Tie or Tie Wrap to compress the ring instead of buying the ring compressor.

The ring slipped right in and the tie fell around the rod and I cut the tie away with pliers.

The ring slipped right in and the tie fell around the rod and I cut the tie away with pliers.[/QUOTE]

Does the carburator need to be adjusted after the swap?
I just ordered the 6421 and the big bore kit from Baileys

Does the carburator need to be adjusted after the swap?
I just ordered the 6421 and the big bore kit from Baileys

Most likely. You will need to remove the limiters to do so.[/QUOTE]

IIRC my jets were pretty much identical from the 64 to 79cc cylinders, there isn't much in it.

Back