looking for advice on a log splitter...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FuzzyOne said
Troy Builts current line with the half beam cannot compare to a TSC or Northern for price or quality.

This is a photo of the current Troy-Bilt 33 Ton.
Notice the full beam........

As for your quality statement, this Troy-Bilt blows away those others on quality.

You don't know what you are talking about.
Once again someone is lumping together products under the MTD name that don't belong there.

geezuz...you wash and wax that thing every sunday? it looks brand new.

:biggrinbounce2: 3-4 cords a year plus whatever friends split. It sits under a tarp with a fresh coat of oil over the whole thing. I take care of my things, but they don't get used like the rest of you guys. :D

As for the 8hp Troy Built, I've seen one in person. Definitely a nice machine. They can be special ordered at the big box stoores. But when you compare price, I'd go fot the TSC. Hey, I'm not knocking them, remember, I'm a happy MTD owner. I'm also "just a homeowner" though...

:biggrinbounce2: 3-4 cords a year plus whatever friends split. It sits under a tarp with a fresh coat of oil over the whole thing. I take care of my things, but they don't get used like the rest of you guys. :D

As for the 8hp Troy Built, I've seen one in person. Definitely a nice machine. They can be special ordered at the big box stoores. But when you compare price, I'd go fot the TSC. Hey, I'm not knocking them, remember, I'm a happy MTD owner. I'm also "just a homeowner" though...

well, i'm impressed that it still looks good after 8 years.

I don't know about the Northern.

The Iron and Oak is made by the same company that makes the Brave brand. I've had the Brave 26 ton unit for a bit over 3 years, probably split 5-7 cord a year myself with it and lend it to countless neighbors/friends. I think I paid around $1200 for it.

I won't go near Troy-Bilt but it has nothing to do with quality. They are owned by MTD, who bought the brand out of bankruptcy. I owned a Troy-Bilt Lawn Vacuum that I had a problem with and MTD refused to honor the warranty. Not a company I want to do business with, thank you. Even if its getting harder not to all the time.

I split about 100 cords with a Troy-Bilt 33 ton splitter. The Honda 8hp motor was excellent. The hydraulics and beam were good although the directional switch failed at about 100c, a $230 part. The rest of it - the little cheesy tail lights, the wheels, the fenders etc - are suitable for casual homeowner use only. If you drop every 100th piece of wood, the tail lights will soon be toast.

Check out the Splitfire product. Well worth your while. Comes with a 4-way wedge and splits on both sides of a cycle. It quarters two logs per cycle.

I have one. Two operators and a kid running the leaver can't keep up with the machine.

Pete

splitfire.gif

sounds dangerous! having someone operate hydraulic controls, when your fingers are near crush zones.

I like operating my own hydraulic controls. keeps my fingers safe!

I have one. Two operators and a kid running the leaver can't keep up with the machine.

Back