looking for ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmaster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
have most of my splitter built, i want to put a swiveling over head crane on it"
" like a engine lift" i was planning on using parts of a truck axle, peice of axle tube and both beatrings to build the swivel but both my free axle deals fell thru any one have another idea for making the swivel? thought about a pipe in a pipe but no sure how easy it will turn

I have no experience at this sort of thing, but I'd check local junk/salvage yards. If you can't find one for free, you could probably find one for next to nothing. I wouldn't give up on the axle.

have most of my splitter built, i want to put a swiveling over head crane on it"
" like a engine lift" i was planning on using parts of a truck axle, peice of axle tube and both beatrings to build the swivel but both my free axle deals fell thru any one have another idea for making the swivel? thought about a pipe in a pipe but no sure how easy it will turn

I do like welding and building stuff from steel and scrap, BUT...would it be easier to just noodle the rounds and save all the heavy lifting...? I have asked myself this more than once here.

Other than that, keep digging for an axle, perhaps a Ford 9" and saw the thing in half and stand it on end.... :cheers:

my brain is kinda stuck on the axle idea, cant come up with another idea, wondering if the axle idea is the best or only way to go

Easiest way would be to get a trailer stub axel and matching hub, these are pretty cheap new, failing that, buy a swivel crane ready to go, pretty cheap too.

I have been toying with putting a lift on my splitter too. Mine splitter is sitting on a 1/2 ton truck axil, so it has plenty of width for stability.

I have been tossing around the idea of either putting a log lift on it, or a crane type hoist with a electric winch.

For the crane I was thinking of a 3 3/4" pipe inside of a 4".

But for now noodling down the big pieces is working fine for me.

I just installed a crane on my wood splitter last winter. It is a old crane off a tire service truck. It has a three inch solid shaft that goes into a pipe and has thrust bearing that sits between the crane arm and base. It works great. You could easily make a set up like that for your turn table. You can get a thrust bearing at a bearing wholesaler. I put a new one in the crane before I installed it.

I think something like this would work out well for you.
I believe most napa auto parts stores can get these for you too.

pickup-truck-crane.jpg

More examples here
http://www.123lift.com/truck-crane.html

Last edited:
I have something similar to what CTSAWTECH posted,but mine is mounted in concrete, next to the splitter. I put a 110v crane from Harbor Freight on it, and use a set of log tongs from Northern tool to lift the rounds over the splitter.

How long does it take you to split your wood?? I like your swing arm idea, but I'm thinking to myself by the time you screw you eyelet in and hoist the log up and over to the splitter you could have just picked it up and put it on there a couple times over. maybe that picture you have of the peice being lifted over to the splitter is a poor example. The one on the ground directly underneath is a better example but I guess.. Looks like guy running the Splitter is even sitting down it takes so long.. maybe some logs tongs would work better!?

Last edited:

I'm thinking a wheel bearing would work. I'm talking about a complete sealed unit off the front of a newerish 4x4. Go to a junk yard and tell them what you want to build they'll hook you up with something.

I cut wood next to another member of this site last year.He had put a small crane on his splitter he built.I think it was just pipe inside pipe with a small hydrolic cylinder and a second control valve.To lift it he used a chain and a set of log tongs. He was cutting wood and his wife who looked about 90# wringing wet was splitting 24+'' rounds of wood just as fast as the splitter would work It is the best set up I have seen yet.His handle is scotts toys I beleive .I have no pics as I just went out to cut wood and happened to be cutting on his cousins place and we just happened to show up the same day.:chainsaw:

I was so close to buying my TW-5 without the lift. Fortunately, a good salesman and owner talked me into it. I did get a 6-way wedge that I could live without though.

thanks for the replies ,
ive been debating back and forth about the log lift, may not get used much, but may save me throwing my back out.

i think the standard log lift that comes off side of beam to the ground has some dissadvantages,
in the way
always will end up on the wrong side of the pile

definatly going to go over head swivel crane
easiest way will probably be to get a stub axle and hub

ill post some pics when i figure out how to post em

I added onto the spliter last fall about like what shil-in ky is talking about.
pipe in a pipe extra valve and cyl. works very good and I do not have to
grunt those chunks up by my self as my help are all off to school awy from
home this year.Originally built last fall because of health issues and wasn't
sure if I could bend over to pick up.

I have something similar to what CTSAWTECH posted,but mine is mounted in concrete, next to the splitter. I put a 110v crane from Harbor Freight on it, and use a set of log tongs from Northern tool to lift the rounds over the splitter.
This.

I put one of them on the front of my trailer(with a 12vdc winch) I can load them right on the splitter from the trailer...but IF I get a call to pick up more wood before I have split the last load then it's no good.

Ideally I would keep the one on the trailer and have one in the splitting area.

How long does it take you to split your wood?? I like your swing arm idea, but I'm thinking to myself by the time you screw you eyelet in and hoist the log up and over to the splitter you could have just picked it up and put it on there a couple times over. maybe that picture you have of the peice being lifted over to the splitter is a poor example. The one on the ground directly underneath is a better example but I guess.. Looks like guy running the Splitter is even sitting down it takes so long.. maybe some logs tongs would work better!?

I just use it on the big pices. I am saving fir a set of tongs. Thats just how I have to do it for now. I usally cut & split by myself so the crane comes in handy. my dad runs the splitter when he helps out bad hips so he sits down.

I went hydraulic because it would move faster {maybe to fast at times}
needs a restricting plug so you don't whack yourself.With a set of tongs
you can do it quick and easier

Latest posts

Back