Looking for input on chain sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rygar

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Have been using my Stihl field kit and local power shop for sharpening.
have a MS 251, 18" with .325 chain

I find that i can't get my chain as sharp as when its professionally sharpened. have never gotten close to the sharpness of a new chain.

what is the best tool to get a chain to as close to new as possible?

Lots of ways to sharpen: file, file with guide, bench grinder, rotary tool, etc. None of these tools do it by themselves. You have to know what you want your cutters to look like first, then use the tool(s) you choose to get there.

If you want your chain to work like new-out-of-the-box chain, take a piece of new chain and look at it closely under a magnifying glass, then compare it to your chain. Pay special attention to the cutting edges on the top and side of each cutter.

Philbert

I'm assuming that was a typo and you meant to say "can't get my chain as..... .......
Or if it's not it could be because the rakers need to be lowered.
Go..and read everything you can learn about saw chain and then I'll teach you the rest... Tell us what you know instead of us playing guessing games for the next three days..
We can always help those that help themselves. I'd be out of business a long time ago if I could only sharpen as well as " Factory dull" lay it all out, more info my god. You do the work, show you're keen and the help will help.

I'm assuming that was a typo and you meant to say "can't get my chain as..... .......
Or if it's not it could be because the rakers need to be lowered.
Go..and read everything you can lean about saw chain and then I'll teach you the rest... Tell us what you know instead of us playing guessing games for the next three days..
We can always help those that help themselves. I'd be out of business a long time ago if I could only sharpen as well as " Factory dull" lay it all out, more info my god. You do the work, show your keen and the help will help.

Prick!!! :p

yep, clean and clear. gonna take a few days off here now. talked to buddy and it seems i'll get in on the next contract. they're just cleaning up a few right now.

yep, clean and clear. gonna take a few days off here now. talked to buddy and it seems i'll get in on the next contract. they're just cleaning up a few right now.
Thats great news. Still working here but looks like I have a Nov 1 start up North. Drier and more money for winter anyway.

One option is a granberg file-n-joint they are around $35 and work really well once you learn how to use it. Takes a little time but I get really good results.

One option is a granberg file-n-joint they are around $35 and work really well once you learn how to use it. Takes a little time but I get really good results.
Ditto,that thing is great!Once you learn to use it,sharpening is a breeze.

Husky filing jig work very good if you have trouble doin it free hand. And they are cheap.

i find they make a chain cut like ****. they don't allow a 7/32 file low enough into the gullet. they do ok with a 13/64 file. i do agree that a guy who is learning should start with a husky jig at the very least though.

i find they make a chain cut like ****. they don't allow a 7/32 file low enough into the gullet. they do ok with a 3/16 file. i do agree that a guy who is learning should start with a husky jig at the very least though.
I didn't use one often, but when I did the chains cut fine. I've been freehand filing too long to use a jig. And now have a grinder for really ****ed up chains.

Back