Looking for lil' help with IEL big twin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crane

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My father called today......seems a family friend dropped a package off for me.

attachment.php

A few years ago(before CAD), Dad and I were talking about an old beach tree we felled when I was young(10 or 11- I'm 38 now), we used this old IEL, we had borrowed from my godfather. His father had bought it new. Well Dad had wondered what had happened to the old saw and asked my godfather. As it happens, he had given it away a few months before. Lost forever....or so I thought. My godfather's sister knew I collected saws and set about trying to get the old IEL back. Today, they dropped it off. Seems the guy who picked it up, didn't really want it and took it only cause it was free!!
So, long story short, it's back in the family. Now, the saw sits with my father in southern Ontario, and I'm out here in southern Alberta. with the 41" bar, the saw weighs 70lbs+. Dad wants to get the saw running again. So we're doing a father/son project via the internet.
Was wondering if anyone could help out with an IPL for this saw? Manuals or tips would be appreciated. Dad's not great with computers, but mechanically inclined, so he is taking pics and Mum is downloading and sending them to me on e-mail. I'm talking him thru the basic checks over the phone. Trust me, he's more ecstatic about the saw than I am, and I'm over the moon.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The saw is in great shape. Little sticky and dirty with age, but should not pose to much of a headache to get running. The fuel tank is gummed up good, that was the first project to get squared away.
I believe this saw to be a PD Super Twin, thanks to Acres site. Any suggestions or help would be welcomed.

Drew

What a Super find, that saw looks to be in really nice shape. A good through cleaning will make a big difference. Check all the fuel related lines and carb, clean out the fuel tank and if you have spark it will likely run.

Pioneerguy600

Cut the WOODSMAN RE:IEL BEAST

Listen bro, am in ontario, anything i can do to help just say the word~

Sweet saw man, real sweet, i would be over the moon too, had i scored a machine like that!
Keep us posted as to what happens, what she cuts etc. any leads you have on another~best bet is to get another as soon as possible, find out if anyone else has one etc.

:chainsawguy::chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

What a Super find, that saw looks to be in really nice shape. A good through cleaning will make a big difference. Check all the fuel related lines and carb, clean out the fuel tank and if you have spark it will likely run.

Pioneerguy600

Do you know how hard it is to rein in my Dad from 2000miles away!!! LOL
I've told him, first things first- pull the mufflers and lets see the piston's. Check for carbon deposits BEFORE he starts pulling it over. The saw was running about 5 years ago, so there is hope.
I'll post pics as they come to me

Drew

Do you know how hard it is to rein in my Dad from 2000miles away!!! LOL
I've told him, first things first- pull the mufflers and lets see the piston's. Check for carbon deposits BEFORE he starts pulling it over. The saw was running about 5 years ago, so there is hope.
I'll post pics as they come to me

Drew

Hear ya,..with the vintage saws like that I pull them down to the base and clean everything real good, it tells me what I got, what if anything that needs replacing and the cleanup prevents a lot of damage when the saw starts up.

Pioneerguy600

Now I've told Dad the people on AS are very discerning and won't stand for blurry pics. He's promised to take better pictures and document everything. He's really excited about this saw. He ran it about 20years ago. I remember that you could watch the chain go round when it was in the cut. Dad and Mum would carry the engine, and I'd tag along behind carrying the helper handle. That old beach tree was the biggest my Dad ever felled, 46" at the base. Gave us a lot of wood.

Hello Drew

WOW.That's a good old IEL saw your Dad has there.Sure does look like it's from times when things were made to last.Drew,if you check my sig at the bottom of my posts you will get a link to a bunch of Pioneer information IPL's and that sort of stuff.A few of us on here made a contribution and Chris in Manitoba put it up on the web.I would email the manual but I see our good friend Mark has filled your request.I am pretty sure the Twin is in the latter mentioned sig.
Lawrence

Here's an update

Dad has been busy cleaning up the saw. Here's a few more pics:

attachment.php

Dad picked up this table from a pathologists office. Works well for this project, and is 100% stainless steel. Not bad for a free cart on wheels.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Found the saw had to tunrover, even with the plugs removed. Dad said he found mice had packed the back of the flywheel with insulation. It took him quite a while to pick it all out. Now it pulls over excellent. I advised him to tacle the saw with some WD-40 and a stiff brush. Nothing too hard as we needed to preserve the decals.

Here's the result

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think it turned out great. I asked him how he got the cylinder fins so clean--- Manicure nail files----I didn't inquire any further:monkey:

He has the fuel tank on the bench, partially full of fuel with some hardware in the bottom. Giving it a shake every one in a while. Hopefully the tank will clean up a bit.
Now for the question:
according to the manual I have, the gear box should be "filled to the crankshaft with good grade gear grease such as Ludriplate." Is this old term slang for 90W oil? There is a small amount of original "oil", left in the bottom of the gearbox. I can't see how you would fill it with grease. The instructions go on to explain that you need to add it every few weeks to make up for leakage. That doesn't make sense it it were grease. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Drew,..that saw is in really good shape, it`s not been in any heavy dampness, hence no white fuzz. Careful cleaning it up, varsol is best for cleaning of petroleum deposits like oil and sawdust and it won`t hurt the paint that is left. That saw would look awesome with a paintjob.
Pioneerguy600

Another question. why are all the early IEL's different colours? I've seen yellow, red, and this mauve shade. Is it model specific, or country specific? IEL's were produced in Canada and the U.S., does that have anything to do with the colour scheme?

Latest posts

Back