Looking for lil' help with IEL big twin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drew,..that saw is in really good shape, it`s not been in any heavy dampness, hence no white fuzz. Careful cleaning it up, varsol is best for cleaning of petroleum deposits like oil and sawdust and it won`t hurt the paint that is left. That saw would look awesome with a paintjob.
Pioneerguy600

Varsol was my first choice, but Dad does not have a tank, but he had access to unlimted supplies of WD-40. He went with that and it looks like it turned out.
With all your knowledge Jerry, can you shed any light on the paint colour schemes of these old IEL's?
A repaint is out of the question for now. Dad wants to leave it all original. He's working on getting a picture of the original owner(my godfather's father) with the saw back in the 1950's. He has even managed to track down the store where the saw was purchased, although it is no longer there.

Drew

Drew,

I thought the saw looked great even before the clean-up. You dad does good work! Looks great. This saw is a real keeper and a great candidate for a full paint restoration. Even without paint I think it's great. I've shown pictures of a completely restored twin to my wife. The reaction I got made me think I could convince her put one on our fireplace mantle!! I'm still looking for one!

Hello Drew

I noticed you had made a phone call to my place yesterday,Sorry I did not answer as I was quite busy.I will call you when I can devote time to our conversation and not be preoccupied by other things.

Now Drew that saw looks fantastic!Is your Dad going to become an AS member?
Someone was asking about gear oil for one of the older Pioneer gear drives and I could not find what brand they used.I could go through some more of my printed material and let you know if i come up with anything.Can't see how it would be grease though.If you take a look at my signature it shows a link to the mediafire site that a few of us AS members contributed to think I may have posted that twin on there if not i can email it too you if you need it. PM me and let me Know
Lawrence

Varsol was my first choice, but Dad does not have a tank, but he had access to unlimted supplies of WD-40. He went with that and it looks like it turned out.
With all your knowledge Jerry, can you shed any light on the paint colour schemes of these old IEL's?
A repaint is out of the question for now. Dad wants to leave it all original. He's working on getting a picture of the original owner(my godfather's father) with the saw back in the 1950's. He has even managed to track down the store where the saw was purchased, although it is no longer there.

Drew

Flat WD40 is good cleaning agent if you can get it cheaply enough, I have gotten it in 45 gal drums for free and use it quite liberally.
The paint schemes from IEL were not always standard, they used a lot of different shades of the same color during different production runs, guess it did not matter too much to them back then if they all looked just the same. You will see some parts on say a red saw that were first painted say yellow, then the red applied over that yellow. I have parts here that have 3-4 different layers, different colors of paint that was applied at the factory. On some of the saws that parts will interchange they just repainted them to match whatever saw they were building at the time.When it came to paint there seems there were no standard colors even between the same model saw. There could also be differences between the saws made in Vancouver and the ones in the US.
Pioneerguy600

Saw looks great!

On the subject of the Lubriplate, I was talking to the guys at NAPA and they told me the model suggested in my owners manual for the 7-55 Mac was NLA. But a small engine repair man suggested some kind of red grease in a tube. He said thats what he uses in the gear boxes of hedge trimmers. :dunno:

Saw looks great!

On the subject of the Lubriplate, I was talking to the guys at NAPA and they told me the model suggested in my owners manual for the 7-55 Mac was NLA. But a small engine repair man suggested some kind of red grease in a tube. He said thats what he uses in the gear boxes of hedge trimmers. :dunno:

I know the grease your talking about for the hedge trimmer, but I have half a sump to fill. I'm just not sure that "grease", is what they actually ment. 90w gear oil seems like it would fit the bill, just like in the old Homelite gear drives. The sump on the IEL has the helical gear in it. Seems to me that grease would get pushed to the side with centrifical force, and end up useless as a gear lubricant.

Thats what I was thinking on the transmission for the Mac too.

I figured 90W would have been best, like you said. But I never got around to asking anybody on here about it... Cause the saw is still sitting there waiting its turn

Update.....

Well Dad is off on holiday, but not before he dropped the carb in the post for me to rebuild.
Here's what I got:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's what I managed to get done with it. I noticed a plastic elbow had been added to the carb. As I don't think this was OEM circa 1951, and there ain't no room for plastic on this monster, I traded it out for a brass elbow. The old gasket was in good shape, but I cut trimmed and installed a new one to be safe. A little polish and elbow grease and vola:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Dad said that the spark is crisp and blue. He had a mechanic friend stop by and give it a look over. everything seems to be in ship shape. I could not convince him to pressure/vac test it, but what can I do?????, it's his baby and I'm 1500miles away. Fingers crossed. Apparntly there is a growing army of people who want to be there on the day it is fired up. Dad has talked to a local saw shop he has delt with for years, and they will proudly display it for a bit with the picture Dad has supplied of the original owner. A lot of the customers will have known him(small town grapevine).
I'll post as news comes to me. A video of the start up and test log are already confirmed.

Drew

P.S. Thanks to all who have contributed and offered advice.

So, does it run yet? :monkey:

That saw has my interest up very much. Seeing how smooth the Mercury DA-211 twin cylinder runs, I wonder how they compare.

Care to through up some pictures and videos when it is done? The 2-man thread could use that in there too.

Keep up the good work! :cheers:

thats an awsome saw looks good. now the suspense is killing me waiting for pics and vids of that beast firing up and in the cut. Nice to see some old history revived

Drew,..how`s the Super coming along? I just reread the whole thread and realized I missed one of your questions completely, just too excited the first time around I guess. The term Lubriplate that is used for the gear oil in the geardrive is a company name, they made all sorts of lubricants. The best gear oil for them today is Hypoid gear oil, it is a lot better quality oil than old SAE 90. The old gear drives leaked a little oil when running so they constantly needed topping up. I run Hypoid in all my geardrives and it provides the same viscosity as 90 but has much improved anti wear and corrosion resistance . Should be easy to find at any NAPA or motorcycle shops.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Drew,..how`s the Super coming along? I just reread the whole thread and realised I missed one of your questions completely, just too excited the first time around I guess. The term Lubriplate that is used for the gear oil in the geardrive is a company name, they made all sorts of lubricants. The best gear oil for them today is Hypoid gear oil, it is a lot better quality oil than old SAE 90. The old gear drives leaked a little oil when running so they constantly needed topping up. I run Hypoid in all my geardrives and it provides the same viscosity as 90 but has much improved anti wear and corrosion resistance . Should be easy to find at any NAPA or motorcycle shops.
Pioneerguy600

thanks for that info Jerry. I'll look into it today at work. That's good info to have.

So, does it run yet? :monkey:

That saw has my interest up very much. Seeing how smooth the Mercury DA-211 twin cylinder runs, I wonder how they compare.

Care to through up some pictures and videos when it is done? The 2-man thread could use that in there too.

Keep up the good work! :cheers:

I have left explicit instructions with Dad, that we need a video of this on start up and in the test cut. Nothing shaky or grainy!!! As I will not be present, I'm in the boat with the rest of you, but know I'm rowing for us all.lol
The carb is the only interaction I've got with this saw, other than helping out over the phone. I'm real anxious to hear it too.

turn up the volume :)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JhuNOAsAxXI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JhuNOAsAxXI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks for posting the vid, must have been running scratcher chain as the operators seemed to be pushing hard on it, no self feed happening there.
Pioneerguy600

Cant tell what he's running but it does look dull. It looks like it came with the chipper chain from the brochure.

I believe the "51" is also the year it was made.

Here's a little info on the 51's

pioneertwin.jpg

iela.jpg

ielc.jpg

ield.jpg

If they were running chipper chain then it must have been dull as ole heck or filed back without the rakers being lowered. I ran that chain on old Pioneers and it could be made to self feed and cut really well.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back