Looking for videos of how to fall a tree (moved from Homeowner forum)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can someone point me to Good You-Tube Viedos that show how to safely drop a Big tree?

I have two pines that are 26" and 28" diameter at 3' off the ground. Both are right at 60' tall.
Both are most likely going to have to come down in order to make room for a new overhead power line that is to be built later. Both are weighted to one side and will have to be droped at about a 45 degree angle to the way they are weighted. If cut to the way they are weighted they will hang up.

Have seen all kinds of viedos of "what not to do"!!!
All of the good viedos are only cutting smaller 12" or so trees.

Thanks
David

The same techniques apply as gravity is gravity no matter the size. If you are nervous in any way it may be well worth the cost of a professional to just put the tree on the ground and then you handle the clean up. Im assuming there is nothing in the way where you want them down.

First question that pops into my mind are comfortable doing a tree this big. How big of saw do you own? This size tree will need wedges and a long bar. I you have any doubt about what to do ,call a pro. There may be a AS member close by that has the skill to drop them.

Stihl Modified 039 vs Modified MS361 Directional Felling Trees - YouTube
The face used in the video is called the Humbolt, it is the most common logging face cut in the PNW. You go in about 20 percent of the tree,takes a bit of practice to get perfect. The common is similar only difference is the sloping cut comes from the top.
Huge 118 Ft Tree Cutting Lake Almanor Style 7/8/11 - YouTube

If decide to do this have several people around in case of trouble. Every one should wearing a hard hat,especially the saw operator,stuff can rain down and kill maim you with no warning all. Were your PPE that way you can make sure you can go home to family.

Videos

[video=youtube;JdWpAvaMKN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWpAvaMKN0[/video]

[video=youtube;0M5r2xGWSPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M5r2xGWSPo[/video]

:)

If you're lookin' for you tube videos on how to fall a tree... you need to probably call in a professional.

However... I am going to rename your thread and put it in the Forestry and Logging forum. Lots of good cats there that know their stuff.

Gary

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it's bad juju to have your first major falling experience be something that requires wedging against a lean. You need either hands-on instruction, professional assistance, or both. The situation you describe is not advised for the inexperienced.

Please be aware that anyone can post a video on You Tube or provide advice on this forum. Just because it is posted on either site does not mean that the information is accurate or should be followed. Your best advice is to seek out a local professional where you can verify their knowledge and experience. You only have one life and do not risk it performing work you are not trained in and prepared to handle if something goes wrong.

I agree with Gary, if you are here asking questions, thats a good thing, but I don't think that you should just watch a video and read a little and then go cut trees of that size, as things can go quite bad, especially if you already know they need to go somewhere, where they don't want to go.

My opinion,

Sam

Where in Alabama are you?Even when falling a staight tree or weighted in direction of fall I use a line (1/4" cable) when falling in close proximity to stuctures or powerlines,wind can be very unpredictable,don't over tension as this could cause barberchair.only other option is climbing and topping

If there is anything nearby that these trees can fall on and damage such as a house, fence, etc., then I would get a pro who has the proper equipment and training to do this.

FYI - They make DARN sure it will fall the direction they want. Around here they use a bucket truck to trim the top branches so the tree is weighted to fall the proper direction. Then also tie a line from up high to something like the winch on a truck, THEN they fall the tree.

If the tree can't safely fall any direction, then they take it down a branch at a time and a section at a time - connecting ropes and lowering branches straight down.

The use of a bucket truck is very safe to trim branches because the tree trimmer can be above the falling branch.

You can get them to just fall the tree, then you can cut it up and remove it. That should not be very expensive.

Yea the site is back up.:msp_tongue:

Thanks for the Replies.

I guess what I need to ask is...
How far can a "weighted to one side" tree be redirected using a rope and wedges.

Thanks
David

If by "weighted to one side" is talking about a leaner then this may help on figuring tree segments, esp the refernce books mentioned by 2dogs.
Though can't replace experience, by reading or yourtube stuff, imho.

fwiw

The trees dont lean much if at all.
They grow in a pine thicket right on the side of a woods road.
Almost every limb on both trees are on the side closest to the woods road.
It was open on that side, the limbs got much more sun and grew much better.
There are almost no limbs on the other side until the very top of the trees.

They are weighted to one side by these limbs.

Learned to count segments some time back... I just dont know if I trust them yet.

Never posted a pix. Will have to give that a try.

Thanks
David

Well, This has become a non-issue.
The owner decided that the $1500.00 the power company was asking was not to much to have the limbs trimmmed off the pines. He gits to keep his trees and have power to his cabin.
This was the best outcome all the way around.

I did find some videos on you-tube.
Check out "murphy4trees". This guy is good.

Thanks
David

Latest posts

Back