Looking into a PNW trip... ideas??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We know how to hang out the welcome mat

Andy - With all of the AS visitors you've had lately you need to start making up shirts or hats for them to take home lol. Maybe someone can come up with a good slogan to put on em.

Something like...

RED NECK PNW'ner
GUT SHOOT 'em at the BORDER

or...

Live in Illinios?
FISH in Illinios

:greenchainsaw:

Go see Lakeside, worth the trip, beer on his deck would be a treat. He drinks good beer!!!! Has good tours.
Just maybe he will let you see is 'Stihl stash' LOL
Just got back from Seattle.
Did the space needle, monorail and Pike Market also a tour of the underground tunnels.
Did a lot of walking around was nice.
Seattle has ' ambassadors' to help you out, what a treat that is.
If you want to see Canadians go to Costco!!!! We like the USA
Bob

They must know what we have around here

Everybody is directing the visitors to either BC or Oregon. Lets keep the good stuff for us natives!

A neat side trip, if you get down towards Tacoma (south of Seattle, less attitude) Head out to Point Defiance park, they have an area called camp six. It is filled with old logging equipment. Old as in steam donkeys, massive rigging cables, neat stuff to wander through. If you make it on a day they are closed, all the better. Head in the back way (PM me) and you can spend as much time as you want staring at the good stuff. I think it is free when it is open, run by volunteers.

Logging Shows in PNW

If you're coming in August you need to go to the Morton Show. It has the highest pay out around and draws all of the top lumberjacks in the world. This year it is Aug 9 and 10. If you're coming in July there is the GoFourth Days in Longview WA or The Clatskanie Heritage Days Logging Show, both on the 4th of July.

If you're coming in August you need to go to the Morton Show. It has the highest pay out around and draws all of the top lumberjacks in the world. This year it is Aug 9 and 10. If you're coming in July there is the GoFourth Days in Longview WA or The Clatskanie Heritage Days Logging Show, both on the 4th of July.

I recommend the lawnmower races if you are in the area. If the driver is hunched over, sometimes there's some good male cleavage to look at.
The best microbrew beer is down the coast, in Newport, Oregon. The Rogue Brewery which is NOT the Rogue Brew Pub. I stocked up prior to moving to Wisconsin and rationed that beer carefully. I shared just a little with a select group of cheeseheads and they pronounced it the best beer ever. It was the Hazelnut Brown Ale.

You want to go to the PNW to see men logging???:dizzy: Man, you got it bad. Not sure your GF would be up to that. But then again, maybe you'll learn what you need to about her before things get serious.

Anyway, things to do:
Snoqualmie Falls is utterly awesome.
Pike Street Fish Market is fun.
Side trip to Victoria, including Chinatown.
Climb Mt. Rainier (ok, maybe not. I tried once but got blown off by a storm).
No brewery recommendations (I don't drink).
San Juan Islands (to see killer whales).

I live just south of ferndal, about 10min. Bellingham, WA
Depending on how far you want to drive there is a lot to see.
I suggest Birch Bay for a sunset.
Maybe visit Vancouver BC, thats always fun and sketchy in some parts hehe.

If you are looking for tree's and logging area's go out the Mt. Baker Hwy (542)
and keep driving on that same road. There are tons of logging areas off of this Hwy and it will take you straight to Mt. Baker.
On the way you can stop by the Nooksack River. If you are going to be here during the summer I highly suggest driving to Acme, buying an innertube and floating down the Nooksack river with some beer and soaking in the rays.
Best summer relaxation!

You will have to check out Bellingham since you are so close. If you are in to Mt. Biking I can show you the places to ride. There are lots!

Check out this website http://whatcom.kulshan.com/

Brewery Recommendatinons:
Bellingham - Boundary Bay
Seattle - Elysian Brewing Company

Last edited:
If you are really into beer and have not had the pleasure of several NW beers I really suggest you try these:

Abbey - New Belgium Brewing Company
The Immortal - Elysian Brewing Company
Scotch - Boundary Bay Brewing Company
Inversion - Deschutes Brewery
Black Bute Porter - Deschutes Brewery
Mack & Jacks
Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Brewery
Hefeweizen - Pyramid Brewery

And so many more! you won't be disapointed.

####'s Brewery in Centrailia.

I've got a 6-pack of ####'s Danger Ale. ####'s makes the best barley wine ale imho.

Too bad barley wine is unavailable from their brewery for awhile! I actually contacted the brewery when I went to buy a 6-pack after cutting wood and saw that it wasn't on the shelf. I had to settle for Pike Kilt-Lifter.

If you go to Bellingham definitely check out Boundary Bay Brewery. There is a history of logging museum in Whatcom County but is closed to the public and only available for tours.

Maybe if enough of us AS peeps get together we can do our own tour. :)

Scotch - Boundary Bay Brewing Company
:heart: Scotch Ale.

To give you guys an idea of how popular this beer is I have to practically beg (or send my gf in) to come away with a growler of Scotch Ale. During the summer when we grill salmon or oysters I like to get a growler of Scotch Ale (for myself ;) ). The brewery would rather serve it in pints to appease the customers.

I already tried the excuse of "Well, I'll order 5 pints and then realize I have to drive and pour them into a growler and drink when I get home."

Didn't work. :(

wow..i thought i might be able to take a week off work and go up there...but i don't think i can get it all in in that amount of time!!

keep the ideas coming..and im sure there will be plenty of beer drank!!

the gf thinks logging is pretty neat (she did go to Woods for me!!) and she likes checking it out (but not as much as me)

A WEEK? lolololol

Just move...

well...that is my main focus of the trip..do some sightseeing..get away from work for a bit(once the summer gets here and we get rolling good i'll be ready for a bit of a break). I'd like to get up there and get an idea of where to live to be in logger land and maybe make some contacts to get some work lined out...

I'm still not sure how the timber cutter/work situation plays out in that area

well...that is my main focus of the trip..do some sightseeing..get away from work for a bit(once the summer gets here and we get rolling good i'll be ready for a bit of a break). I'd like to get up there and get an idea of where to live to be in logger land and maybe make some contacts to get some work lined out...

I'm still not sure how the timber cutter/work situation plays out in that area

You mean....like..........moooooooooove here? Well, in that case, there are no jobs, remember the rain rain rain rain, we're very stuck up, we have only Schmidtties for beer, it rains...

You mean....like..........moooooooooove here? Well, in that case, there are no jobs, remember the rain rain rain rain, we're very stuck up, we have only Schmidtties for beer, it rains...

wow!! I don't seem like THAT bad of a guy do I???:cry:

I think we could bump someone out to make room. You do know you ll have to get wrap handles for your saws though as a contingency. Can you do that. Regardless of brand the saws in Ax men all had wraps.:chainsaw:

yea..i could deal with the wraps..and would get them(prolly USA's from Madsens--o yes..ive looked into it) and for the type of cutting out there i could see where they could be useful(yes i just admitted it). BUT around here they are of no use for me or any other hardwood loggers that i know of

so how does the actual employment of the timber cutter work out there?

independent contractors?

work through a dispatching organization?

word of mouth?

Back