Looking into Climbing/Working Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PassionForTrees

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So far I am pursuing a STICKY sole climbing / working boot. I never knew the special sole so they say will be grippy on tree bark even in wet, so now I am on a mission after 29 yrs of many different boots my choices seem to be the Salewa's the Rapace GTX mountain trainer, Arbpro's or the Salewa's Raven, all seem to have the Mulaz sole and theirs this mountain boot from Boreal Triglav also has the Mulaz sole and theirs this Salewa Condor good reviews on but a different sole, dont think it is a grippy sole, so I thought to post on here. What do you guys think or would add to the choices. some have narrow toe, not good for me since I have wide fkn feet. Any comments or suggestions would be cool. Thanks Rich.

Personal preference and all, but I wouldn't trade my Danner Quarries with vibram sole for anything. In my experience full leather work boots last way longer than the leather/ rubber upper combos that look like ice climbing boots from 15 years ago. I also like the steel toe for chainsaw protection and kicking logs when I'm frustrated.

I'm referring to the Stihl comfort leather boots with chainsaw protection. I can't find them on the Stihl website, it looks like they have been replaced by a pair of boots Stihl call Function. Looks identical to the comfort boots, but with a different name and orange stitching instead of green. http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...twear/22136-1539/FUNCTION-chainsaw-boots.aspx I really like them for forestry work and climbing. The sole gives good grip, i can work in the snow without getting wet and they are warm. They do need some time to wear in, the chainsaw protection makes them a bit stiff, but that's also what makes them perfect for climbing. I can also recommend these from Jonsered http://www.jonsered.com/int/accesso...oots/leather-boots-with-saw-protection-20m-s/

i've always used the good old chippewas, they've been pretty good to me specially when using spikes for removals. I would also like to try something new though.

They seem to be real stiff in the midsole, so I would have to say yes but I havent done it yet! Most all of the boots I am trying should do real well with Spikes!

Been on these Phanner Zermats for a week and I cant believe their comfort!! Wow, I think I found a bad ass boot finally!! and I have wide feet, these things are comfortable! Check them out! Wish I knew about these boots years ago!

I really like my Hoffman Dri Lines for spur climbing. Pruning days I ususlly wear some running sneakers haha. This spring I will be looking into a nice climbing shoe.

The Stein Werewolf Climbing Chainsaw Boots have worked a charm for me. Been pasted down to me through a friend - Highly recommend!

I have two seasons in these http://www.arbortecforestwear.com/chainsaw-boots-scafell-green-30000.html Aside from a few spot in the rubber wearing, on rare occassion one of the lace hooks bending out but easily bending back in,
leather cuff at the top wearing and cracking but not uncomfortabley so and saw chips finding their way in they are
the best boot I have ever worn for in the tree and on the ground. I wore the logger Vibergs for many years and still love them but they just aren't as comfortable and grippy. Its liking going from all season tire to a mud and snow. Helps alot to get a strong foot/toe hold to make those difficult cuts when your stretched out and reaching.
They have worked really hard and have contributed positively to the health of my body
No sore legs, knees or the like. I can run in them. I have also worked a few multi lot tree clearing
projects without the support of any large tree moving equipment like loaders and skidders and these boots
really helped to get the job done. Running banks, jumping logs, dragging and kicking brush, climbing and spurring .
Even with the chainsaw and toe protection they are still lighter than my loggers.
I did switch boots for a short while last midsummer with a large condo pruning and mulching job
where no protection was required and found myself missing them especially the traction and cushioning.
Should mention the extra cushioning is more good than you wood expect especially when jamming your foot betwee crotches.
I never let the mud sit on these boots and touch them up every so often with spray on silicon
and as long as they are allowed to dry up over night the Canadian cold is a pleasure.
It is always better to do with out than to make do when it comes to boots. Only takes a short while in cheap boots to affect your knees or back or body.
I am very happy with these boots.

I have two seasons in these http://www.arbortecforestwear.com/chainsaw-boots-scafell-green-30000.html Aside from a few spot in the rubber wearing, on rare occassion one of the lace hooks bending out but easily bending back in,
leather cuff at the top wearing and cracking but not uncomfortabley so and saw chips finding their way in they are
the best boot I have ever worn for in the tree and on the ground. I wore the logger Vibergs for many years and still love them but they just aren't as comfortable and grippy. Its liking going from all season tire to a mud and snow. Helps alot to get a strong foot/toe hold to make those difficult cuts when your stretched out and reaching.
They have worked really hard and have contributed positively to the health of my body
No sore legs, knees or the like. I can run in them. I have also worked a few multi lot tree clearing
projects without the support of any large tree moving equipment like loaders and skidders and these boots
really helped to get the job done. Running banks, jumping logs, dragging and kicking brush, climbing and spurring .
Even with the chainsaw and toe protection they are still lighter than my loggers.
I did switch boots for a short while last midsummer with a large condo pruning and mulching job
where no protection was required and found myself missing them especially the traction and cushioning.
Should mention the extra cushioning is more good than you wood expect especially when jamming your foot betwee crotches.
I never let the mud sit on these boots and touch them up every so often with spray on silicon
and as long as they are allowed to dry up over night the Canadian cold is a pleasure.
It is always better to do with out than to make do when it comes to boots. Only takes a short while in cheap boots to affect your knees or back or body.
I am very happy with these boots.
Hey awesome post on those Boots. This is exactly how I feel of the Phanner Zermats. An awesome Boot so far! Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back