looking to buy a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you'll want a Husqvarna.

if you want a toy,grab a Stihl.

I heard Toys-R-Us just picked up the Stihl line.

:ices_rofl: That's funny, but the sad part.... Its probably better then Lowe's!!!! Farmerhelper.... Glad you found something.. Now put that sucker to work and enjoy!!

Last edited:
you did the right thing :clap: best to avoid those polouns with orange jackets at the box stores

I actually havent bought one yet but i have decided to go with the stihl dealer near me, but i am wondering why the 290 and 310 is less expensive than the 270 and 280?

For a Stihl get the MS260. Or look for a good used 026 or 260. The saws are bullet proof and if something does break parts are very available.

For a Husky get the 346xp. Awsome saw, and just downright fun to run.

Just ran my 026 today, 18 years old and still cutting, 19 year old ford truck also still hauling out the wood. :cheers:

I actually havent bought one yet but i have decided to go with the stihl dealer near me, but i am wondering why the 290 and 310 is less expensive than the 270 and 280?

Even numbers are pro saws, 260, 440, etc. Will cost more and should last a lifetime.

Odd numbers are non-pro saws, 250, 290.

and there are semi-pro saws, but just talk to your dealer...

I absolutely love my MS290. It has been through locust, willow, countless red oak, and it doesn't really care. As long as the chain is sharp, it hasn't left me stranded.

I cut for 2 houses mine and my fathers. He has his little 174 that he runs the hell out of and I have to say that it does a fair job for what it is too, it just needs a longer bar IMO.

It's all it was meant to be, funny.

:ices_rofl: That's funny, but the sad part.... Its probably better then Lowe's!!!! Farmerhelper.... Glad you found something.. Now put that sucker to work and enjoy!!

Lowe's ain't the bad.TSC are the idiots.I agree,Stihl is smart to keep it dealer only.I buy Husky and Stihl but I buy from the dealer only.Fortunately my dealer carries both.

there is a reason.

Costs more to make which usually makes it better.the 270 is a very nice saw.If your dealer has any 361s left,you'd be insane not to grab one.

19years?

Just ran my 026 today, 18 years old and still cutting, 19 year old ford truck also still hauling out the wood. :cheers:

holy cow!

you better call Ford and tell them Quality Control must have missed one.

:greenchainsaw::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

holy cow!

you better call Ford and tell them Quality Control must have missed one.

:greenchainsaw::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Lots of rust, many parts replaced over the years, but it still starts up. The auto-locking hubs that everybody told me would break still work fine. 4-wheel high is shot, but I only need 4-wheel low in the woods.

4-wheel high is shot, but I only need 4-wheel low in the woods.

See, Ford's quality control record remains intact. Mine has 4-hi but no more 4-lo. It all evens out. :D

I'd buy a used MS360 / 361 off craigslist for $350 or so before I spent similar money on a new saw in that price range ($350ish). If I could only have one saw, that would be it.

My 024 I love for limbing and small stuff, also bought used. 260 is the closest thing to it now.

If you have a Dolmar dealer nearby, give them a try. VERY good prices for the amount of saw you get. If I do buy one more saw it would be the Dolmar 7900 as my "big" saw, but that's more a CAD related desire then an actual need.

Buy from a dealer with service.When you buy from a big box store like Lowes your on your own.You may get it home and it may not even start. Buy a Stihl and you won,t even see the box, it will be fueled ready to start cutting. Thats Stihls policy. :greenchainsaw:

I agree here, don't buy a big box store saw, you're going to be at the mercy of whoever you can find to service it. The MS290 is what I'd recommend for what you described. If you can stand it in the pocket book the MS260 is a great saw as well. If you take care of the 290 it will give you years of happy service.

(stihl country - we are neighbors and I didn't even know it....LOL!)

Check out and run both see what fits you. For an all around saw the 359 husky is hard to beat. Enough power and not so heavy as some. Depends upon what you'll be using it for you'll apreciate a lighter saw at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back