Looking to buy new saw, any suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post. Im a lil new to tree work, i used to do lawns but its not worth it any more so im starting to get into trees. Ive already 3 saws(ms 192t, 330mx4, and ms390) im not really happy with the 390 it was a gift from my wifes parents, the dealer said it was awesome. Im happy with my small saws but i need to replace the 390 or just get something bigger. price is not to much of a factor. I live down here in Florida and we get alot of big pines and oaks. so any help would be great.... im sure ill have A LOT more stupid questions in the future, like i said im new to it so be nice lol.

MS361

Okay now we got that out of the way. :D

How big are the trees you are talking about??

Why are you not happy with the 390.... not enough power??? To heavy??

More info please.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
What you need, and I'm telepathic so I know, is an MS-372xp.

Sorry, we get a lot of "What saw should I buy" posts. :)

Like Erick said, we need all the details. How big are the trees, how often will the saw be used. Price is not too much of a factor... good. It'll be a pro class saw then. :clap:

Ian

Figure out what size bar you'll need first and then figure out what size engin (cc's) you'll need for tht size bar.

Then find out who your local saw dealer is and what line (Husky, Stihl, other) they carry. You'll need to have them serviced and be able to order parts!

HC

Sorry guy im sick and kinda outa it today. I dont like the 390 cuz it doesnt seem powerful enough, its got the 20" bar and im just not impressed and i know i will be disapointed if i go with a longer bar, but need something larger than 24". weight is not much of an issue for us. Also the 390 doesnt seem like it will hold up all that well. The only dealers i know of are stihl and Echo.

I should clear something up, Im new to the tree thing ive been learning for about 8mo, a guy who works for me is teaching me, he's been doing it for a while, and knows what hes doing, but id rather talk to you guys about saws and stuff. im also fully lic & insured for it too. Just wanted to get that out there because i know alot of you guys dont think lawn guys should be doing tree work, but im learning slow and not taking any jobs i dont think we should.

THANX GUYS

I take that back theres shindowa, and husky dealers that are pretty close too. What about the echo 8000

Stick with Stihl, Husky and Dolmar.

The smallest saw I would go with in the 30" bar range would be the Dolmar 7900. Now if your going to run a 30"+ bar on the saw 100% of the time I think you'd be happier with a larger saw like the Stihl ms660 or Husky 395.:cheers:

MS460 or MS660 depending on how much larger than 24" you need to go. anything under 30, MS460... over 30.. MS660

My 2c,
Ian

Yep what Ian said. :clap:

Although I would add that if cost is not an issue as you say, I would also look at getting a MS460 and sending it out to a reputable builder and having a good woods port done.

A good modded 460 will cut with a 660 in bigger wood and will cut faster in smaller wood, and be lighter to carry as well. I know you say weight is not an issue but at the end of the day your back and arms will tend to disagree with you. :cheers:

Yep what Ian said. :clap:

Although I would add that if cost is not an issue as you say, I would also look at getting a MS460 and sending it out to a reputable builder and having a good woods port done.

A good modded 460 will cut with a 660 in bigger wood and will cut faster in smaller wood, and be lighter to carry as well. I know you say weight is not an issue but at the end of the day your back and arms will tend to disagree with you. :cheers:

+10

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mGUkjgEq7VA&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mGUkjgEq7VA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I take that back theres shindowa, and husky dealers that are pretty close too. What about the echo 8000

For the price of the Echo 8000, you might as well buy the Stihl 460. For a little less $$ you could have the Husqvarna 372xp, and both are lighter than the Echo.

Latest posts

Back