Looking to buy new saw, any suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the price of the Echo 8000, you might as well buy the Stihl 460. For a little less $$ you could have the Husqvarna 372xp, and both are lighter than the Echo.

Echo usually doesn't post the power specs, and there is a good reason for that......:censored:

Keep the 390. They're reliable and durable, would make a good back-up saw or a saw to cut your primary out of a bind if need be.

Get another Stihl so you can run the same bars and chains between the two saws. 460 if you're aiming to run 20-28", 660 if you're looking to run more bar. You can run a 660-20" quite comfortably, it just won't be as nimble or light as a smaller saw with a 20" bar, but will be capable of pretty much anything that you intentionally seek out or get stuck with compliments of weather events.

Echo usually doesn't post the power specs, and there is a good reason for that......:censored:

Is that because they lack power and generally suc:censored: . That's what I thought.........:)

Keep the 390. They're reliable and durable, would make a good back-up saw or a saw to cut your primary out of a bind if need be.

Get another Stihl so you can run the same bars and chains between the two saws. 460 if you're aiming to run 20-28", 660 if you're looking to run more bar. You can run a 660-20" quite comfortably, it just won't be as nimble or light as a smaller saw with a 20" bar, but will be capable of pretty much anything that you intentionally seek out or get stuck with compliments of weather events.

Good advice. I was gonna recommend the 7900, but interchanging bars is a nice thing to be able to do.

Yup, there you go. Need look no further, esp as regards the off brands that will be recommended...........:greenchainsaw:

Hey guys, i got offered a used ms460 today for $200, looked pretty well used, its from a guy who bought after hurricanes. started on second pull ran pretty good, it had a 32" bar on it which seemed kinda big. What do you guys think is that a decent deal or no.

Hey guys, i got offered a used ms460 today for $200, looked pretty well used, its from a guy who bought after hurricanes. started on second pull ran pretty good, it had a 32" bar on it which seemed kinda big. What do you guys think is that a decent deal or no.

I would buy it, and get a 20" for it. Some folks pay that much and more for saws that need rebuilt. A new 460 is $860+.

Probably a good price. But "hurricane" saws scare me a little. They're usually run by first-time users who know little about the care/maintenance of saws. And they get loaned out to others who know even less. I'd pull off the muffler and look for scratches/burnt areas on the piston and cylinder walls. If there are, offer him $150 and rebuild the saw to as-new mechanical condition for roughly $400 total.

well i wound up buying it... I really didnt have a great chance to get a good look at it, it was my wifes co workers aunt lol and she was leaving tomorrow to go out of town for a month. first thing i did was try to tight chain, only yo find out that that pin the slides the bar forward is missing.....
how much are one of these?

THANKS FOR HELPING A NEWBIE!!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations! Good choice. Make sure you get the dual port muffler cover, or if you want, go for it with porting and a serious muffler mod, a la Scott Wojo style. Carb must be retuned if exhaust is opened up!!

need help buy anew saw ?

ok, i can help..

keep the 390. get a stihl ms660. if u r still not happy, get a husqvarna288xp.
or get a husqvarna 395xp.Buy them now because the prices are going up...

well i wound up buying it... I really didnt have a great chance to get a good look at it, it was my wifes co workers aunt lol and she was leaving tomorrow to go out of town for a month. first thing i did was try to tight chain, only yo find out that that pin the slides the bar forward is missing.....
how much are one of these?

THANKS FOR HELPING A NEWBIE!!!!

Smart move. Few here would pass on a 660 for $200.:clap:

Latest posts

Back