Looking to replant areas of woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fruits are often eaten by carrion eaters because they smell like rotten meat. I have heard it put forward that this is the reason why ginkos have been around for the pas 160 million years.. Elmore is that cultivar (chi chi) known for producing the chi chis? You can cut those off and they will grow when you put them in soil. Many people in China make instant bonsai with the chi chis and sell them.
tom

More "Chi Chi' info

Perhaps dormant buds, lignotubers or "aerial" lignotubers. Some say some function of reproduction. Some trees, usually older Ginkgoes are said to form basil lignotubers-"Chi Chi" and with age, many may form aerial growths. Often attributed to some form of stress or damage incurred by the individual tree. Have also heard that if you gird a limb or branch with a wire, that chi chi's will form above the girding. As far as I know, the trees that I graft as 'Chi Chi' come from the Ginkgo cultivar, 'Chi Chi'. I am assuming that they exhibit these growths primarily in the aerial form. Time may tell. My small trees, that have not yet started showing Chi Chi, came from wood acquired from a 75 year old bonsai being offered by Brussell Bonsai. Their specimen was about 20" tall, full of chi chi's and they wanted $5,800.00 for it. Also received some 'Chi Chi' wood from a source in NY. I keep them separate as I know that the wood that I got from Brussell definitely came from a small tree showing aerial chichi. Often 'Chi Chi' is sold as a rooted cutting. Sometimes grafted. I have read, on the internet, that by air layering you get a plant that forms chi chi sooner. I have read before that it typically takes about ten years for a small tree to begin forming these growths. Below is some info from a man from Harvard who is considered an expert on Ginkgoes.

Peter Del Tredici
Abstract: "This study describes the origin and early development of a distinct organ of clonal regeneration in Ginkgo biloba, the basal chichi. These aggregates of suppressed shoot buds originate from superficial meristems located in the cotyledonary axils of all Ginkgo seedlings as part of their normal ontogeny. Within 6 wk of germination these buds become embedded in the cortex of the stem, and their subsequent growth and development occurs below the surface of the bark. When stimulated by some traumatic event that damages the seedling axis, one of these embedded cotyledonary buds usually grows down from the trunk to form a woody, rhizomelike basal chichi which, under appropriate conditions, is capable of generating both aerial shoots and adventitious roots. Vegetative regeneration by means of basal chichi has not only contributed to the long-term persistence of G. biloba in the forests of China, but may also have played a role in the remarkable survival of the genus since the Cretaceous."

Hey Tom, will your public garden/natural area have a collection of Ginkgoes? Or will it be restricted to natives only. You know the Ginkgo used to be native here in North America. ;)

Hey Elmore, what're the chances for viable fruit from an evidently solitary female gingko?  There's a big one behind the public library and in a conversation with my gingko-loving mom, I mentioned the mass of foul litter.  She wants me to send her some.  Assuming viability, do they require any special process?

Glen

Ginkgo Seed

glens said:
Hey Elmore, what're the chances for viable fruit from an evidently solitary female gingko?  There's a big one behind the public library and in a conversation with my gingko-loving mom, I mentioned the mass of foul litter.  She wants me to send her some.  Assuming viability, do they require any special process?

Glen
Ginkgo seed? Chances are excellent. It must have been polinated somehow or it wouldn't have fruit. Or so I think. Crack a nut...from the tree, not yours. Any meat inside? Clean the fruit off of the seeds and rinse them off. Get a flat or other shallow yet well drained container, put an inch or so of sand in the bottom, then a layer of seed. Cover with a layer of sand and then another layer of seed if you have them. Finish with a layer of sand, place in a sheltered location and moisten if needed. Most likely, you will have a full flat of Ginkgo seedlings in a few months. ;)

Elmore,
Ginkos are my favorite tree. I have been hooked ever since i heard Peter del Tredeci speak at cornell last year. The nursery that I worked at this past year in Muncie had one that was about 75 yrs old.
tom

Jeep,

Planting ornamentals isn't a bad idea, but Glen is on to something with his suggestion of planting Black Locust. This extremely versatile tree has both utility and ornamental value.

The tree is often disdained in the sanitary suburban landscape because of its thorns and its tendency to spread by suckering off the roots. But its true value far exceeds its perceived liabilities.

In the landscape, the blue-green pinnate leaves cast a pleasant filtered shade; it has beautiful showy white flowers, that as Glen said, are deliciously fragrant; and in its winter nakedness, especially at night, the sight of its gnarly branching habit is reminiscent of the Adams Family house on a stormy night. The only tree I know of that rivals it for the ghoulish "stormy night" effect is the Catalpa, especially against the backdrop of an 1840's Victorian-Gothic house.

Its utilitarian uses are many. It's adaptable to environmental extremes such as drought, air pollutants, and high light intensities. The wood is very strong and hard, with extremely high durability, yet it grows fast and dense, and its N2-fixing ability makes it ideal for colonizing degraded sites. It can be used for external purposes -- like cedar -- without toxic preservatives. And it provides excellent honey nectar.

The beautiful light to dark brown wood is used to make paneling, siding, flooring, furniture, boat building (substitute for teak), decking, vineyard or nursery props, fruit boxes, and pallets. It is also a preferred wood for pulp production. And, again as Glen notes, it can be used for firewood.

As far as worrying about its thorns -- actually they are spines (modified leaves or stipules, as opposed to thorns (modified branches, as in the Honeylocust) -- once your kids get pricked by them once, they'll quickly learn to avoid them. Hey, they're kids exploring the outdoors, you don't want 'em to live in a bubble, do you?

Consider the beautiful, often disdained, and underappreciated Black Locust. You can't go wrong.

[End of commercial] :)

Thanks for the info Chucky. I'll probably find a spot somewhere to plant a couple (I'll just dig them out of my yard), and see how they do.

CJ,

Little saplings can be ordered for very, very inexpensive. A few years ago I was amazed to find Sequoia and Coastal Redwood for a buck a piece, 6" saplings in soil tubes from Bailey's.

Even cheaper are 1 and two year-old hardwood seedlings. Think about it, if you can find various species for 60 cents a piece, heck, order 40 or 50. With a couple hundred bucks you can plant a lot of trees, and have an extensive variety. Get this party started!

Group your choices, first, based on their hardiness in your zone. From that pool, choose what you want to plant this Winter / Spring. Plant to do it again next year, with twice the number of trees, and new species. You could work in various exotics over the course of time. That should about do ya.

What a fun project. I am honestly jealous.

Thanks for the tips. I've found a few places on-line (as well as receieved a couple mail order catalogs), that sell that cheap. I've thought of doing that as well. My main thinking now is to mostly just plant a variety of trees, and enjoy what I get (and not necessarily make any money doing so).

Tree Machine said:
CJ,

Little saplings can be ordered for very, very inexpensive. A few years ago I was amazed to find Sequoia and Coastal Redwood for a buck a piece, 6" saplings in soil tubes from Bailey's.

Even cheaper are 1 and two year-old hardwood seedlings. Think about it, if you can find various species for 60 cents a piece, heck, order 40 or 50. With a couple hundred bucks you can plant a lot of trees, and have an extensive variety. Get this party started!

Group your choices, first, based on their hardiness in your zone. From that pool, choose what you want to plant this Winter / Spring. Plant to do it again next year, with twice the number of trees, and new species. You could work in various exotics over the course of time. That should about do ya.

What a fun project. I am honestly jealous.

CJ-check out woodywarehouse.com they grow their own seedlings from locally collected seed. They have a variety of different trees from shade to nut trees. Even though they are a wholesale company they do have a "once-a-year' sale open to the public. Just a another option :)

A suggestion

My advice is to decide on what species you would want incorporated into your landscape. Decide, then seek out appropriate species rather than look for bargain basement prices for what is easily available. I would rather pay a premium for a superior species than get a "deal" on a bunch of inferior species. I'll bet you can find some good deals on Ash these days.
I just checked out the woodywarehouse and figured out how they got that name. They want to give you the "Woody" :dizzy:
Check out the price on 1g Viburnum dentatum:
Viburnum dentatum - Arrowwood Viburnum - 1 gal - 3-Pack 1 Gallon 18 lbs 24 - 52" $69.96 (I can get these, br, for about $0.75 ea.)

& Bald Cypress:
Taxodium distichum - Bald Cypress - Pint Pint 3 lbs 12 - 24" $12.95

No deals here. These prices look like what would be paid in the Hamptons. Maybe when they are dumping this material they will have more reasonable prices.
"Nothin' but the best, later for the rest."

You're teasing us, Elmore. Dump the beans. Share a couple more links with us. Introduce CJ and us to some farms / grower-raisers.

My feeling is that if CJ could talk direct to the grower, arrange for CJ to go pick the trees up, mebbe with a trailer, and get <i>large</i>r trees to start. They may have trees that are out-growing their pots and would just like to get them out of the nursery.

You'll both speak a common language from a common passion. You should do fine.

Elmore, isn't there someone in Louisville? Thats just a couple hours drive from CJ's.

The nursery that I used to work at here in Muncie has the strongest trees around, cause they are grown in a field with no help whatsoever. If you want big trees Smith's Nursery is its name. The owner won't give you deals, but her trees never die of transplant shock. I know that where I used to live in central NY you could get tons of tree seedlings for next to nothing from the dept of natural resources. Does Indiana do this? Could be a cheap way to fill in an area quick.
Kill that honeysuckle
tom

Elmore-My point was that the seed stock woody uses is from Locally grown trees and therefore should survive better than some of the tree stock that we get in from who-knows-where(I really think that red clay is not a typical Indiana soil). Plus until you can check out their quality don't knock their prices. They may not have the best deals around but what I've purchased from them so far has been top notch. At least I have yet to get a tree in a pot that hasn't been grown at the proper level in the pot and that's more than I can say for probably 90% of the potted stuff I've seen for many years (let's just say more than 25 years and leave it at that). Plus they also have some species that you would have difficulty getting anywhere else locally. Now if you're starting to wonder if I have any "connections" with them don't even think about it because I don't. I'm just not ashamed to pass on info on a quality product when I know of it. I'm sure that there are many other "bargain places" to purchase plant material and some of them might even have some decent stuff- all I was trying to do was offer a choice just as you are offering a choice. The only difference is that I won't knock your sources because I haven't seen and planted their material.

Wholesale sources

You need to make the $ minimums.
You might be able to tag along early spring when they ship their normal clients.
Availability might be limited, most orders are placed and confirmed in the fall.

Leo Gentry Gresham Oregon
Colson's Nursery Bonners Ferry Idaho
J Frank Schmidt Boring Oregon
Forest Keeling Nursery Elsberry MO
Musser Forests Indiana PA
Morningstar Nursery Rives TN
Phytotektor Huntland TN
Bailey Nurseries St Paul MN

All have different specialties. All have bare root offerings along with finished product. All have been in business for decades supplying nurserymen across the country.

Good Luck

You are so cool, Doc! Thanks a bunch. It makes me wish I had 40 acres to plant.

Hey Doc, I see there that this is your very first posting at arboristsite. Your first time writing ANYTHING here, and you come through with a veritable <i>nugget</i> of information. Great leads, thank you for your contribution. This is one of the ways in which you change the world for the better.

OK, everybody else, give the noob a big warm welcome!

treedoc1 said:
You need to make the $ minimums.
You might be able to tag along early spring when they ship their normal clients.
Availability might be limited, most orders are placed and confirmed in the fall.

Leo Gentry Gresham Oregon
Colson's Nursery Bonners Ferry Idaho
J Frank Schmidt Boring Oregon
Forest Keeling Nursery Elsberry MO
Musser Forests Indiana PA
Morningstar Nursery Rives TN
Phytotektor Huntland TN
Bailey Nurseries St Paul MN

All have different specialties. All have bare root offerings along with finished product. All have been in business for decades supplying nurserymen across the country.

Good Luck
As stated, these are wholesale and therefore may not sell to small landowners. Some like Leo Gentry specialize in larger finished product, like large Laceleaf Japanese Maples that are quite expensive. J Frank Schmidt sells large volumes of bare root trees in larger (whips) sizes and are also getting into containers. Forest Keeling is more mid-western and may be easier to deal with. Along with Forest Keeling, Heartland in MO may be worth calling and produces a lot of Ginkgo etc.. Phytotector is mass quantities of smaller liners. Perhaps a similar operation is LAC, located just east of Louisville, KY. Bailey's is a huge operation and may not work with a small, actually retail customer. Here is a link to some Indiana locals: http://www.state.in.us/dnr/entomolo/pdfs/2003nur.pdf
Decide on species then make some calls and/or do an internet search.

Last edited:
You guys ARE great minds

YOW !!!!

You two just threw down, big. Those two posts pretty much covered the spectrum on where to source material.

Latest posts

Back