Looking to update climbing line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob b

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im looking to update my climbing line. I use drt but am going to try some srt what line and set up do you like?

if you want a rope to use for srt & drt you will need something that runs through acenders better then your standard 1/2'' rope. Alot of the acenders are designed for 7/16'', you can put your half inch rope through them but you run a higher risk of them opening on you. I have only ever used petzl ascenders and that was the case with the blue hand acsenders, crawl chest and the green pantin foot ascender. I have a separate 200ft static srt rope and samson static kernmantal and a 150ft xtc fire line for my regular dynamic setup.

I've been looking to buy a new Lava/Tachyon rope. Anyone know how well it works with a Pantin foot ascender? It's slightly smaller than the 1/2" XTC that I'm using now which runs pretty well through the Pantin.

I'm using Poison Ivy (same as Yale Blue Moon). When I researched it the double braid kernmantle was recommended as the best of both worlds for SRT and DRT. Not quite as stiff as a standard static line and knot friendly for DRT. 11.7MM so it runs well through cams.

Bottom line: It runs well through cams and is low stretch for SRT but is still supple enough and knot friendly for DRT. The best of both worlds. Mine has really grown on me. ;)

Back