Lopi Wood stoves.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well most everyone I know or talk to who has a Lopi likes it well enough. They are decently made stoves and do the job fairly well. However, I dislike the company due to their misleading and often plain wrong claims that they make on their stoves. I am not sure why you want a top loader, or if you are stuck on a certain type or what you are mainly using it for, but for that price I think you could find a bigger more efficient priced stove perhaps. I have seen that stove before and they do look nice though, but tiny firebox in them.

Well most everyone I know or talk to who has a Lopi likes it well enough. They are decently made stoves and do the job fairly well. However, I dislike the company due to their misleading and often plain wrong claims that they make on their stoves. I am not sure why you want a top loader, or if you are stuck on a certain type or what you are mainly using it for, but for that price I think you could find a bigger more efficient priced stove perhaps. I have seen that stove before and they do look nice though, but tiny firebox in them.

Im just used to using a top loader, it wont be a deal breaker if what I buy doesn't have one at this point. I have read several bad reviews on this stove since I originally posted yesterday and have talked to one member here who isn't pleased at all with his. Im gonna keep looking, thanks for the replies.

That Lopi is about as close a copy to a Vermont Resident Acclaim as is possible, even the way it works internally...

I had that Vermont for 10 years and it was a pretty good stove. But the secondary burn could be a pain and drove me nuts at times. It had to be run Hot and the fire had to be just right before the secondary damper was closed. If not right, it would back puff. Gasses build up inside then ignite all at once, small boom, big smoke in the house.

This Lopi might work better???

We went with Jotul after the Vermont and couldn't be happier.

Not everyone wants or needs a big stove with a huge fire box... just sayin. ;)

I am not sure why you want a top loader, or if you are stuck on a certain type or what you are mainly using it for, but for that price I think you could find a bigger more efficient priced stove perhaps.

sunfish that's why I put that I didn't know enough about the stove or it's intended uses to offer any useful suggestions. However I disagree with the "not everybody wants or needs a big stove with a huge firebox, now that is just crazy talk. :msp_scared: That is like saying no one needs/wants a cold beer on a hot day, that people hate hard woods, that a saw chain can be too sharp, a car too fast, a truck too tough, and a woman too hot! My mind is spinning down the rabbit hole from your statement, pull yourself together man!!:msp_biggrin:

To the OP we need more info to help steer you in the right general direction on stoves, such as what it is used for (heat, ambiance, cooking, backup), price range your willing to spend, general heating season for you, etc.

We have had that exact stove since the beginning of last winter, and it is absolutely fantastic. We have a 2000 sq.ft house in CT, and didn't need to use the oil burner once all winter. We burned about 6 cords of wood total. We paid a little over $2200. Love the top load feature!

sunfish that's why I put that I didn't know enough about the stove or it's intended uses to offer any useful suggestions. However I disagree with the "not everybody wants or needs a big stove with a huge firebox, now that is just crazy talk. :msp_scared: That is like saying no one needs/wants a cold beer on a hot day, that people hate hard woods, that a saw chain can be too sharp, a car too fast, a truck too tough, and a woman too hot! My mind is spinning down the rabbit hole from your statement, pull yourself together man!!:msp_biggrin:

Just my situation and not the norm I guess. :msp_biggrin:

To the OP we need more info to help steer you in the right general direction on stoves, such as what it is used for (heat, ambiance, cooking, backup), price range your willing to spend, general heating season for you, etc.

I am trying to replace my VC Vigilant wood stove. We use it for our primary heat source. I was trying to stay around $ 1000 originally, but when we started looking around we saw stuff that we liked out of that range and started thinking long term. I still want to spend as little as possible.

We are going to look at a Pacific Energy Super 27 on Saturday. I have been researching them and I see a lot of good reviews on the net. The dealer is only about 35 minutes away and claims that it is one of their best sellers. Stove, pedestal and ash pan package for $1800.

I have a Lopi Answer and love it. I think it's from the 90's. Got it off Craigslist for not much money. It's built like a tank and seems to be built a lot better than most of the new ones I saw in dealerships. Obviously, there are a lot of factors that make wood-burning a success, e.g. proper installation/venting, effeciency of house, good draw etc. Even though the Answer is small, I can easily hit 90 degrees on the top floor if I'm not careful. I liked it so much that I bought a Lopi Patriot to heat an addition on my house. Haven't hooked it up yet, but I'm looking forward cutting down the electric bill on that side of my house. I can't speak for newer models, but I'm very pleased with the one I've got.

Dusty and I chatted a bit via PM, but I thought I'd share my opinion here as well.

Looks like the Leyden is the worst stove from Lopi. I'd go so far as to say it's the worst stove, period, barring a plastic can with a rubber chimney sticking out of a cardboard box.

I would happily get rid of mine if I had the $ to get something else, but things are tight right now and 8 kids eat a lot of food! :msp_scared:

Anyway, here's a little link to some reviews of the Leyden.
Reviews of the Lopi Leyden | Wise Heat Review 16398

Dusty and I chatted a bit via PM, but I thought I'd share my opinion here as well.

Looks like the Leyden is the worst stove from Lopi. I'd go so far as to say it's the worst stove, period, barring a plastic can with a rubber chimney sticking out of a cardboard box.

I would happily get rid of mine if I had the $ to get something else, but things are tight right now and 8 kids eat a lot of food! :msp_scared:

Anyway, here's a little link to some reviews of the Leyden.
Reviews of the Lopi Leyden | Wise Heat Review 16398

Just like the Vermont Castings Acclaim. The soft refractory as no business in a wood burning stove. It's a consumable and will need replacing on a regular basses. It's also expensive! PITA!

The Jotul we replace the VC with has no refractory in the firebox at all. Much better design!!!

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to comment on my Lopi and ask a Q.

I have a Lopi Revere insert. I've owned if for about 10 years. I have a 2300 ft2 ranch in Westchester Co, NYS. The stove is installed in my masonry fireplace with a SS flue liner top to bottom. The stove is in my basement and there's no door at the foot of the stairs. If I keep that stove going round the clock, I can pretty much heat the house. That said, we keep the thermos at about 60. Downstairs NEVER goes on, living room almost never(I turn it up at dinner etc) and bedrooms occasionally, late at night.
This year has been my best ever. I owe it all to the purchase of these:
http://www.amazon.com/DraftShield-Central-Vent-Cover--CA1414/dp/B00H3LDW9U/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421849426&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=ac lovuver covers
They really tightened things up! I don't know why I waited so long . . . 'er I do, they're $300 to do the whole house. Well worth it IMHO.
Anyway, great little stove. Dad's got the same setup with similar experience.

Plusses:
Stove burns well, is easy to control and rarely have draft issues.
Has no CAT.
Glass stays pretty clean.
Has secondary burner BYPASS which helps keep smoke out of house when you open the door.
Nice finish. Hit it with stove polish spring and fall and will stay like new.
Minuses:
The cool-O bypass has warped and doesn't open much any more.
There's a smoke shelf up top which has to be cleaned. It's a bit of a PITA, but easy enough. I only found it this year and will do it annually. If your Lopi is not burning "right" and has draft issues, look into this area.

Question:
Does anyone have the blower? It's a pricey item and I've put off buying it. The place I bought mine from said it feels good but doesn't really do anything in terms of heat output. A friend has one and loves it. Like I said, they're about $300.

My wife and I also have a Revere and love it. We heat a 2100 sq ft ranch. This house was built in 1959 and still has the original three pane crank out/roll out windows. Some don't even close all the way lol It still keeps the house around 72 or higher.

We have the blower and run it all the time. Never ran it without so not sure if it really helps or not. It is very noisy. I want to turn it off but she want let me lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

We have the Avalon Olympic with a blower. Kissin cuzzin to Lopi I think. Anyhow, about the blower... If it makes noise, then take it out to the shop and work it over with your air compressor. Accumulated dust & linty stuff is what you want to get rid of. Ours is an insert. If I could have it freestanding in a wide open room, then I would ditch the blower & circulate with a ceiling fan.

I have owned my Revere insert since we purchased it new, over 15 years ago. I've replaced the three round tubes with holes in them, & replaced all the metal above the bricks in stove. Overall I don't think you can't go wrong with a Lopi Stove. The stoves are made here in Mukilteo,Wa by Travis Industries. Travis industries also make the Avalon line of wood stoves. Easy to get parts & fix yourself. Craigslist is a great place to find used Lopi,etc.... wood stoves. Just make sure you by a certified stove, not someones crap, unless it doesn't matter where it is going.

Back