Loppers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdmp22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am in the market for a good set of loppers

I have been looking @ the fiskars line....

Too many options....

What works best? I want something that stays sharp, cuts easy and hopefully under 50 bucks...but will consider anything

Thanks in advance

Bypass cutters for green wood - trees and bushes you want to prune and keep.

Anvil cutters for dead wood and removals where you don't care.

I bought a pair of Gilmore anvil lopers with steel handles that lasted me a long time, then had a part break. When I contacted them for a replacement part, they sent me a whole new pair under a lifetime guarantee, so I bought a pair of by-pass lopers to match, out of appreciation. But I am not sure that they are the same quality as the old ones.

Part of the problem is that the design seems to change periodically with many brands, like they are being made by someone else. I have seen some nice looking ones with ash handles at Ace hardware (their brand) on sale a few times. $30 - $40. It is probably where I would look. Otherwise, Corona, Fiskars, Sears, might be options.

Philbert

Thanks, I am standing here @ lowes.....they have lots of corona and a 1 fiskar....(the 28" bypass)

I kinda like the idea of the fiskar with gear teeth (which is not @ lowes)

Are the corona's any good?

Again, thanks, I am looking @ the corona classic cut super duty...lowes p/n 82581...they look beefy...a little pricey, but big jaws...they claim 3" cut...the fiskars are 1 5/8

I will assume the max cut is like anything else....if it say 3, it will do 2 to 2 1/2.....3 once in a blue moon if you really need it to.

I would like to consistantly cut 2" and smaller with no issues

Sears is across the street, I will head over there for comparison sake

Then maybe back to lowes

Just don't want to spend 30-50 for one time use crap....harbor freight is a mile away if I want one time use crap

Ok, sears has a pair that looks just like the corona @ lowes only irs 3 dollars cheaper and says, "forever guarentee"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I may just go with this one

Hmmmmmmmmmm oh look chainsaws...........

Leaving now with new loppers....and some shiny new rubber "T" handle torx wrenches

This is why I don't like shopping on payday....too much other cool stuff to blow my money on

Oh and pics or it didn't happen.....

IMG_20110811_195153.jpg

Corona makes good stuff.

The problem is that they also market chineese junk with thier name on it to homeowners through the Box stores.

If it has the lifetime warranty, it's good. If not, run away.

Corona will back up thier stuff, except for handles. Somewhere around here is a set of Corona Loppers that has been part warranty replaced to the point of new every 3-4 years, since I was a kid.

Keep an eyeball on the screws, and keep them tight.
Fiberglass filler and fiberglass wrapping the inletting is the ticket if you are obcessive.

If ya got the Aluminum handled jobs, go easy. They WILL bull through 4" stuff, but once the handles start to bend, they keep going. I have one pair that need handles again, and I'm thinking of going back to wood. Just too easy to bend the things, and too costly to replace every other year.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I have several sets of coronas laying around with broken wooden handles. They make steel handle ones which might be good. I worked a a place where the owner purchased 150.00 loppers(don't remember the brand) they were so heavy no one used them. I have a pair of fiskars i bought at home Depoe for 25.00 and been using them for 2 years now, mostly up in the trees. I also have this little sharpener, it has a piece of carbide on the end and you scrape the edge on, works great.

Fiskars and Corona make good stuff.

Like Philbert said, get a bypass and anvil style lopper.

I don't understand the bypass vs anvil, the suggestion that anvil is for dead stuff and bypass is for live stuff.

I know nothing but what I have learned in 33 years of reforestation. Anvil good, bypass bad. I don't really care for how the bypass loppers work. The anvil type seems to work much better.

So, educate me. I don't think I buy the anvil pinches theory. I don't see it happening.

I don't understand the bypass vs anvil, the suggestion that anvil is for dead stuff and bypass is for live stuff.

I know nothing but what I have learned in 33 years of reforestation. Anvil good, bypass bad. I don't really care for how the bypass loppers work. The anvil type seems to work much better.

So, educate me. I don't think I buy the anvil pinches theory. I don't see it happening.

Buy both and see. Anvil always pinches and tears some bark (especially on thin barked trees), no matter how careful you are.

Bypass pruners will give you a more precise, clean cut. Better for compartmentilize(CODIT). Anvil is more of a crushing cut and not as accurate but I find more powerful which is nice for deadwood. Please correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.

Not saying I am right here, just an observation. Going through doing work I encounter both live and dead wood. I own both and have owned both, and it seems the bypass get left hanging from a branch somewhere because the anvil works better.

I don't understand the bypass vs anvil, the suggestion that anvil is for dead stuff and bypass is for live stuff. . . . I don't think I buy the anvil pinches theory.

Anvil will cut everything - live or dead, but uses more of a crushing action, compressing live fibers between the wedge and the anvil.

Bypass uses more of a shearing action, so it cuts cleaner (if the blades are sharp) on live wood, but has a harder time on dead fibers.

If you don't care (e.g. trail clearing) - the anvil pruners will cut everything. If you are pruning ornamentals, you probably also want a pair of bypass loppers.

My experience and opinion.

Philbert

Anvil will cut everything - live or dead, but uses more of a crushing action, compressing live fibers between the wedge and the anvil.

Bypass uses more of a shearing action, so it cuts cleaner (if the blades are sharp) on live wood, but has a harder time on dead fibers.

If you don't care (e.g. trail clearing) - the anvil pruners will cut everything. If you are pruning ornamentals, you probably also want a pair of bypass loppers.

My experience and opinion.

Philbert

What are you meaning by ornamentals in this case? I am pruning hardwoods such as oaks, walnut, hickory, maple.

Back