lost job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewoolsey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so i was hired to take out a mulberry tree , so i thought , i under bid a tree co. that travel threw , any way i was told by owner to do it , best to wait till after the first on the year so i had it planed for tomarrow , but seen 2 guys in the tree new years day cutting it down , i stopped and asked what was they doing , the guy who is renting the home said he hired them and he was paying for it , i told him i was hired to do it by the owner, i told him thats not right, what would you say or do ?

Sucks but it happens.. Next time if it happens with a ho (no renter involved) call him up all excited and say a company is allowing us to demo a "new piece of equipment" which will allow us to remove your mulberry tree at a fraction of the time we estimated it for. As a courtesy of our company we'll be there in a couple days to do the job for free. The silence on the other end of the phone is priceless..

Sucks but it happens.. Next time if it happens with a ho (no renter involved) call him up all excited and say a company is allowing us to demo a "new piece of equipment" which will allow us to remove your mulberry tree at a fraction of the time we estimated it for. As a courtesy of our company we'll be there in a couple days to do the job for free. The silence on the other end of the phone is priceless..

Or tell him you have a rich client who wants the whole tree as one thats exactly like his on his expansive tree lined drive has died and his daughters wedding is in a couple weeks and its crucial for the pictures. Tell him you will split the 20k with the owner 50/50 and ask if cash is fine.

what to do

this is part of the business. just remember those 2 guys and maybe you can steal one back from them in the future. they were working on new years day?... thats bad for business and a good way to piss off the neighbors. i call that ammo.

this is part of the business. just remember those 2 guys and maybe you can steal one back from them in the future. they were working on new years day?... thats bad for business and a good way to piss off the neighbors. i call that ammo.

Thats one of the biggest problems in this business... if you cant do it right away you always run the risk of them changing their mind, getting underbid or the buddy showing up that "knows how to cut down a tree". I never agree with the take a deposit idea but situations like that can make it look more interesting... but then again a signed contract with agreed cancellation fee if they hire someone else may also do the job.

thanks guys , he came by and said he was sorry he didnt know for sure that he was going to do that for rent, right , he said he will have tree work for me at his house next winter , i bet not ?

Another reason to have a contract!!!!!!!! I got tired of that BS along time ago, they have 3 days to cancel the contract after signing, after that if another company does the tree or they contract anyone else they still owe the amount agreed upon cause they breached the contract!!!!

I have only had 2-3 people do what you mentioned to me after signing...........I tell em well according to the contract you are still responsible for the full amount, however Ill accept 50% of the agreed to price!!! funny thing is all of em when I did this paid me but complained that they thought they were saving money & now having gone through all that spent the same or more!!!

I like when you drive by & see the 2ft high stump cause they didnt have a big enough saw to cut it lower or dulled the crap outta it............even funnier when I get the call to grind the stump, same contract again & I hit em hard for being cheap previously!!!!

LXT...............

Latest posts

Back