Lost my best friend yesterday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about your loss. When you are ready, get a new dog there are many that could use a good home.

Sorry to hear that. Losing a dog is tough. I have one old huntin buddy that is probably not long for this world but he is going to live on, in what he teaches this little monster.
ry%3D480

A little playtime. At least for Rifle. Gunner is looking a little bored.
ry%3D480

Last edited:
Those are news I don't like to hear. Been down that road a couple times. I know what your are going through.

Maybe after you have had time to heal, you can adopt another.

There are thousands of dogs in shelters acrossed the country, that desperately want to be somebody's buddy.

If you find the right one, maybe you can help each other out!

Hang in there. A new dog may come your way soon and, while not a replacement, may start a new chapter in your life.

BB ( both of whose dogs hate chainsaws btw.. )

I feel for you Sir.

There are so many that will view this thread and don't relay the same, but thats ok too.

Aint nothing like a DOG.

I had to call my two current buds over just to pet them for no other reason.

I'm choked up for you, and I'm PISSED at the retarded one right now. Wife grilled me a ribeye earlier and he snagged it off the counter..... He's younger and bigger than the older one, and it shows between them, not to mention he's stupid. Oh, he knows he's in the piss now, and displaying perfect hearing and obedience you'd swear he was incapable of, he's just young and hyper most of the rest of the time.

In the last week a friend at work and my own biL have lost their Dad's. I sympathize with them for they were there when my Dad passed not too long ago. It isn't the same as the dogs I've buried.

But the Dogs. They give and they live. And you have to accept their short life span.

But you'll have another, try one every four years, mix and match, most real dog owners don't get a bad one because its a one way street for them, and they like their own kind too.

I can tell you there will never be a time when I don't have a dog in my house, and never be regretful when one has to pass on, only that I COULDN'T GIVE AS MUCH TO THE DOG AS HE EVER GAVE ME.

Sorry for the loss of your best friend.

My Weimaraner is going to be 11 next month and I can't imagine what it will be like losing him.

Sorry for the loss they are part of the family. My yellow lab Gunner (a duck dog) has been fighting cancer. Removed the tumor and had chemo treatments, I didn't want to do it, but it turnes out dogs don't have the side effects that people do (didn't want to put him through that.) K-State vets say treatment is 90% effective. I hope they're right. 10 years he's turned into one expensive dog. But I'll never have a friend more loyal. Hang in there.

Hang in there. A new dog may come your way soon and, while not a replacement, may start a new chapter in your life.

BB ( both of whose dogs hate chainsaws btw.. )

The aforementioned chainsaw wussies. They are now employed in the field of woodpile security.

Cindy Lou - Chief of Security. Min-Pin w/....Chihuahua(?). Granny Lap-Dog of the year runner-up. Has charged a 200+ lb. black bear ( perhaps a bit over-ambitious for 10 lbs. )
attachment.php

Spike - Junior Security Deputy and Enforcer ( as long as it's not too dangerous ). Certified Bull Terrier(?) Mutt. Dreams of becoming the RCA dog.
attachment.php

i know what ur goin through i just had to put my 10 year old yellow lab "moose" to sleep this past tuesday it upset me and my family to see such a good companion go at this point they become a regular family member. she had multiple tumors that had spread all throughout her organs she didnt even act different until a week ago.sad times i feel for u man:cry:

They live on forever

I lost haus, my favorite dog ever a few years ago. He was the toughest dog that ever lived. He was 100 lb black lab that lived all of his 15 years outside. My favortie story is my bro and i came home from a party one night and heard some noise back in the woods. We went back with the dog and there was the neighbors havin a big ole party in the woods. We joined in and were havin a few cold ones when a couple of people were comin through the woods with flashlights. I yelled up at them and called them sissies (sort of) and they turned out to be sheriffs. Well i was only 20 years old back then and the cops thought i needed a ride home. I had old haus with me and i told the officers i couldnt leave him behind. Well me and my dog haus went for a 2 minute ride in the back of the cop car together. I got home and the sheriffs wanted to talk to my mom about what was going on. Mom opened the door to see her youngest son and his dog standing between two sheriffs with the saddest of looks on our face. Mom burst out laughing and barely got the words "put the dog up and go to bed" out. She came back in after a few minutes and couldn't stop laughing.

Its memories like these that keeps him right by my side.

Thanks to everyone! I think I will wait a year then get a new one, I know I will need some time he was more like a four legged son to me.
I know the next one will be different might look the same but be his own dog.

I avoid posts about someones buddy passing on, namely because it does nothing but remind me of the buddies that have passed on over the coarse of my life.Like many of you, I have had many four legged friends, and at times I wondered how I ever got over the grief when they passed on.

But I know one thing, without them my life would have been much emptier without their unwavering loyalty, their forgiveness of all my faults, and their ability to take pleasure in the simplest things in life.And for that, I read your posts about your four legged buddies and simply marvel how god knew enough to send a companion into our lives when we needed them most. One that would always be there when the days dont go so good, when even the coldest days are upon us and the need for a loyal companion are at its greatest.

As I sit here in my warm workshop, I cant help but glance over by the woodstove where Abigail lays,patiently waiting until its time to close up and head to the house.She would rather be here on a dirty blanket spread by a simple barrel stove instead of her nice and soft bed in the house.She ignores the whine of the die grinders, the dust of the grinding wheels, and the chatter of the impact wrench.There is little doubt as to why she prefers this crude place than any others, her friend is here and that is her place alongside me.

Thanks again Austin for reminding me of the gift that has been given to me.

Sorry for your loss. As most everyone here, I lost the best dog I have ever had last fall while we were away on vacation. Being away at the time made things harder coupled with a feeling of being helpless. Plain and simple, it sucks. Not to hijack the thread, but I added a picture of Trooper as a pup. And the second is the picture I use a cropped image of for my avatar.

I am so sorry for your loss....I cant say it ever gets easier because it doesnt. It IS losing a family member for me. The only people out there who have never loved a dog are those you havent been loved by a dog. Once you are loved by a dog, you cant imagine not having that dog to love.

When I first read this thread I knew I would be felling what you are going through soon.Last night I had to put down my German Shepherd that was 13 years old.His name was Zeus.He couldn't't walk on his own anymore.I'm trying to deal with it now.I told my wife that if we kept him in the condition like he was we might stop loving him after a while and I didn't't want that to happen.
We would say that we wish he would not wake up.I then realized then that we were being selfish and it was our duty to do the right thing.I woke up this morning (12 am ) and decided that I am going to get another dog soon.
He needs me and we need him.Hope this helps.

Zeus's best friend

Back